Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should We Have Drafted Groom Instead?

Riggo-toni

With the recent Waffle signing, it looks like Ham Sandwich is practice squad material and liable to get snatched up someplace else. Considering how awful our punting game was last season, does anyone wish we had drafted Groom instead, and tried to pick up Hamdone as an UDFA instead? I don't feel to great having Barthy and Barker battle it out. Granted Groom or Tupa is goona get cut from Tampa, but.....

Considering the lack of good QBs schooled in the way of the Fun n Gun, we needed to make absolutly sure we grabed a guy we could groom for the future.

One of the biggest problems with the Fun n Gun at this point is the lack of QBs, even veterans, who can step in and make it work. It's not like running the west coast O where there are a bunch of guys floating around who can step in, learn some new terminology and be productive.

That said, I voted for #3. :D

Funky

He may not have been on our radar but I would not be too sure that a bunch of pro scouts had not noticed his size and that big arm. All I'm saying is considering our need for a developmental QB I would rather not take the risk.

That and J Lo kissing Britney would be hot. :D

Originally posted by Funkyalligator

Hamden wasn't on anyone elses radar....he played what....8 games in his whole college career....give me a break of course he would have been there as a free agent...we should have taken Groom!!!

there was a rumor going around that TB or San Fran were going to take him in the 7th

I can't believe we drafted Hambone or whoever in the first place!

The guy played only a couple games. He could have been signed as a free agent anyway if we wanted to sign him. Then he starts haggling over a few bucks as a 7th round draft choice! I would have told him to hit the road. I guess you know how I feel about whether we should have drafted Groom?? YES

I think the Redskins miscalculated the interest in Groom. They thought they were going to be able to get both Hamdan and Groom.

One can argue with a #7 pick, but at #250 in the draft you are often talking about players who are a long shot to be NFL performers.

If the Cowboys were indeed prepared to take Hamdan and he develops into a decent NFL quarterback, will anyone complain? :)

I might have taken Groom myself given the obvious needs at punter.

However, I can see the FO argument that a youngster who comes through at quarterback will in the end result be worth more to the organization from his position than the punter would be from his (unless he were a Ray Guy or Jerrel Wilson, which I don't think anyone is saying right now).

Groom may have miscalculated too by signing with Tampa. Gruden, defending a Super Bowl title, will probably choose to retain Tupa and play it conservative by sticking to his guys from last year.

Groom will really have to outkick him to win the job.

I think he will be looking for work in a few weeks.

Do you guys know for sure Hamdan would have been available as a free agent? Somehow we assume everybody else was not interested. Do you even know that the Skins would definitely have been able to sign him?

It doesn't matter how many games he played in college. Afterall, the runner up for the Heisman trophy did not get drafted. What scouts look for, he has in abundance - arm strength and intelligence - especially in a developmental QB.

Here's what I saw with Hamdan. He's got all the tools, he just hasn't had enough time to learn the system. I see Hamdan as an investment. The team spent a 7th round pick on him, Spurrier is noted for being a QB coach, if Spurrier can coach him up and make him into an NFL qb, that 7th round pick becomes a higher pick in return for a trade. Spurrier is good with QB's, why not draft a project that has all the physical gifts and make him into something that you can trade for a higher value later on.

Archived