Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two more Seattle area Police officers shot-1 on life suppport/1 expected to survive

ljs

This makes 7 shot in the last 7 weeks- 5 already dead and these 2 could likely die. Sickening. Pierce County is just south of Seattle. Tacoma actually and the same county where the 4 officers who were murdered in the coffee shop 2 weeks ago.

I'm waiting for the officers names to be released, I went to the acacdemy with a dozen of them, and trained with several throughout the years.

http://www.king5.com/news/Officer-involved-shooting-in-Pierce-County-79875477.html

click link for entire article

EATONVILLE, Wash.—Two Pierce County sheriff's officers responding to a dispute between two brothers were ambushed by one of the brothers lying in wait with a gun after being welcomed into the home by the other, authorities said. The gunman was killed and the officers were seriously wounded.

One deputy is in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, the other is in serious condition at Madigan Army Medical Center.

The shooting is the third in three months in which authorities say a gunman has taken aim at law enforcement officials in Washington state.

Pierce County Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said a sergeant and a deputy were shot at around 8:45 p.m. Monday while responding to a dispute between David Crable and his brother near Eatonville, a rural community in the Cascade foothills.

David Crable, 35, shot the two officers before he was killed when they returned fire, Troyer said. The names of the officers were not immediately released.

The officers were greeted at the door by Crable's brother, while Crable was in the house arming himself, Troyer said. When the deputies entered the house, Crable opened fire from upstairs, hitting one of the officers multiple times.

"This is somebody that was laying in wait for our guys, armed themselves, with the intent on shooting them," Troyer told reporters near the shooting scene. "There's not much we're going to be able to do when somebody is hiding and arming themselves and we have somebody else inviting us into the residence and the second person opens fire on us."

Gosh, It doesnt seem to end.

LJS, I feel so bad for you knowing that you may be friends with some of the victims.

Is there some form of gang war or something going on or is this normal for the area?

No evidence that any of the shooters knew each other- so this is more of a coincidence that it has all happened near the same times. The first cop killer was a Criminal Justice degree holder, who had a grudge and took it out on a random cop, plus he is suspected of fire bombing the police cars a week before.

The second guy totally unrelated grudge, and the third one seems like just another guy who hates cops, and also seems like he was harassing everyone he knew.

One friend from the academy, also a Pierce Co. Deputy was shot and killed last year while responding to a fight at a party- I think I posted it. Its hard since I rarely talk to any of them now that I'm out of police work, but the friendships remain and its always hard to hear about this stuff.

You can bet that the police force is going to deal with whoever they catch with the murder weapon.

the officers who were shot were able to return fire and kill the suspect.

Not necessarily relevant, but I remember, decades ago, an article in Life about cops killed in the line of duty.

One of the things they mentioned was that, if you break down all of the cops killed, nationwide, for the previous year, according to "what were they doing when they died?", the most common activity was "traffic stop". The article explained that one reason for this was because the officer is walking into a situation that's supposed to be purely routine, but the cop doesn't know that the suspect is fleeing some other crime, and the suspect thinks the cop is about to arrest him for murder or some such. And the fact that it's very easy for a suspect to have a weapon in his car, which the cop can't see as he approaches.

The article also said that if you break down "what were they doing?" and divide by "how often do cops do this activity", that the most dangerous thing a cop can do (in terms of "odds of the cop dying on this call" was "domestic disturbance". For similar reasons. It's a call that's supposed to be low-intensity. But the cop is walking into a situation where there may be weapons concealed anywhere (and the suspects know about them but the cops don't), and the suspects feel like their space in invaded and they're defending themselves, and there are two potential threats that the cops have to keep track of.

some update- one deputy is on life support and won't likely make it. The other is awake, in serious condition but able to talk.

a bit more details

The deputies arrived just before 9 p.m. and convinced Crable, who was intoxicated, to leave the house, Troyer said.

Investigators say Crable went upstairs, saying he needed to get some clothes, but came out and fired about 10 shots at the two deputies from just a few feet away.

"At some point he changed his mind about taking the ride out of there and opened fire on the deputies," Troyer said.

Mundell, 44, was hit multiple times, but managed to shoot back and kill Crable, Troyer said.

Hausner, 43, was also shot, and Crable's brother and daughter pulled him into another room and gave him first aid until medics arrived, Troyer said.

"We don't have any reason to believe any family member was in on this. They were simply trying to get (the deputy) removed from the residence."

Mundell was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where he is listed in critical condition. Troyer said Mundell is unconscious and on life-support.

"Doctors say we just need to wait," Troyer said. "There's parts of the body that aren't covered by bullet-proof vests. Unfortunately, when you're in close quarters... and you fire 10 rounds you're going to hit people, and that's what happened."

Mundell is married, and has a 16-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son. He has been with the department for eight years.

Hausner, who joined the sheriff's office 20 years ago, was taken to Madigan Army Medical Center at Fort Lewis and is expected to survive. His wife, 14-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter were taken to be with him at the hospital.

Troyer said Crable was not supposed to be at the house because of the protection order against him, and his daughter was living there with his brother.

"He has a history of domestic violence, protection orders, weapons, threats, he assaulted his 15-year-old daughter, been convicted of DV-related crimes," Troyer said.

"Prosecutors prosecuted him on all of these cases, he served a little bit of jail time, the domestic violence orders were in place. It just shows that if somebody is Hell-bent on doing something like this, to family members or officers, there's nothing really you're going to do to stop them."

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/79894612.html

LJS, are these random or is there some kind of war going on?

That is really bad.

~Bang

its just bad/random...here are some more examples.

Even this last week, a guy tried to shoot 2 Spokane Deputies. Opened the door pointing a gun, they managed to return fire and hit him twice. He's alive in the hospital..

Sunday morning, 3 criminals did a drive by on a Gooding Idaho Police Officers house while his family slept inside.

Not too long ago, in Stevens County( North of Spokane), a criminal with a grudge was walking down a street, saw a Stevens County Sheriff car in the driveway (take home car), went up and kicked in the door and got into a shoot out with the off-duty Deputy inside while his family was home. Both the Deputy and the suspect were shot in the shootout. The two had never crossed paths before, it was a spur of the moment attack.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some tendency for these things to escalate, too. People read about something that happened, and it makes them think. I'd bet that the cops in that town have been behaving differently, lately. (Not saying that's a bad thing. Just different.)

Just saying that it wouldn't amaze me if something like this happening once, makes it more likely to happen again.

Its hard since I rarely talk to any of them now that I'm out of police work, but the friendships remain and its always hard to hear about this stuff.

For what it's worth, & despite how you may feel about me, I'm sorry this is happening. Especially since you seem to know some of these guys that are involved (the victims, I mean). This must be really hard on you.

the officers who were shot were able to return fire and kill the suspect.

Good. No need for a trial & countless time, energy, & money spent on deciding whether these people should be or should not be brought to justice. Justice has been served.

For what it's worth, & despite how you may feel about me, I'm sorry this is happening. Especially since you seem to know some of these guys that are involved (the victims, I mean). This must be really hard on you.

Good. No need for a trial & countless time, energy, & money spent on deciding whether these people should be or should not be brought to justice. Justice has been served.

obviously this is a very tough subject for me, but I know people don't understand my view, just as its hard for me to understand theirs. Thanks, and I'm one to move forward, do my best to not hold grudges.

It seems criminals are getting more violent overall lately,at least in my eyes.

We've lost a couple recently to shootings and had several other close calls.

Don't know if it is related to the tough economy or just general disrespect for life....Guarantee ya the cops are on edge

for damn shame, this crap continues..three more cops are shot at this morning while trying to pull over a car.

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=11722246

2 nights ago, two of my former co-workers were shot at while chasing a theft suspect (they stole an ATM from a convenient store). Luckily none of the officers were injured in either of these shootings.

Why is everyone going crazy??

Archived