Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Haynesworth questions role, leadership

authentic

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/haynesworth-questions-role-lea.html#more

Asked whether that leadership needed to come from coaches or players, Haynesworth said, "I'm going to leave that up to you. You can take it however you want to."

He left little doubt, though, that he does not believe the style defensive coordinator Greg Blache has asked him to play in Washington suits him. He said he was allowed to rush upfield more during his seven years as a Tennessee Titan.

"That's what I did in Tennessee," Haynesworth said. "I was successful at it. I just rushed and they let me go and I was winning a bunch of games and things like that, and we was up there in the top two or three in sacks and defense and defensive line, and we did well. You see [defensive coordinator Jim] Schwartz got a head coaching job from it [in Detroit]. Hey, maybe we need to try that here."

Asked if the Redskins' style was holding him back, Haynesworth said: "Maybe a little bit. Yeah. Yeah.

"It's totally different from what I thought. I looked at the film and thought it was somewhat the same, and they needed somebody like me to go in there and rush and open it up and get double teams and stuff like that, which we've done, but if they let us loose, it'd be a whole lot better."

Haynesworth recorded six tackles against the Giants, including a sack of New York quarterback Eli Manning, his fourth sack in 11 games this year; he missed three games with an ankle injury.

Clearly, though, the results from the season have gotten to Haynesworth. He is guaranteed $41 million over the course of his contract -- which, at the time of his signing, was the most money ever guaranteed to one player. But when he was asked whether he was glad he signed with Washington, he paused several seconds.

"Um, yeah," he said. "I mean, yeah. I like the guys here and stuff. Dan's [snyder] been great and everything, but putting this in this season right now makes it hard to say, 'Oh I really appreciate being here.' But I know this is a great organization; we can always bounce back from it."

I understand what Bmitch was trying to say last night. But after reading what Fat Al said, in context, I may have to side with Al on this one. Though the whole bit about getting Schwartz a coaching job was a bit over the top.

I uncannily just posted on this in another thread.

Haynesworth's got a valid and pertinent point about the lack of leadership and direction, and hopefully that will be addressed with a clear out in two games time.

But on the other side of that, he needs to look at himself and his own personal attitude towards this organization that is making him an incredibly rich man.

One can only hope that the new GM, along with Coach Shanahan or whom ever, stamps their authority down HARD on the players from the get go, and changes the entire culture here. Starting with the off-season, and demanding they all show up here at our facility, when we want them, and work there ass' off to our fitness regime. Everyone needs to be treated the same, form long shot walk-on, to so called $100 million super-stars. Your either 100% committed, or we're gona' come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Haynesworth can be a beast. But being a beast for one play, then taking 5 off gasping for air and throwing up on the sideline kinda' defeats the object.

Hail.

The problem with Al isn't the scheme. It's the fact that every game he is getting helped off the field. This is because he is totally out of shape. He's missed 3 games for a mild ankle sprain. And hardly ever practices. He could be one of the best of all time. But he lacks the overall desire to work. He will be a bust.

The problem with Al isn't the scheme. It's the fact that every game he is getting helped off the field. This is because he is totally out of shape. He's missed 3 games for a mild ankle sprain. And hardly ever practices. He could be one of the best of all time. But he lacks the overall desire to work. He will be a bust.
He was the same Al in Tenn, missing games and out of shape.

He still managed to get "sacks and stuff", like idiot boy used to say.

How is it not the scheme?

I don't care what ANYBODY who can't be on the field more than 1 or 2 downs out of 4 has to say. He can STFU. He dragged his ass off the field every other down for the whole night and was on the bench or on a knee sucking wind during the key drives. Get a big, big mirror fat al.

Haynesworth is absolutely right about this.

Our defense is passive and the coaches have proven to be stubbornly mediocre.

Orakpo at LB? come on Blache!

We have a talented secondary but they play 10 yds off the reciever in a weak *** zone defense.

Let Haynesworth and Orakpo get after it every down and it will get better.

"We took the stadium over," Brandon Jacobs said. "You know, that's what we do every year here. We come to D.C., half of the stadium is Giants fans. And by the end of the fourth quarter, all the Washington fans is gone and it ends up just like it is....It feels great. It feels great to go into any stadium and take it over. But it's a two-hour train ride, and people made the trip, and we was excited to see a lot of fans here."

STFU Jacobs. Haynesworth go stomp on his head!!

I'm taking Big Al's side on this one. We never seem to adjust to the style of the players we have. It seems like the coaches have their way of doing things and never want to change. We have very talented players on defense, yet we hardly have any turnovers. Why? Because we are one of the least aggresive defenses in the league.

I don't care what ANYBODY who can't be on the field more than 1 or 2 downs out of 4 has to say. He can STFU. He dragged his ass off the field every other down for the whole night and was on the bench or on a knee sucking wind during the key drives. Get a big, big mirror fat al.

this is the same Al from a year ago. He wasn't a every down guy with tenn....why would you assume he would be wit us? You act like he changed when he came here.

Correct. And look how they're using Orakpo. I've heard many ex-coaches and analyst say let the guy do what he does best and that's constantly rushing the passer.

You wonder if something like this is common sense to us as fans, why is it so difficult for the coaches to understand this? I'm mean, if they (the coaches) care more about personal pride than placing the best players in the best position to make plays, even if it means that the coaches need to conform or adjust when they normally do. Its really a shame, and i can't wait for the season to be over so these idoit boxes could get out of here!

You wonder if something like this is common sense to us as fans, why is it so difficult for the coaches to understand this? I'm mean, if they (the coaches) care more about personal pride than placing the best players in the best position to make plays, even if it means that the coaches need to conform or adjust when they normally do. Its really a shame, and i can't wait for the season to be over so these idoit boxes could get out of here!

I think coaches begin to believe the hype that it's all about the "system". The players are secondary to the "system". Part of it is ego, I'm sure.

This is a reason the hiring of Shanahan is a little unsettling for me. He is a guy who believes his "system" is more important than adapting to the players.

Hubris could once again prevent this franchise from being a winner.

LaVar Arrington, Jason Taylor, LaRon Landry... and now Albert Haynesworth. We continuously do this.

Greg, Jim, Dan, whoever, please just let players play.

Don't forget the newest addition Orakpo. Draft the best speed rushing D-End in college and turn him into SAM. This crap never fails to amaze me. I wonder who the brain trust behind all these idiot moves are. Does any one in the staff watch other speed rushers, Jared Allen, Osi, etc and wonder what Orakpo would be like if we just let him play his god given talent. Im so sick of seeing this trend of playing all these players out of position.

I think coaches begin to believe the hype that it's all about the "system". The players are secondary to the "system". Part of it is ego, I'm sure.

This is a reason the hiring of Shanahan is a little unsettling for me. He is a guy who believes his "system" is more important than adapting to the players.

Hubris could once again prevent this franchise from being a winner.

Hopefully Shanahan gets players to fit his system and not just use what we have.

Blache??? I dont know what to say about him I think he still thinks he can play that soft zone like he did in Chicago

this is the same Al from a year ago. He wasn't a every down guy with tenn....why would you assume he would be wit us? You act like he changed when he came here.

You are more than wrong. I saw Al take plays off in Tennessee. Unlike alotta people I actually watch more than the redskins...

Every down! HA!!! He was barely on the field monday night. He couldn't make it off the field before the ball was snapped, I can't believe they didn't flag him several times.... He didn't hustle onto the field either.

He quit when it comes to his conditioning. He makes a difference when he cares, he could've made a difference but quit and is throwing stones in a glass house.

I'm not defending Blache... but Al is fat, out of shape and a hypocrite.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that he's right. We've pretty much seen all year that Blache isn't being aggressive and that players are horribly out of position on many plays.

That said, Fat Al needs to get his big rear end in the gym during the offseason and stay away from the late night all-you-can-eat buffet at IHOP and take Papa John's off his speed dial.

Archived