Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Pick will be no worse than 12th overall

hitmandm

In terms of draft position this was an important loss for us. We are now locked in for no less than the 12th pick. If we would have won, that drops to the 19th pick. Can you imagine suffering through such a dismal season and drafting 19th? This means if everyone who has less than 7 wins loses all their games and we win our next 2, we would draft 12th.

Right now, we are drafting 6th. 6th would be the spot an Okung, Bradford or Claussen might fall. Winning another game and dropping to 10th or 11th, would cost us additional draft picks, maybe our second rounder, to move up and get one of these guys.

The Raiders play Cleveland, the Bears play the Lions- so that helps, but it seems all the sorry teams that can move us down to the 10-12 spots play tough opponents. We play SD the last game and if they rest their team, that could be a costly win for us.

I know its bad for us to hope we lose, but right now with the state of this team, it is the best thing for us.

If Cerrato was here, there's no chance in Hell we'd be trading down. With Allen, I agree that it seems more than likely we'll trade down. I'd like to see us drop from 6th (if we get that pick) into the upper-teens, and then from there to the upper-twenties -- picking up some 2nd and 3rd rounders along the way. We can use those picks to invest into our o-line.

I'd love to grab a top-tier LT or QB at the top of the round, but I think Allen is going to (correctly) acknowledge that one awesome player won't help this team as much as, say, 5 or 6 really good players (not really sure how many picks we'd get; I'm just throwing out random numbers). Besides, don't forget that one awesome player could be a bust, but it's a lot less likely that all those 2nd/3rd rounders would be busts.

Not much to look forward to right now for many months to come. We need more than one draft pick to become better. Next up will be to install a run oriented offense which guarantees us the typical 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality is not too exciting either. Hope Chicago fires Lovie Smith so Shanahan will go there to reunite with his quarterback who needs help.

I'm almost 75% certain we will be trading down, and I'm all for that.

Good thinking and all, but what most people seem to ALWAYS forget, just cuz you want to doesn't mean you will be able to. Who do you honestly see trading with the Skins to say pick in the 8th spot, and they're gonna give up additional draft choices for what? There's no Adrian Peterson to be picked at that spot in the draft this year, so why would somebody want to mortgage their draft to get a possibly good player?

People talk like it's sooo easy to just trade back in the draft, but you ABSOLUTELY need someone else willing to trade up. You can't just turn in your first pick early for a grab bag of picks later in the first few rounds from the commissioner. This isn't a bake sale, you don't get your choice of goodies! Geez!

If Cerrato was here, there's no chance in Hell we'd be trading down. With Allen, I agree that it seems more than likely we'll trade down. I'd like to see us drop from 6th (if we get that pick) into the upper-teens, and then from there to the upper-twenties -- picking up some 2nd and 3rd rounders along the way. We can use those picks to invest into our o-line.

I'd love to grab a top-tier LT or QB at the top of the round, but I think Allen is going to (correctly) acknowledge that one awesome player won't help this team as much as, say, 5 or 6 really good players (not really sure how many picks we'd get; I'm just throwing out random numbers). Besides, don't forget that one awesome player could be a bust, but it's a lot less likely that all those 2nd/3rd rounders would be busts.

I think Allen and Shanny knows the value of a top shelf QB. You got to get one. That one player changes your team unlike any other player. The dark horse here is will the Bears trade Cutler? Back to Shanny. He has been a huge disappointment.

The dark horse here is will the Bears trade Cutler? Back to Shanny. He has been a huge disappointment.

Don't count on it. Why would they trade him when his value hits rock bottom after giving up so much for him? And, the bigger question, why would we want him? Even with Shanny, I'd consider that a bullet dodged and not think about it again.

At this point we need all the ammo we can get, I would love to stick it to Dallas next week but that win could likely cost us the chance to draft Okung who is elite in pass protection and can probably jump right in at LT and play at borderline Pro Bowl level. If we get Samuels back we would be even better off as Okung could use a year to mature before he made the move. Eff trading down, we need a franchise Tackle in here fast.

Don't count on it. Why would they trade him when his value hits rock bottom after giving up so much for him?

Dont discount it, word is that the Culter deal was part of the work to bring in Shanahan last offseason that fell thru, I dont want to see it happen but dont be surprised if Shanahan lands here for us to exchange our 1st for a slew of mid round picks so Shanahan has his gun back.

Dont discount it, word is that the Culter deal was part of the work to bring in Shanahan last offseason that fell thru, I dont want to see it happen but dont be surprised if Shanahan lands here for us to exchange our 1st for a slew of mid round picks so Shanahan has his gun back.

It wouldn't shock me if Shannahan was interested in such a deal, but I can't see Chicago giving him up for what would be nickels to the dollar they gave up for him. NFL teams don't eat the crow after one season with a guy that costs a HUGE amount of trade value to bring in, also I believe they gave him a big new contract as well. It would look horrible to get rid of him after one year, and for what at this point? Maybe a 3rd round pick if they're lucky? Vinny's gone. No one's giving them a 1st for Cutler after this year.

Hoping your team loses, makes YOU a loser. Period.

Naw. Some of us are just more "bottom line". Who cares if we finish with 4 wins, 5 wins, or 6 wins? It's a losing season with nothing to build on regardless since there's going to be wholesale change.

I wouldn't root for us to lose, I wouldn't try to lose if I were involved with the team in any capacity, but let's face facts. A 6th-overall pick is a lot more sexy to trade than a 12th. And a 6th pick, if we used it, can theoretically bring in more value than a 12th (yes, I know Brady was no first rounder... but when we're dealing with potential, higher-round picks have more of it).

So what's the benefit of winning? Losing? Bottom line it. Do we want to have a better chance at winning next year, or will a meaningless (not in terms of sentimental value to fans, but overall value to the franchise) win this year be worth it?

It wouldn't shock me if Shannahan was interested in such a deal, but I can't see Chicago giving him up for what would be nickels to the dollar they gave up for him. NFL teams don't eat the crow after one season with a guy that costs a HUGE amount of trade value to bring in, also I believe they gave him a big new contract as well. It would look horrible to get rid of him after one year, and for what at this point? Maybe a 3rd round pick if they're lucky? Vinny's gone. No one's giving them a 1st for Cutler after this year.

I dunno I think our 1st (top 6) and a position player (Cooley, Rogers) for their 2nd and 3rd would be fair given our situation and how poorly he has performed, Chicago gets to draft their QB of the future and put the mistake behind them and Shanahan gets his boy back and some room to draft OLine help. I don't know Cutlers contract status off the top of my head but I am assuming if an uncapped year next season this becomes even more feasible of a deal. Cutler has had an awful season in Chicago this year, dont know if their team / fans are going to want to sit through another year of leading the league in picks.

I dunno I think our 1st (top 6) and a position player (Cooley, Rogers) for their 2nd and 3rd would be fair given our situation and how poorly he has performed, Chicago gets to draft their QB of the future and put the mistake behind them and Shanahan gets his boy back and some room to draft OLine help. I don't know Cutlers contract status off the top of my head but I am assuming if an uncapped year next season this becomes even more feasible of a deal. Cutler has had an awful season in Chicago this year, dont know if their team / fans are going to want to sit through another year of leading the league in picks.

Vinny seriosuly just clear out your desk and leave well alone ... Wow that woul be a crazy trade .

What is interesting is how close the three QBs Orton, Campbell and Cutler are in production

Kyle Orton DEN 14 89.2 277 444 62.4 3182 227.3 7.2 17 8 21 48 3.4 2.3 0 24 138 4 2

Jason Campbell WAS 14 87.0 275 426 64.6 3138 224.1 7.4 18 14 40 215 15.4 5.4 1 38 245 9 3

Jay Cutler CHI 14 71.1 294 484 60.7 3117 222.6 6.4 19 25 36 158 11.3 4.4 1 31 181 8 1

I would say either trade back or take the BPA then address the holes with picks 2-7

Naw. Some of us are just more "bottom line".

All I've ever been, is a bottom line guy.

Bottom line: Draft position guarantees NOTHING.

Never has, never will.

Bottom line: Losing accomplishes one thing. Losing.

Bottom line: Hoping for losses, is a losers mentality.

Now, AFTER the season is over, and, AFTER you know your draft position, players available, and potential trade partners, THEN you take full advantage of your position.

And THAT, is bottom line. ;)

Archived