Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Experiences meeting Redskin players

Fortunately I have had the opportunity to meet several players. The best by far happened a few weeks ago in Rockville. I was at the Orange Ball (for the Chris Samuels MNF promo that I have mentioned on this board before) when I looked over to my left and saw Gary Clark standing next to me watching the game. We chatted long enough for me to get his honest opinion of this year’s team and a couple of other issues. I was stunned when he started asking questions about my personal life. Usually when I meet an athlete or celebrity they don’t ask me personal questions. Anyways he is a class act.

BTW, his opinion is that he thinks Ramsey is the man and that if he stays health he believes this team could go far. He also said something to the effect of …It’s a about time we have a team that we can enjoy watching.

My first real contact was with Charley Taylor in a bar in Newington. I told him I was a big fan of his when I was a kid playing WR in high school 20 years before. He blew me off and acted like I'd called him a c**ksu**er - which I ended up thinking he was.

When I moved to a house in Wilber Marshall's neighborhood, he had a common area behind his house where my kids were playing the day we moved in. My youngest lost his teddy bear so my father-in-law took him back down to common area to look for it. It was getting dark and the next thing they knew, Wilber was in their face confronting them. Flustered, my father-in-law said they were looking for a small bear - which Wilber took literally because his horses had been messed with the previous week. Hilarious talking about it later, but I never had a good feeling around that guy ...

After I had ACL surgery I did physical therapy a half dozen times with Jeff Bostic who had just retired and had some surgery on his knees. We had just drafted Heath and right after his first mini-camp, Bostic was the first I had heard that didnt have a high opinion of him. Bostic was a real hoot ...

I was in the club level this Sunday and ended up debating who was the greatest basketball player of all time with Doc Walker. I said MJ, he said Russell. It was amusing. Doc has a pretty high opinion of his opinions ...

I myself have met many players as well. Some good some bad.

The abolute best was Trent Green.

I took my son to his first Skins game at age 7, a win against the Iggles. After the game I took him back to the tunnel with his sharpie and program in hand. When Trent came walking out, he was signing absolutley everybody. When he got to my son, the boy told Trent that it was his first Skins game. Trent got down and shook his hand and asked him his name. He personalized the signature to him, said that he was glad that he was here and that he probably brought the Redskins luck.

My son to this day will never forget that. Trent is a true credit to the professionl athlete.:notworthy

Wish he could've stayed, but I am definately happy with Patrick. :applause: :) :)

I've met John Riggins, Jeff Bostic, Jess Atkinson and Mark Mosley. When I asked Riggo for his autograph, he was holding a Michelob in each hand and said " I guess I'll have to put one of these down then huh?" He chugged one of the beers and then signed. Jess was cool and showed us his SB ring. Mark Mosley signed a football for me at a Modells appearance.

I've met Brian Mitchell several times. I used to manage an outdoor equipment store and Brian was my best customer. I've sold him about 30K worth of outdoor "toys" (custom made bbq islands with refridgerator, sink, beer tap and all, turkey fryers, smokers....) He used to call my store and ask to speak to only me. I've been to his house several times and chated with his him and his wife.

He loves to grill all year long. One Thanksgiving he told me he invited the entire team over and deep fried 17 turkeys!

Brian was a cool Redskin.

I was in a bowling league in Centerville a few years back, and one night Roy Jefferson, who had a barbeque place right across the street from the bowling alley, substituted for the team we were playing. He was a hoot, cheering for everybody in a booming voice and generally having a great time. This was a league of mostly older folks, and they weren't quite sure what to make of Roy, but our team invited him to partake in our ritual consumption of the "Elixir of Bowling" -- beer, to the uninitiated -- and we all had a fine evening. He averaged around 180 for the three games.

I met Heath Shuler (yeah, laugh it up) twice. Once at Bruce Smith's celeb softball tourney at Harbor Park in Norfolk Va and another time before the Tampa Bay game in 94.

He was really nice.

I also went to middle school with Mike Husted, the kicker that sucked so bad a few years ago. Our parents worked together as well. He was a dick in school, Mr. Soccer star, but I struck him out in a HS baseball game (we went to different HS's) the only time I faced him so THERE!.

sold John riggins a bottle of Coke for 2.00 when i was a kid and my Dad was guiding him on a hunt up here in Canada(now that would be great commercial). I also used to hang out with Mike Sellers when he played for the Eskimos, we played basketball and playstation a lot he gets a bad rap but he is really just a big kid. Met Dexter Manley at a training camp back when i was serious about playing he was a real space case but very personable,and i play basketbal with winston october at commonwealth stadium rec center a lot.

When I was younger and used to go to basketball camps at George Mason University in the summertime, we'd see some Redskins running the hills outside the Patriot Center. One day at lunch we went to see who they were and it was Art Monk and Dexter Manley.

Dexter talked to us while Art kept working out after saying hi. Then, Dexter CAME INTO THE FIELDHOUSE and played my friend in one-on-one and signed a dollar bill my friend had leftover from lunch. Good times.

Here you guys go:

My mike Tyson experience.

A couple years ago it was around 11:00am and I went to Tower Records in Rockville, MD. I came up the escalator and over by the magazines I see Mike Tyson, he looks right at me (the store is kind of empty), I say to him "Man, Mike Tyson, what’s up?", he then just grits on me, looks me up and down and says nothing. I thought to myself what an A-hole and went on and got the CD I came for, then got in line. In front of me there was a really hot women, at the time I was (a self proclaimed Playa) so she smiled and we started chit chating, we were flirting back and forth, I happen to look up and Mike Tyson is still over by the magazines but now he is pacing back and forth like a caged lion staring at me, then it dawns on me… Oh’ **** is this his wife? I look at her finger and there is a huge rock on it. So now I ask her are you Mrs. Tyson and she says yes, so with this I try really hard not to say another word, but she keeps attempting to talk. So he walks up when she is paying and is facing me staring at me, but says nothing. They bought 2 huge bags of stuff, so they finish paying and walk over to the books, so I hurry up and pay trying to get the hell out of there. I get right to the escalator and he steps right in front of me to block me (with his back, not face to face), his wife proceeds in front of him, then he goes and I go right behind him. We get down to the doors (he is carrying 2 bags, one in each hand ( so she holds the door for him, and then holds the door for me, he looked back at me in anger, but still doesn’t say anything. So we are all walking to our cars, they had a Gold Lincoln Navigator, as we walked along (I am slightly behind them) I see a car out of the corner of my eye creping slowly behind us as we walk, all of a sudden I hear a quick burst of a police siren. We all jumped and looked back… it was a police officer who is a friend of mine, so I walk over to his window and say “Dude that is Mike Tyson right there, he says B.S., I say no I am not kidding, so he says ok… if that is Mike Tyson… watch this… and picks up the PA Microphone in his cruiser and over the loudspeaker says “look it’s Mike Tyson biting someone’s ear off”. I almost ****. Mike stops, puts down both bags and turns around in complete rage to look at us. So my friends looks at me and says “Oh’ my GOD it’s Mike Tyson, I said you f-ing fool that’s what I told you”. He then proceeds to say “I’m out of here, he is coing to get my cruiser number and call my Sergeant”. He drives off and leaves me standing there…ALONE. Mike walks up and gets in my face, I proceed to quickly backpedal toward my car with my hands up saying Mike it wasn’t me, I didn’t say anything. Luckily all he did was say a bunch of choice words to me, and I got away alive.

I will tell you about the second time in about 30 minutes I have got to go to a meeting. (It was the same day he punched those people in Derwood, MD. I pissed him off right before that happened.)

I covered the Redskins for two years while I was a sports writer, and met alot of the guys in 1998-2000. I must say, LaVar Arrington was always one of nices guys I talked to in the locker room. I also must say, that standing there, with no shirt on, he is the most intimidating human Ive ever stood next too....I thought about how long before I got killed had I just hauled off and punched hm in the face, just to see what would happen....anyway, Mark Moseley is an assistant coach in my hometown, with a high school football team, and he is a TOTAL dick. Gold chains, cheesy clotees.....all arrogant..its like DUDE, YOUR A KICKER!!! Anyway, just thought Id share....once at training camp Sonny came up to me, not having a clue who I was, asking what I thuoght about the team that year...im like dude, wh are you asking ME?!?!?! Pretty cool experience.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

My dad used to work at Sears in Fair Oaks in the early to mid 90s

He saw every single hog from the 1991 team and I believe sold them each some computer item.

I saw with him Mark Rypien, Brad Edwards and Charles Mann. Met the posse over the years also.

Recentley I have bumped into Marvcus Patton at Tysons as well as sold Charles Mann a basketball hoop when I worked at the Sports Authority at Tysons in 1999.

I was at a bar in Fairfax City with my wife and friends, and Coy Bacon (then a Skin) came in with his posse. He was pretty lit already, and he came up to our table, introduced himself, and asked my wife if he could dance her. Big guy, it was somewhat reminiscent of a scene in Animal House.

Monte Coleman used to have a hunting and fishing store in Chantilly, VA. My freinds and I used to go in there for bait and tackle, and he and Art Monk would be in there a lot of times. We'd talk with those guys quite a bit. he ran some largest smallmouth and largest crappie contests that I won a coupla times and got a free rod and reel off him. Monte was a real nice guy and so was Art.

I met Mark Mosely when he was in the home leisure business and he wanted to get my friend and partner out of the business by either buying him out completely or buying out his local distributorship for a brand of hot tubs and spas that we had. So he took us out to dinner to give us his pitch. What was funny was that he wore his Superbowl ring and he would play with it and flash it all evening.

Wow, great stories fellas, makes great reading.

Living in the Uk and having never got over to the US to watch the 'Skins I've never had the chance to meet any 'Skins players.....but, I am a member of the UK Redskins Supporters Club and they run club trips so I've read the reviews of the trips and a couple of times they managed to arrange visits to Redskins park to meet the players which must of being real cool. I remember reading once that one of the guys (he posts on here, used to be the club president, Uncle53 is his handle on here I think) went to watch the 'Skins in Tampa and met Tim Johnson, who was so impressed with a pic he took off him that he asked him for a copy!!!

The nearest I have come to meet any NFL player is meeting ex-Atlanta kicker Mick Luckhurst who used to present coverage over here, he was a real nice guy. that was in London at the "American Bowl".

Archived