Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Experiences meeting Redskin players

I know this has been done before, but the Darrell Green thread going around made me think it's time to do this again.

Tell me about any particularly good or particularly bad experiences you've had over the years in meeting Redskin players.

I'll start. I've met Sonny Jurgensen, Earnest Byner and Joe Theismann (and a handful of the more recent Skins, but no big names). Fortunately, I can say that Sonny, Earnest and Joe were all incredibly cool to me. I met Thiesmann at his restaurant back in the early 80's (he was probably cool to me because we were eating at his restaurant ;)). But Sonny and Earnest were two of the nicest people I've ever met. Not just two of the nicest athletes, but two of the nicest PEOPLE. I was blown away by how cool they were.

I'm really glad that I can honestly say I've never had a rotten experience with any Redskin player...that would be tough to take. What stories (good or bad) do you have??

I once saw Brad Johnson at my local WalMart. I was too dumbfounded to say anything, so I stood there like a deer caught in headlights.:( I guess you could call that a good experience. At least I didn't think he was an arsehole.

I've only made it up to camp once in the past 10 years, and my experience there was relatively good. The most vivid memories are the bad ones, unfortunately. :)

As I recall, Wilber Marshall bowled through a crowd of fans like they were an opposing team. He was a tremendous player but a total prick off the field.

And Reggie Brooks (God bless him :) ) RAN whenever a group of fans spotted him. One time he actually climbed over a fence to get away from some autograph seekers. :doh:

Growing up in Sterling Park and Leesburg, I have met many of the 'Skins. Joe T. (five or six times, always nice and willing to talk.), Mark May, Mark Mosely, Rich Milot, Joe Jacoby, and John Riggins once. They were all always nice. :2cents:

Have never met anybody on the current roster at a personal level. Joe Theisman was the first player I met in a non-stage environment. Got to throw the ball around with him once too (this was when he was only a second-stringer though). Met Joe Gibbs several times (his wife and my mother were friends) but I was out of state most of that time, so...Worked with Clarence Vaughn and Reggie Brooks. When I worked at Fair Oaks mall, I used to run into Jeff Bostic a lot.

I have met many of our favorite redskins from a fan getting an autograph to making them a drink or delivering them food. I would say I have met the entire teams of the superbowl teams in the 80's to the current team from 98 on.

I would party with them when I was younger with my dad after the games. It was great having grimm come up to the van we were in and pounding with us.

The one that stands out the most is the old TE Jamie Asher, he and his HOT wife, who was wearing a ring that was huge came to my bar one evening with the entire crew and just had a good old time. He was one of the few skins that actually tipped more than the agent required 15%.

Overall I have had very good contact with a majority of them. It was nice to see them. My favorites have been Art Monk, any of the old hogs and Gus was extemely nice to me. The one thing I have noticed the older guys who don't play much love to hear appreciation from the fans.

the sad thing is when i was younger i had all the great skins who partied in the players parking lot after a game all sign my old game program. That program got lost in a move :cry:

Luckily I still have the 2 superbowl champ teams autographed footballs from the equipment guy :)

I grew up in Leesburg and Purcellville. I've met Jon Jansen (we got our hair cut at the same barber), Darrell Green, Joe Jacoby, Billy Kilmer, Sonny, LaVar, Chris Samuels, and Patrick Ramsey.

All were awesome. LaVar was the most intimidating looking.

I had the chance to meet a lot of players back in the 70's when they used to make public appearances and sign autographs. I don't really remember a bad experience. Four guys that I ran into around town (Reston/Manassas/Woodbridge) were Dexter Manley, Jay Schroeder, Mark Moseley and Mike Bragg.

Dexter was going into a hardware store. I shook his hand and he had a big smile the whole time. He was either coked-up or just a very pleasant guy. I ran into Jay Schroeder just before the 1986 season at Safeway where he was grocery shopping. He seemed a little surprised to be recognized. I shook his hand and wished him luck on the upcoming season and he just continued on with his shopping. I met Moseley, after he retired, at a friend's house who's kids were friends of Mark's kids. We talked for about 20 minutes about kids, football, the Skins and his popularity in the area. Definitely a good guy. Mike Bragg's daughter, Bridgit, and my step-daughter played on the same softball team in the Woodbridge Little League in 1989. His son Adam was a pretty good athlete back then and his daughter was one of the fastest players on the team. He wasn't much of a talker and when the subject of the Redskins came up, he would change the subject and talk about his kids or golf. He never really spoke much about the Skins except to mention a former player he had talked to but that was about it. I told him I saw him play at RFK even as a rookie and all throughout his career and he just kinda laughed and said it seemed like such a long time ago and then changed the subject, trying to get me to fork over a bunch of money to play in his golf tournament. :rolleyes:

we used to own a restaurant in Forestville and a few former (current at the time) 'skins would make appearances every now and again. Jacoby and Riggins and Sonny are the only two offhand I can think of. I "think" I was behind Darrell Green at Six Flags one day (I did see a limo pull in that said "Champ"). I didn't put 2 and 2 together until later at home. I was tempted to approach who I thought was Darrell Green but I wasn't positive it was him and he was w/ family and I didn't want to bother him and possibly draw a crowd if it was him.

I guess you could say I grew up with Ramsey. He and I had a discussion about the topic of "taling to fans." He looks at it as an honor that anyone would want to shake his hand. He says he wants to be as nice as possible to fans for many reasons:

1. It reflects on the team.

2. It reflects on him.

3. The fans are what make his job great. Take the fans away and he doesn't have a job.

4. He has the mindset that if you support the team, he owes you the coutesy of being friendly.

5. He would expect the same from people in general. And it's just his personality to be polite and genuine.

He says his biggest problem is when he comes to his hometown and people from grade school approach him and act like they are his best friend. He doesn't always remember their names. He even feels obligated to be as personable to them as he can be.

I met Sonny Jurgenson as a young child. Got pics, autographs and caught a pass from him.

Met Mike Bragg and Joe Theismann and various signing events.

Met a whole bunch of Skins and ex-Skins at a charity golf tournament auction event: Green, Bostic, Jacoby, Grimm, Reggie Branch, quite a few more.

I don't do the autograph thing anymore. I just feel like you're putting that person on a pedestal above yourself which, quite frankly, they don't always deserve. Just not for me.

I would gladly sign autogrpahs for others, though. :)

The only time I really meet any Redskins Players was in Carslile, PA during the 1987 Training Camp.

Most of the players were cool, I got my pic with George Rogers, and got Dexer Manleys Autograph. Charles Mann, RC Theilmann, Neil Olkelwitz and Joe Gibbs stuck in my mind as being very fan friendly, and Art Monk was mobed and siged autographs away.

Jay Schoreder, Don Warren and Clint Didier were not so fan friendly.

I meet Timmy Smith at a bar in Denver in 1997, shook hands with him and taled to by for about 30 secs, seemed to be a nice guy.

Originally posted by CrankyTodd

Unlike a certain Mark Schlereth.

Funny you should mention that, when I was in Colorado a friend of mine who is a Redskins Fan went to Bronco Training Camp and he said he tried to ask Schlereth about the Redskins and he said Mark Blew him off.

No wonder they called him Stinky. :laugh:

I had forgotten about meeting Neil Olkiewicz. He was part owner of a sporting goods store in Springfield many years ago and was working there when I went and a bought my Riggo jersey. Neil personally handled the name and numbers on the jersey and we talked about the Skins and the Terps (his alma mater) the whole time. A VERY nice guy.

• 2 months later...

Does Coach count?

Because a few years ago I was up in Charlotte for the Nascar Race (Coca-Cola 600) and I was roaming through the garage area watching the crew members get thier cars ready for inspections when BAM I run smack dab head to head into Joe Gibbs, nearly breaking his glasses. Just when I though he was gonna yell at me for not paying attention where I was going he touched my shoulder and asked me if I was ok. I told him I was ok and we shook hands and I got his autograph it was a great day.

Originally posted by The Extremist

I once saw Brad Johnson at my local WalMart. I was too dumbfounded to say anything, so I stood there like a deer caught in headlights.:( I guess you could call that a good experience. At least I didn't think he was an arsehole.

Ha, Brad Johnson shops at Wal-Mart...I love it!

And as for me...even at the age of seven, I thought Gary Clark was small, and all that bling! But, he was gracious and did not do anything to dispell the enormous place in my heart I had for him...:rolleyes:

Last year I worked for the Redskins and meet Irving Fryer, he was great, super nice guy. I also meet Sonny he was great, also meet allot of the FO, I will not comment on that.

Years ago I meet Ricky Sanders we lifted weights together one night, played Basketball and then went to Gary Clark's Bar Champions. I also lifted weights with Neal Olkewicz a few times. I have hug out with Rich Owens on many occations, he is close friends with a friend of mine.

I have also meet Joe Gibbs & his family many times, he is a close friend of my Uncles.

Not Skins related but I have had Mike Tyson get in my face on 2 separate occasions.

I met Joe Gibbs one time at a NASCAR event when they used to race at North Wilkesboro,NC. I saw him at the Interstate Battery hauler and went over to meet him. By the time I got there,he had went inside. The crewmen at the door told me that Coach was too busy and I replied,"that's ok,I understand." As I was walking away,I heard a voice from behind me say "Hey,come back here!" It was Coach Gibbs. He signed my race ticket and we talked for a few minutes. Great guy. A funny side note: I also saw 2 ladies approach him for autographs,one wearing a Dallas Cowboy T-shirt. Gibbs told the Cowboy fan :"You ought to know better than to ask me for an autograph wearing that shirt"... :laugh:

Archived