Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX31:Source: Blache and Gray tell Zorn they did not Interview for the job/CP issues

SMOSS89

http://community.kdvr.com/_Source-Blache-Gray-tell-Zorn-they-didnt-interview-for-Skins-job/BLOG/1630474/96399.html

Mike Shanahan may indeed become the next head coach of the Washington Redskins, but the question is has the organization adequately considered minority candidates as required thus far?

Currently, there are a lot of conflicting reports about the Redskins' internal interviewing practices in regards to their not-so-vacant head coaching position.

The question is, is this by design?

“I can’t say for sure, but something definitely is fishy around here based on what I know,” said a well-placed source within the Redskins organization told FOX31’s Josina Anderson on Sunday.

This source had a lot to say, on many different fronts.

Before breaking down the inside chatter behind the walls at Redskins Park, it’s important to once again shine a spotlight on the NFL’s Rooney Rule which was established in 2003. This rule mandates teams in the league interview at least one minority candidate for head coaching and senior operations opportunities in an effort to address it’s once dismal record of neglecting such qualified persons.

With that being said, let’s begin to answer the leading question.

Since the Denver Post reported last Thursday that Shanahan appears headed to the Redskins to become their new head coach, two reports have been posted about internal minority candidates interviewing for this position.

Presumably.

An initial report by ProFootballTalk.com which said Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache, an African American, interviewed for this still-occupied position is currently being refuted by the Washington Post’s new report which alternately says Redskins secondary coach, Jerry Gray, also an African American, is actually the one who discussed the opening with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder.

However...

Sunday a source told Fox31 that not only has all the aforementioned information been denied by said coaches within their own walls, the reports themselves are causing ruffled feathers within the ranks in Ashburn, Virginia.

“First of all when that story came out, some of the coaches around here were saying that (Jim) Zorn (Redskins current head coach) was pissed. I know that Greg (Blache) went to Jim and told him it wasn’t true,” said the inside source to Anderson.

When asked how they could be sure Blache himself is telling the truth to Zorn, the source replied, “All I know is what Greg said to Jim, which is that (Greg) said he didn’t do it.”

Later, when other members of the Redskins coaching staff became aware of the Washington Post’s new report--stating their colleague Jerry Gray allegedly was the man among them that actually met with Snyder--the other coaches became visibly upset.

“I mean coaches that go to bible study together were getting split over their emotions about this. Jerry was confronted about the fact that the other coaches were sitting around talking about him, wondering whether he discussed the head coaching position with Snyder or not. Jerry told Zorn, ‘they leak things out like that because that is what they want people to think. (The media) has no quotes from me because I didn’t interview for the job.’”

The source added that Gray continued to defend himself to Zorn saying, “’why would I interview for the job and not tell you.’”

Obviously, just because Gray said this to Zorn, according to our source, doesn’t guarantee that Gray is being honest with Zorn.

“I don’t know, but I know for a fact that is what Jerry (Gray) told Jim (Zorn).”

Well apparently Zorn is taking Gray at his word because per his normal routine Gray was still scheduled to ride with the Redskins head coach to the team hotel at the Marriott in Greenbelt, Maryland in advance of their game against the Giants on Monday, according to the source.

“Gray said that he was still going to be picking up Jim (Zorn) from his house and going over to the team hotel like normal. That’s what was said; whether it still happened, I don’t know.”

Click on the link for more

http://community.kdvr.com/_Source-Blache-Gray-tell-Zorn-they-didnt-interview-for-Skins-job/BLOG/1630474/96399.html

Holy **** if any of this is true. This is like the Gregg Williams mole back in '06.

This is Florio trying hard to get back at the Redskins.

The League won't touch us with the Rooney rule. We comply every time. The league even found we didn't tamper with Haynesworth.

We bend the hell out of the rules, but we don't break them. If Zorn's feelings are hurt, well, too damn bad. Next time you're a head coach, maybe you'll win more games.

Shanahan is coming. He's a better coach than Zorn. Race doesn't enter into it. The end.

As disappointment nears a climax with the Redskins season drawing to a close, there’s no shortage of blame to go around, and one finger is being pointed at running back Clinton Portis.

Please note, this is not the first time frustration over Portis’ status has been shared with FOX31 this season, however these same sentiments were strenuously expressed about their star back again on Sunday.

“There is a lot of mess going on around here that is starting to come to a head. The only reason, in my opinion, that we’re in this position is because Clinton and Dan (Snyder) are tight. I’m telling you, Portis is holding everybody hostage,” opined the same source.

However, there is a palpable overflow of frustration over Portis seemingly operating by a different set of rules. To the source, the double standard is crippling the Redskins organization.

“Clinton is not a disrespectful young man, but the bottom line is he reported out of shape. Too often he would be trying to get out of practicing because he knows he doesn’t have to. He’s Dan’s boy. I’m telling you yeah, he’s holding the franchise hostage because we knew as a staff we had to play him even when he wasn’t playing well. You got the offensive line blocking their (edit) off, and (Portis) is making these bad (edit) reads. I remember overhearing one of the offensive lineman begging during the game for (Ladell) Betts to be put in when they saw (Portis) screwing up.”

Why is this fruitcake still on our team? And why in the hell didn't we trade his ass three years ago?

Incredible, stupid FO.

The way I understand it you can't comply with the rule until Zorn is fired. So I'd think it would be hard to be in non-compliance until he is fired also.

Exactly. We don't even have an opening right now at HC. Allen made a point to state this very clearly during the press conference, and it was the most important sentence he uttered during the entire press conference. It's the biggest clue we've seen so far.

What will happen:

1) Zorn is fired after season ends

2) Redskins comply with Rooney rule and interview head coaching candidates

3) new coach is hired

Simple. No controversy, in full compliance, no issues.

Could it be a minion :evilg: loyal to Synder/Cerrato creating all of this so that Zorn & his entire staff can be fired with cause at the end of the season.

I thought Vinny was starting this stuff as well, like the Mooch thing because they're buds. I swear he may be under a "gag" order but there's a lot of crap that has come out after his departure.

The whole Portis thing has been pointed out over and over on here. No surprise really with that.

If Bruce Allen has a mandate to fix things, handling the Portis situation will be a real test for him.

Think about it - have you ever had a manager who was doing something self-destructive for which they had a blind spot? How much time and energy did you put into delivering that message in a way that didn't put them on the defensive, and allowed them to make changes and look like it was their idea all along?

He'll have to do all that if he wants to fix the Portis issue.

Also the very end was interesting about all the negative communication that ended with the advent of Bingo Sherm.

As disappointment nears a climax with the Redskins season drawing to a close, there’s no shortage of blame to go around, and one finger is being pointed at running back Clinton Portis.

Please note, this is not the first time frustration over Portis’ status has been shared with FOX31 this season, however these same sentiments were strenuously expressed about their star back again on Sunday.

“There is a lot of mess going on around here that is starting to come to a head. The only reason, in my opinion, that we’re in this position is because Clinton and Dan (Snyder) are tight. I’m telling you, Portis is holding everybody hostage,” opined the same source.

However, there is a palpable overflow of frustration over Portis seemingly operating by a different set of rules. To the source, the double standard is crippling the Redskins organization.

“Clinton is not a disrespectful young man, but the bottom line is he reported out of shape. Too often he would be trying to get out of practicing because he knows he doesn’t have to. He’s Dan’s boy. I’m telling you yeah, he’s holding the franchise hostage because we knew as a staff we had to play him even when he wasn’t playing well. You got the offensive line blocking their (edit) off, and (Portis) is making these bad (edit) reads. I remember overhearing one of the offensive lineman begging during the game for (Ladell) Betts to be put in when they saw (Portis) screwing up.”

Why is this fruitcake still on our team? And why in the hell didn't we trade his ass three years ago?

Incredible, stupid FO.

I'm starting to believe Snyder is aware of all the stuff, and is just straight up wants to clean house.

I'm starting to believe Snyder is aware of all the stuff, and is just straight up wants to clean house.

Portis cost this team 5 seasons.

Easily, the biggest blunder this team has made.

His contract was an abortion.

His attitude sucks even more.

That guy killed this team, and continues to do so.

Anyone with an iq of over 5 would have dumped his worthless ass 3 years ago.

Am I the only one that reads that report and sees that the inside source did nothing but confirm that none of these interviews took place? The source states that Jerry Gray and Greg Blache each stated that they did not interview for the job. Note the complete absense of any source saying that this is not true...

The stuff about Portis not wanting to practice is true, we've known that for a while, but that he "held this team hostage because of his relationship with Dan" sounds entirely made up.

This looks like someone using a backhoe to dig for some dirt, but still coming up empty.

He'll have to do all that if he wants to fix the Portis issue.

Also the very end was interesting about all the negative communication that ended with the advent of Bingo Sherm.

If there is no cap the Portis issue is easy. Cut him. He's not worth the money or the trouble.

I and many others have been saying that Portis is slacking for a long time now. Long before the reports came out that the team was feeling the same way. That dude has been dodging practice and complaining about any work outside of game day for a while. Like someone else recently said, Portis is our version of Allen Iverson. Injury my ass... that little whiner pretends to be hurt and then God himself comes down and heals him just before gameday... every friggin week. It really is a miracle.

This year he gets a concussion and decides to put himself on the shelf. Never mind that players all over the league have been concussed and returned in two weeks... Snyder's boy doesn't need to risk himself for a losing season. He'll be back, fatter and still too injured to practice, next year if Danny allows him to be.

I'm getting so tired of hearing all this BS. Inside information and unnamed sources within the organization are just another way of reporters to say any damn thing they want to make up and have it sound legitimate.

The FO basically just needs to come out with a presser after this type of BS with Zorn and Gray together and squash the rumor making this reporter look like a complete moron. I believe Allen's media skills are one of his strong points, and most likely a main reason he got hired. He will have to fight these guys tooth and nail as he tries to establish order.

Archived