Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Winter solstice is today

Corcaigh

Corcaigh, does that mean the sun has finished it's retreat (due to the earth's axis) into the southern hemisphere and is now headed back north? And if so, why does winter start next week?

From the article ...

"Being the shortest day of the year, the winter solstice is essentially the year's darkest day, but it's not the coldest.

Because the oceans are slow to heat and cool, in December they still retain some warmth from summer, delaying the coldest of winter days for another month and a half. Similarly, summer doesn't hit its heat peak until August, a month or two after the summer solstice."

You science guys and your "days getting shorter" and "days getting longer" political agendas.

next thing you know they'll link it to climate change. liberal elitists and their crap, you know?

On a side note, if you could pick one day to turn out to be a really bad day, I guess this one would be it.

From the article ...

"Being the shortest day of the year, the winter solstice is essentially the year's darkest day, but it's not the coldest.

Because the oceans are slow to heat and cool, in December they still retain some warmth from summer, delaying the coldest of winter days for another month and a half. Similarly, summer doesn't hit its heat peak until August, a month or two after the summer solstice."

thanks Corcaigh, that's one of those old questions that I've always wanted to know. Makes perfect sense. Now tell me why new moons pull the high and low tides just as much or more than full moons?

thanks Corcaigh, that's one of those old questions that I've always wanted to know. Makes perfect sense. Now tell me why new moons pull the high and low tides just as much or more than full moons?

When the Moon, Earth and Sun are aligned the gravitational pull of the Sun adds to that of the moon causing highest and lowest tides.

When the Moon, Earth and Sun are aligned the gravitational pull of the Sun adds to that of the moon causing highest and lowest tides.

There still seems to be quite a bit of debate about the moon and tides. At least there was not too long ago

Archived