Extremeskins

Wuerffel spin from Redskins.com

Oldskool

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11815

Redskins to Bring Back Wuerffel

08/03/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Editor, Redskins.com

After today’s training camp practice, head coach Steve Spurrier announced that Danny Wuerffel would be returning to the Redskins. Wuerffel is a six-year veteran who played for Washington last season and previously starred under head coach Steve Spurrier at the University of Florida. He is expected to join the team on Monday.

To make room for Wuerffel on the roster, Spurrier said the team had released rookie Brad Banks, the undrafted free agent quarterback from Iowa.

“We needed more experience at the quarterback position,” Spurrier said. “This will give us a little more depth at quarterback. It strengthens our team to have an experience guy like Danny who knows our system.”

Wuerrffel is expected to compete for a backup job with Rob Johnson.

Wuerffel played in seven games—starting four—last season for the Redskins. For the season, he completed 58-of-92 passes for 719 yards and three touchdowns. His best performance came in Week 12 at FedExField against the St. Louis Rams. In that game, he completed 16-of-23 passes for 235 yards in leading the Redskins to a 20-17 victory.

Wuerffel joined the Redskins prior to the 2002 offseason in a trade with Houston. He has previously played for the Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers and New Orleans Saints.

At the University of Florida, Wuerffel led the Spurrier-coached Gators to a National Championship in 1996. That same season, he won the Heisman Trophy.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Man R Johnson must suck more than we thought. :doh:

Bingo!!!

Complain all you want about SS's blind loyalty to Waffle; but what about Hue Jackson's apparent blind loyalty to his college QB Rob J?

I just hope this doesn't mean we lose Ham Sandwich. I'd rather let RJ go someplace else. Tell me again why he gave him a nice signing bonus????:gus: :gus: :doh:

Archived