Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: Rage Against The Machine UK Christmas No.1

Harwich Hog

Not sure if this has gotten any coverage out in the States.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8423340.stm

Rock band Rage Against The Machine has won the most competitive battle in years for the Christmas number one.

The band's single, Killing In The Name, sold 500,000 downloads beating X Factor winner Joe McElderry's The Climb by 50,000 copies to clinch the top spot.

Their success followed a Facebook campaign designed to prevent another X Factor number one.

One retailer said it was a "truly remarkable outcome - possibly the greatest chart upset ever".

:)

Why exactly is a single from years ago winning anything?

(I like RATM. I just don't get why this would happen without everybody jumping into a time machine.)

Alot of cynics over here have questioned the choice of song and alot of people who defend the campaign have justified it.

I guess the genre and message of the song is just so polar opposite to what has become the norm over here with "pop mediocrity" dominating the charts.

This is great...About a couple minutes in but Morello is making great points about crap pop ballards.

Wish kids in the States would do the same but I think the majority are too stupid.

Getting support for a chart coup would be relatively easy, I would think. Organizing it and getting the word out would be the bigger challenge.

A W E S O M E.

I have always enjoyed RATM and the ending made me laugh pretty good. When the girl said "we told them not to do that" I laughed even more. She didn't even have to say that but the fact that they assumed RATM would do something stupid is funny haha.

How could they not unleash the expletives? The song's lyrics are "**** you, I won't do what you tell me" after all.

Getting support for a chart coup would be relatively easy, I would think. Organizing it and getting the word out would be the bigger challenge.

How could they not unleash the expletives? The song's lyrics are "**** you, I won't do what you tell me" after all.

The Facebook group that it started from had 950,000 members. Pretty impressive.

Having said that though - the sales were only 500,000 so not everyone in the group bought it. Suggests that getting the word out isn't as much of a problem as getting the people motivated to go ahead and buy the record.

Archived