Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Senate Has 60 Votes For Health Care: WashPost

mjah

Ben Nelson, come on down!

Deal on health bill is reached

Senate Democrats said Saturday that they had closed ranks in support of legislation to overhaul the nation's health-care system, ending months of internal division and clearing a path for quick Senate passage of President Obama's top domestic policy priority.

Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) secured the pivotal 60th vote after acceding to the demands of Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) for tighter restrictions on insurance coverage for abortions, along with increased federal aid for his home state and breaks for favored health-care interests.

"Change is never easy, but change is what's necessary in America," Nelson said at a morning news conference, announcing his support as a snowstorm raged outside.

Edit: Info on price from the article:

Congressional budget analysts reported Saturday that the revised package would not worsen the nation's fiscal situation, as GOP critics have warned. The analysts said the updated Senate bill would spend $871 billion over the next decade to extend coverage to the uninsured by dramatically expanding Medicaid and by offering federal subsidies to those who lack affordable coverage through employers.

Those costs would be more than covered by nearly $400 billion in new taxes over the next decade and by nearly $500 billion in spending reductions, primarily cuts to Medicare, the federal health program for people 65 and older. All told, the package would reduce federal budget deficits by $132 billion by 2019, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

Over the long term, the analysts predicted, the package could reduce budget deficits even more sharply, slicing as much as $1.3 trillion from projected deficits between 2019 and 2029. That would represent a significant improvement in long-run savings compared with the bill approved by the House and a measure previously crafted by Reid.

Some details on the bill:

The revised Senate bill would require every American for the first time to obtain insurance or face a financial penalty for failing to do so. Those without access to affordable coverage through an employer would be eligible to apply for federal subsidies and shop for coverage in the new state-based exchanges, starting in 2014.

The legislation would allow private firms for the first time to offer insurance policies to all Americans across state lines on the exchanges. Those plans would be negotiated through the Office of Personnel Management, which handles health coverage for federal workers and members of Congress.

Starting immediately, insurers would be barred from denying coverage to children with preexisting conditions. A total ban on the practice would take effect in 2014. Lifetime limits on coverage would be banned, and annual limits would be restricted until 2014, when they, too, would be banned entirely.

Insurers would be required to justify rate increases, and patients would have the right to appeal denials of claims to an independent state board. All insurance companies would be required to spend at least 80 cents of every dollar they collect in premiums on delivering care to customers.

All but the smallest employers would face fines of as much as $750 per worker if even one employee sought federal help to buy a policy. But at the behest of other Democratic skeptics, including Sens. Mary Landrieu (La.) and Blanche Lincoln (Ark.), Reid made changes to offer additional assistance to small businesses.

To appease fiscal conservatives, Reid strengthened cost-containment provisions by expanding the scope of an independent Medicare advisory board, empowering it to implement cuts if costs grow faster than an inflation-based target after 2019.

Tax impact:

The package would rely on nearly $400 billion in new taxes, including a 10 percent tax on indoor tanning salons to be paid by the customer, and an increase in the Medicare payroll tax for people earning more than $200,000 a year and families earning more than $250,000.

Now it's going to be up to a bunch people in offices all over Redskin Land to work hard and pull this thing off in a way that makes us proud. We Americans do that from time to time. I'm excited but a little anxious too. Certainly will be lot's of new things that can be ****ed up. I hope they get good people who can pull something like this off. At least some level of health care for everybody. It's what a good country should do IMO.

I do wish they would finally admit they have to cut some services elsewhere and raise taxes so we can start to get out of the hole, or at least not dig it too deeper.

We're having to do that at my job, local government, and while it sucks, everyone sees it as a duty to try and do more with less. Not to suggest the taxpayers are happy! lol

Now it's going to be up to a bunch people in offices all over Redskin Land to work hard and pull this thing off in a way that makes us proud. We Americans do that from time to time. I'm excited but a little anxious too. Certainly will be lot's of new things that can be ****ed up. I hope they get good people who can pull something like this off. At least some level of health care for everybody. It's what a good country should do IMO.

I do wish they would finally admit they have to cut some services elsewhere and raise taxes so we can start to get out of the hole, or at least not dig it too deeper.

We're having to do that at my job, local government, and while it sucks, everyone sees it as a duty to try and do more with less. Not to suggest the taxpayers are happy! lol

Good post, I definitely agree.

Can somebody fix this sig for me?

Kindly replace Purple with "bought off":chair:

I was about to put a little dot over Pasadena TX with a label reading, "EXEMPT" just for you. But Pasadena is off the bottom of the image.

It's the thought that counts, though, so Merry Christmas. :D

So let me see if I have this right. They are going to tax the middle class and the rich in order for those who don't have it to get it.

They are going to screw over the elderly in oder to pay for this. A deal was made in oder for the govt to fund abortions.

Sounds like a really good plan...:doh:

All I will say, is if this passes, don't expect dems to get voted for for a very long time. It could mean the end of the dem party.

I think we found the issue that will carry a Republican to the White House in 2012.

The taxes begin immediately, but the health care plan doesn't go in effect until 2014.

2012 nominee will simply promise to roll back the health care taxes... that will get them 45% of the electorate...

I think we found the issue that will carry a Republican to the White House in 2012.

The taxes begin immediately, but the health care plan doesn't go in effect until 2014.

2012 nominee will simply promise to roll back the health care taxes... that will get them 45% of the electorate...

Assuming no third-party candidate and nobody being found in bed with little boys, the 2012 GOP nominee will already get 45% of the electorate no matter what. Obama also will get 45% of the electorate no matter what.

The election will be driven by the middle's leanings, just as it always is.

As for opposition to this legislation being a driver of the election, I really doubt it. Obama will not be channeling LBJ's famous line about the South/Civil Rights and lamenting, "We have lost the rich for a generation" as he signs the bill which allows him to shout from every podium on Earth that he "gave" health care to 30 million Americans.

The economy will drive 2012.

So let me see if I have this right. They are going to tax the middle class and the rich in order for those who don't have it to get it.

Middle class is a $200,000 yearly salary...dang son I want to be middle class in your neighborhood.

They are going to screw over the elderly in oder to pay for this. A deal was made in order for the govt to fund abortions.

Very few and on a state by state basis.

All I will say, is if this passes, don't expect dems to get voted for for a very long time. It could mean the end of the dem party.

See I had the exact opposite thought, because I will be voting for any one in the State of Kentucky who runs opposed to Senator Mitch McConnell for his failure to represent the people of the Commonwealth of Kentucky in favor of his loyalty to the Party. I used to think that having a senator who was highly placed in DC would be good for Kentucky so I voted for him, guess I was wrong about that, as such I'll no longer be voting for Senator GOP from Kentucky.

As someone who supports the idea of healthcare, I think I can say I am unhappy with this bill. Too many compromises have nuetered it and they have taken out quite a few of the more useful parts. Perhaps, I am a victim of cherrypicked news here and it is better than it seems from afar. Perhaps, it will be refined positively as we go further. No laws are static and once on the books, hopefully, they can reshape it as they years pass in better and better ways.

They had a chance to do something big, noble, and right. Sadly, I think it's going to wind up mostly big. Everyone had to get their pound of flesh and the Repubs truly villainized the best parts like the public plan well.

Anyway, mixed but more negative feelings as of this moment.

Anyway, mixed but more negative feelings as of this moment.

I'm mixed on it as well, primarily ticked at McConnell for failing to bring some provisions home to Kentucky, but still very much mixed especially with the loss of the Public Option which 60% of Americans favored. 60 percent, when was the last time that 60% of Americans agreed on anything?

God help us. Hopefully the Supreme Court will stuff it.

Fixed, this bill is clearly unconstitutional in multiple ways.

As a conservative I am very dismayed by the importance abortion has had in this entire process. It seems like there are a lot of idiots out there on my side who would accept ANYTHING as long as there is no abortion allowed. This just seems ridiculous to me. I personally do not support abortion but I do not feel that the most important thing on earth is to impose my own personal views on society and I also realize that there are MANY people out there who are too stupid and irresponsible to think before procreating.

I am just so pissed off about this whole thing that I would actually support this bill more if it MANDATED abortions for all people who purchase health care through the public exchange. If you don't have the financial means and personal responsibility to purchase your own health insurance you sure as hell do not have the financial means and personal responsibility to have a baby!!!

Archived