Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Jerry Gray was interviewed for HC, Morroco Brown for GM

SkinsTribeVA

Okay, so we know Snyder gets who he wants to get. Why would you assume that an interview of an out-of-organization minority candidate would have been any more legitimate?

The interview was "legitimate" in my opinion. The rule doesn't state that you have to seriously consider someone. In fact, the rule itself sets the candidates up for token interviews just like this.

As you point out, if Snyder had brought in Leslie Frazier or anyone else and interviewed him, what good is that really doing? Personally, I think the spirit of the rule is great but I just don't see how it will ever truly work in practice. If an owner wants to hire a coach, why waste everyone else's time during the process? What are the odds that Snyder would have been absolutely floored by another candidate?

Time to make the Rooney Rule into the Rooney Rule with Snyder Amendment that makes it so that you have to interview at least one out-of-house minority candidate. This is awful.

Guess we don't have to worry about this guy changing the name from Redskins, huh?

:doh:

In a forum of ignorant posts, this one is a top 10 finalists.

The Rooney rule itself is a joke, but even with that being a fact, you have no solid evidence that Snyder made no true attempts to hire a minority during the GM search or the forthcoming HC search.

Someone's been reading PFT too much.

:doh:

In a forum of ignorant posts, this one is a top 10 finalists.

The Rooney rule itself is a joke, but even with that being a fact, you have no solid evidence that Snyder made no true attempts to hire a minority during the GM search or the forthcoming HC search.

Someone's been reading PFT too much.

While I agree that the interviews to satisfy the Rooney Rule are usually a joke, at the very least it gives minority candidates eyes on them. The more eyes that they do get, the more likely they will get chances at those positions.

The interview was "legitimate" in my opinion. The rule doesn't state that you have to seriously consider someone. In fact, the rule itself sets the candidates up for token interviews just like this.

As you point out, if Snyder had brought in Leslie Frazier or anyone else and interviewed him, what good is that really doing? Personally, I think the spirit of the rule is great but I just don't see how it will ever truly work in practice. If an owner wants to hire a coach, why waste everyone else's time during the process? What are the odds that Snyder would have been absolutely floored by another candidate?

Yeah, I probably misused the term "legitimate." What I meant was the second part of your comment.

While I agree that the interviews to satisfy the Rooney Rule are usually a joke, at the very least it gives minority candidates eyes on them. The more eyes that they do get, the more likely they will get chances at those positions.

I don't disagree with you, but let's take this situation as an example. Let's assume (big assumptions, I know) that Snyder KNEW he wanted Allen and he KNOWS he wants Shanahan (big assumption here, of course). Do you really think the interviews for any other candidates are going to be anything like an ACTUAL interview? I don't think so. He's going to have eyes on the guy he wants and he's going to do what he needs to do to satisfy the requirement.

In this respect, it is nothing but a slap in the face of the minority candidate who interviews.

Time to make the Rooney Rule into the Rooney Rule with Snyder Amendment that makes it so that you have to interview at least one out-of-house minority candidate. This is awful.

You don't think this goes on all around the league? Welcome to the NFL private club, the "we make the rules" organization of America.

+1

Although the Redskins and other teams have circumvented the spirit of the rule; it is most certainly not a joke.

Ask Rooney and Mike Tomlin or Tony Dungy who waited years for a HC job despite the Chuck Noll promoting him.

Minority advancement was another area where Bill Walsh proved to be ahead of the curve; he was an advocate for advancing minority coaches before the Rooney Rule.

In the 1980's the 49ers had a 2 week internship program that produced Tyrone Willingham, Jerry Brown, Marvin Lewis and Bobby Turner.

He also advocated a similiar program at the administrative management level in the NFL.

You don't think this goes on all around the league? Welcome to the NFL private club, the "we make the rules" organization of America.

Rooney is part of the club, and he's made a difference.

I buy into the idea -- I think it was either PTI or TK's radio show that presented it this way (and thelongshot in this thread) -- that even if you go through the motions, simply walking through the interview process raises awareness. If you wanted your boss' job and you were never even considered, wouldn't you at least like the chance to interview for a similar job at other companies? If you interview well several times, even for those who have their minds made up already, and word gets around, soon enough someone who is making up their mind will think of you first.

Interviewing well-known, in-house candidates that either have no real intention of coaching (though Gray would and Blache seems like a possible "While we wait on Chucky" hire) largely negates this benefit.

Nope, assignment of Asst HC can be viewed as a promotion. Here's a good example of it....

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2009/11/25/1173920/rules-on-hiring-nfl-coaches

You can't hire one team's offensive coordinator to be your offensive coordinator. If the Bears wanted to steal away a team's offensive coordinator, then he could only be hired as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator.

Isn't that what we did with Gregg Williams and Al Saunders?

You can't make a lateral move.

So if we brought in another coach who was a "Defensive Coordinator" they would have to be something like "Assistant Head Coach-Defense" here.

Its a loophole that we've taken advantage of.

I know, but that is what we did with WIlliams and Saunders isn't it? Both were "Assistant Head Coach / DC or OC"

Saunders was OC at KC. Then he came here with the Assistant Head Coach added to it, so it wouldn't be a lateral move.

Actually, Williams was let go by Buffalo, so the rule didn't apply, even though they gave him the same Title. AHC/DC

I know, but that is what we did with WIlliams and Saunders isn't it? Both were "Assistant Head Coach / DC or OC"

Saunders was OC at KC. Then he came here with the Assistant Head Coach added to it, so it wouldn't be a lateral move.

Actually, Williams was let go by Buffalo, so the rule didn't apply, even though they gave him the same Title. AHC/DC

Yeah, we're in agreement here.

I buy into the idea -- I think it was either PTI or TK's radio show that presented it this way (and thelongshot in this thread) -- that even if you go through the motions, simply walking through the interview process raises awareness. If you wanted your boss' job and you were never even considered, wouldn't you at least like the chance to interview for a similar job at other companies? If you interview well several times, even for those who have their minds made up already, and word gets around, soon enough someone who is making up their mind will think of you first.

Interviewing well-known, in-house candidates that either have no real intention of coaching (though Gray would and Blache seems like a possible "While we wait on Chucky" hire) largely negates this benefit.

Gray will eventually be a HC either at the pro or college level. He's interviewed with a few different teams and now has interviewed with the Skins. He's getting exposure and experience in interviewing. Tell me again why he isn't a legitimate interview?

BTW - Jon Gruden is not going to be the Skins HC.

Gray will eventually be a HC either at the pro or college level. He's interviewed with a few different teams and now has interviewed with the Skins. He's getting exposure and experience in interviewing. Tell me again why he isn't a legitimate interview?

He is a legitimate candidate/interview except that he never had a real chance to become the HC since it seems the Skins have already promised the job to Shanahan.

You can't make a lateral move.

So if we brought in another coach who was a "Defensive Coordinator" they would have to be something like "Assistant Head Coach-Defense" here.

Its a loophole that we've taken advantage of.

I don't think that's true. Don't know for sure, but I don't believe just adding Assistant HC makes it better than a lateral move. GW, Buges, Blache and Saunders were all without a contract when we hired them and gave them ridiculous titles.

Unless you are interviewing someone to be HC, the team they are under contract to has the right to deny you access. Even if it's going from position coach to coordinator. We needed Seattle's permission to interview Zorn a couple years ago.

I don't think that's true. Don't know for sure, but I don't believe just adding Assistant HC makes it better than a lateral move. GW, Buges, Blache and Saunders were all without a contract when we hired them and gave them ridiculous titles.

Unless you are interviewing someone to be HC, the team they are under contract to has the right to deny you access. Even if it's going from position coach to coordinator. We needed Seattle's permission to interview Zorn a couple years ago.

I certainly could be wrong, but that's what I thought was the case.

I actually thought Saunders was under contract when we got him, but apparently I was wrong about that too.

From my understanding you cant add asstitant head coach and call it a promotion even though they will be a coordinater. It has to be an actuall promotion

No, that isn't true, I believe we have hired OC's from other teams and made them Assistant Coach's.

Williams was fired from Buffalo and Saunders was part of Vermiels staff and wasn't being held onto the new staff when Herm Edwards was hired. So from no job to Assistant Head Coach/DC or OC isn't a lateral move.

Archived