Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Jerry Gray was interviewed for HC, Morroco Brown for GM

SkinsTribeVA

Article by Jason La Canfora

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8151513d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Washington Redskins already have begun the process of interviewing candidates for their potential head-coaching vacancy, according to league sources, with secondary coach Jerry Gray recently spending a Tuesday at team owner Daniel Snyder's house talking about the position.

Gray's candidancy would satisfy the requirements of the Rooney Rule, which mandates that NFL teams interview at least one minority candidate for coaching and general manager positions. The Redskins might have conducted other interviews with in-house candidates as well.

The Redskins also talked to at least one minority candidate for its GM job, with their current pro personnel director, Morocco Brown, among those interviewed, according to league sources. The Redskins declined to comment on the matter.

The Redskins' interest in major organizational changes is no secret (Bruce Allen replaced Vinny Cerrato as the top of football operations Thursday), and numerous coaches and executives expect Mike Shanahan to take over for Jim Zorn as head coach shortly after the season ends. Shanahan has been working out of an office in Denver, reviewing film and contacting potential staff members for weeks, according to sources, and Snyder is focused on the former Broncos coach taking the reins in Washington.

Allen and Shanahan also have been in tandem. Shanahan told the Buffalo Bills that he wanted Allen to be a part of his operation when he interviewed with the team several weeks ago, according to league sources.

Shanahan could look to hire several members of the Houston Texans' staff should coach Gary Kubiak be let go, with Shanahan's son, Kyle, among those targeted. Bob Slowik, Shanahan's former coordinator in Denver, is virtually certain to have a role on defense, according to league sources, and Jim and Jeff Goodman, who worked on personnel with the Broncos, remain closely aligned with the coach as well.

There is a sense among some in the league that perhaps Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones could make a run at Shanahan should his team collapse down the stretch as in years past, However, league sources say Snyder already has committed significant time and resources in his pursuit of Shanahan, and he is by far the primary target for that eventual opening.

Interesting stuff about Shanahan. There had been rumors about him wanting to team up with Bruce Allen but this is much more concrete. I'd be SIKED if Shanny came and brought his son in from Houston as our OC. But no way I'd want our defense to be run by the same guys who ran Denver's D during Shanahan's last few years there.

For everyone complaining about Snyders poor ethics, how do you feel about Gray, Blache, and Brown interviewing for their HC's job or a job that presumes his dismissal?

They way I see it, is that everyone in the organization knows he's done after the year and so does he. There are no hard feelings about it. I think everyone likes him as a person but they all understand he just wasn't ready to handle a HC position. I think its time for everyone on the board to move on and except whats going on. It's obvious that our organization has.

Who the F is Morocco Brown and what has he done to deserve a GM position?

:doh:

The Redskins also talked to at least one minority candidate for its GM job, with their current pro personnel director, Morocco Brown, among those interviewed, according to league sources.
would satisfy the requirements of the Rooney Rule, which mandates that NFL teams interview at least one minority candidate for coaching and general manager positions.

Dude, I don't want Bob Slowik as our defensive coordinator. Maybe a position coach job like d backs or something, but he is a horrible, horrible defensive coordinator. Ask any Denver fan what they think of him. Shanahan has mostly picked bad defensive coordinators in his career, I really hope if he's our coach he can promote someone on this staff.

Redskins want to land Zimmer as D coord but thats lateral move , so they would have to come up with a Asst Head Coach/ Def type thing

I think I'd rather have Zimmer than Slowik and doubt that Snyder will have a problem creating one of his goofy titles.

The Redskins' interest in major organizational changes is no secret (Bruce Allen replaced Vinny Cerrato as the top of football operations Thursday), and numerous coaches and executives expect Mike Shanahan to take over for Jim Zorn as head coach shortly after the season ends. Shanahan has been working out of an office in Denver, reviewing film and contacting potential staff members for weeks, according to sources, and Snyder is focused on the former Broncos coach taking the reins in Washington.

I find it amusing that the the changes were no secret, yet no one called the fact that Vinny was going to resign and Allen was going to take over for him. So, why should we take anything the media says in the rumor mill with anything more than a grain of salt?

I'll believe Shanahan is the head coach when the team says he is. Until then I'm going to focus on the rest of the season.

For everyone complaining about Snyders poor ethics, how do you feel about Gray, Blache, and Brown interviewing for their HC's job or a job that presumes his dismissal?

Obviously I am speculating here, but I "think" Zorn has already been told he will be let go at the end of the year. I think this because of his comments and demeanor/body language during interviews the last half of this year.

If this is the case nothing wrong IMO with the asst coaches interviewing for the job. Can't feel to horrible for Zorn as he stands to keep his $3 mil next year regardless.

Agreed, how about Gray for DC?

I've been iffy about Shanahan but thinking about this group is getting me excited:

Mike Shanahan as HC, Kyle Shanahan as OC, and a bunch of their guys from Denver/Houston to fill out the offensive staff, then Jerry Gray as DC with most of our defensive staff intact.

Oh, and Zorn as QB coach :silly:

I dont know too much about Bob Slowik...but did find this article interesting

"Champ Bailey called Slowik the best coach he has ever had."

"Arguments for keeping Slowik: One can hardly blame him for defensive injuries, and the Broncos have had plenty of those this season. They were without defensive captains Champ Bailey and D.J. Williams for much of the season, along with starting safety Marlon McCree at a real position of need for the entire second half of the season. For several weeks, they were playing three backups at all three linebacker positions."

http://broncotalk.net/2008/12/5120/broncos-buzz/bob-slowik-on-the-hot-seat/

Well, this article comes from La Canfora, who is only marginally more respectable at this point than is Florio. So, taking that into consideration, this next comment really doesn't matter much, but I'll make it anyway. La Canfora says that Slowik will be pegged for some role on the defense, he doesn't say anything about DC.

Despite the fact that 99% of all the rumors/reports have been wrong, they are still taken as gospel by some. I think they should be taken for what they are--supposition.

Also, regarding the silence with which the Vinny/Bruce exchange was made, I think the media is salty about it. The media seems rather quick to cry "conspiracy," so they must know how to run one. Figure this: They don't want to get made the fool of again, so they throw out all kinds of crazy garbage hoping that something sticks. Everyone believes the media reports, and starts nailing the team again for disrespecting Zorn, again. Just a thought.

Redskins want to land Zimmer as D coord but thats lateral move , so they would have to come up with a Asst Head Coach/ Def type thing, doesnt mean they will land him but his is on the list

From my understanding you cant add asstitant head coach and call it a promotion even though they will be a coordinater. It has to be an actuall promotion

I dont know too much about Bob Slowik...but did find this article interesting

"Champ Bailey called Slowik the best coach he has ever had."

"Arguments for keeping Slowik: One can hardly blame him for defensive injuries, and the Broncos have had plenty of those this season. They were without defensive captains Champ Bailey and D.J. Williams for much of the season, along with starting safety Marlon McCree at a real position of need for the entire second half of the season. For several weeks, they were playing three backups at all three linebacker positions."

http://broncotalk.net/2008/12/5120/broncos-buzz/bob-slowik-on-the-hot-seat/

I care more about results on the field than players' opinions. The Redskins D players also loved George Edwards, former LB coach, and supported his move to D-coordinator in 2003. The squad went from 5th in the NFL to 25th, one of only two seasons in the last 10 years that the Redskins didn't have a top 10 defense.

Under Slowik in 2008, the Broncos league rankings on D:

Yards: 29th

Takeaways: 32nd

Those are awful results. I don't want Slowik as the DC. He can coach the secondary if he wants, as that was his earlier position specialty. However, I don't see our D as the problem. I'd rather try Gray out and see how his version of the scheme will be. He knows the personnel and had more turnovers than Gregg when he was in charge of Buffalo's D.

Archived