Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Sixth Sense" Device

Mark The Homer

I'd love to see that in a pair of glasses instead of actually projected. I'd rather the rest of the world not see the information I am getting. Consider the law enforcement uses of instantly provided information. They could walk down the street and facial recognition software could point out people with outstanding warrants. You could attend parent teacher night and spot a sex offender. You could walk down a busy city street and ask for directions to the nearest well reviewed restaurant.

Yeah, If I want to know what time it is, I look at my watch. It's not that big of an inconvenience. Nothing that thing can do is that great.

The biggest problems are the technology to recognize things. Have you ever used the automatic checkout? Does anyone seriously think a couple hundred dollar system including some kind of camera, will be able to tell grocries apart, identify books, know which page you're on, recognize people's faces, etc? That's just not happening.

Another thing is what data is the system going to look at? To find useful information, the internet takes a lot of human filtering, to put it nicely. Everywhere you point that thing, you would get a lot of stupid people's bogus opinion plus a few adds for pills to enlarge your member. There would have to be billions and billions spent on a reliable, verifiable set of databases, and an extensive screening process to be able to add or edit anything. And you would need thousands of vetted people to edit all of this as things change daily in all sectors.

I'd love to see that in a pair of glasses instead of actually projected. I'd rather the rest of the world not see the information I am getting. Consider the law enforcement uses of instantly provided information. They could walk down the street and facial recognition software could point out people with outstanding warrants. You could attend parent teacher night and spot a sex offender. You could walk down a busy city street and ask for directions to the nearest well reviewed restaurant.
that scares the absolute crap out of me. Sounds like an easy recipe for tyranny :2cents:

Yeah, If I want to know what time it is, I look at my watch. It's not that big of an inconvenience. Nothing that thing can do is that great.

The biggest problems are the technology to recognize things. Have you ever used the automatic checkout? Does anyone seriously think a couple hundred dollar system including some kind of camera, will be able to tell grocries apart, identify books, know which page you're on, recognize people's faces, etc? That's just not happening.

Another thing is what data is the system going to look at? To find useful information, the internet takes a lot of human filtering, to put it nicely. Everywhere you point that thing, you would get a lot of stupid people's bogus opinion plus a few adds for pills to enlarge your member. There would have to be billions and billions spent on a reliable, verifiable set of databases, and an extensive screening process to be able to add or edit anything. And you would need thousands of vetted people to edit all of this as things change daily in all sectors.

Those problems are easily solvable with the comming technologies. Bank on this type of technology being mainstream in our lifetimes.

I'd believe it's possible in my lifetime, but honestly, what good is it? I've got a watch. I can actually talk to people and ask them what they're into IF I even care to know, and things like the Kindle, make that book rating capability pretty superfluous, since it would be super easy to incorporate into a wi-fi version. And googling your toilet paper is just stupid. Even if we could, how many people would stand around in the grocery aisles typing on their hand and researching products? Not many, I bet.

But whatever floats their boat. I think the near future is going to be the device that is like an Iphone, PSP, and Kindle all in one, with some kind of hands free, or good voice command system.

Too weird for me. And for all that talk at the beginning over googling people when you meet them, and googling which toilet paper to by has me wondering, what the hell happened to autonomy?

Nothing happened to autonomy. A machine doesn't choose your TP for you when you decide to Google which brand you should buy, it just provides additional resources for you to make the decision yourself.

Archived