Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College Football: Bowl Stuff

ixcuincle

Gerhart denied.

Looking at Stanford's page on him, again. They say he's 6' 1", 235. but he really looks "chunkier" than that, to me.

First time they showed a closeup of him carrying the ball, I saw the size of his arms, and I labeled him as a FB. But I don't think 235 is all that big for the NFL.

[/man crush]

I would love a Mike Alsott type FB here. A franchise FB to pave the way for our backs would awesome. Also, would be nice for short yardage situations. I would not waste a 1st round pick on him, maybe late 2nd or 3rd though. I am not big on draft status, so I have no clue where he is projected. I could be way off.

I don't think we can afford to invest our 2nd round pick or trade up to get back into the 3rd round to take a short yardage back. Those picks would be better served to find guys who will block for our short yardage backs.

As for Alstott, he was way overrated. ESPN made him a star, well namely Chris Berman and his sound effects showing Alstott runs. But he wasn't a great fullback. He wasn't a great blocker and he wasn't a great pass catcher. He was just a bulldozer who was never able to carry the load for an entire season and yet he somehow made pro bowls as a fullback even though he was nothing more than a short yardage and back up runner.

Don't know if Gerhart will be more than that or not but he is an intriguing prospect.

Granted, I was in and out of the room, so I only caught glimpses of the 2nd half, but I didn't see anything spectacular from Toby in the 2nd.

(And I didn't see enough for me to form an opinion as to whether this was due to him shrinking, or due to Oklahoma's defense successfully shutting him down.)

I still think he looked good. And I still haven't seen anybody else I liked better. But I'm probably not going to be pulling for him as much as I was.

Archived