Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College Football: Bowl Stuff

ixcuincle

Twenty-one years have passed since SMU rose from the dead, but it has taken 25 for the Mustangs to return to among the living in college football.

Two years after hiring coach June Jones away from Hawaii for $2 million per season, the Mustangs head to a Hawaii Bowl clash with Nevada for their first postseason appearance since 1984.

Perhaps no bowl game is more appropriate for SMU, and not just because it's a homecoming of sorts for Jones. The Hawaii Bowl is played in Aloha Stadium, and "aloha" is a word used to welcome and bid farewell. The Mustangs are hoping this game serves as their platform to do both.

They feel they're welcoming in a new era of optimism and possibilities under Jones, who took Hawaii from winless in 1998 to the Sugar Bowl in 2007. At the same time, the bowl game could be viewed as the Mustangs' final step to put behind them the aftershocks of the NCAA-imposed "death penalty" that crippled the program for more than two decades.

You have to hand it to June Jones. In his second season at SMU, he has the Mustangs in a bowl game for the first time in 25 years.

Last season, the Mustangs finished 1-11, their seventh season with one or fewer victories since returning from the death penalty in 1989. No one honestly could have seen a six-win improvement coming this season.

Well, no one except Jones.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1031798&PT=4&PR=2

Congrats Royally! :cheers:

Too bad it's all gonna come crashing down Sunday night :movefast:

OH NO YOU DINT! lol thanks. :D

June Jones is God!! Next season is gonna be fun. SMU plays both Texas Tech and TCU in non-conference play next season. I'm hoping we can at least give them tests, even if we don't win.

This is why the Cotton Bowl should go back and become a major player as a bowl. The old SWC went belly up after it was found SMU was paying players and lied about it, as well as other school were caught with infractions. I hope no one else in college sports ever gets the "Death Penalty" because it serves no purpose. Also I didn't know SMU finished high as 2 before the NCAA laid the shackles on them. Also look what famous HoF'er went to SMU during their hey-day. Here is a clue, he rushed for 2,105 yards in the NFL.

This is why the Cotton Bowl should go back and become a major player as a bowl. The old SWC went belly up after it was found SMU was paying players and lied about it, as well as other school were caught with infractions. I hope no one else in college sports ever gets the "Death Penalty" because it serves no purpose. Also I didn't know SMU finished high as 2 before the NCAA laid the shackles on them. Also look what famous HoF'er went to SMU during their hey-day. Here is a clue, he rushed for 2,105 yards in the NFL.

SMU was terrific in the early 80s with Eric Dickerson and the Pony Express (and also the late 40s when Doak Walker was around). SMU claims 1982 as a national championship year, they were the only unbeaten team in the nation. Penn St finished #1 in the AP poll but got blown out by Alabama. I'm confident that SMU team would have beaten PSU.

edit: also, I completely agree about the Cotton Bowl. I've been going to just about every Cotton Bowl since I was a kid, and it needs to get back to being a bowl teams want to play in rather than a consolidation bowl. The Cotton Bowl will enter the BCS picture soon, I know it.

Mike Leach will be suspended for the Texas Tech game for allegedly having a kid with sunglasses due to concussion symptoms stay in a closet.

I know Leach is one of the unorthodox coaches who likes Pirates, the "mad scientist" if you will, but putting concussion-afflicted players in closets is unacceptable.

The official release from the university doesn't shed much light. ESPN reporter Joe Schad, however, gets more specific on his Twitter feed: "Mike Leach is alleged to have isolated a player in a dark closet for not practicing with a concussion." That player, we soon learned, is wide receiver Adam James, son of ex-SMU star and current ESPN analyst Craig James, who reported to Texas Tech "with great regret and after consideration" that "[his] son had been subjected to actions and treatment not consistent with common sense rules for safety and health," according to a release by the family. Specific allegations include confining Adam James to an equipment room for three hours when he was unable to practice and instructing a trainer to "place James in an electrical closet." An attorney for Leach (who also has his own law degree) admitted James was secluded on two occasions, but "the circumstances were not as portrayed by the James family."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Mike-Leach-suspended-for-allegedly-isolating-C?urn=ncaaf,211027

Mike Leach will be suspended for the Texas Tech game for allegedly having a kid with sunglasses due to concussion symptoms stay in a closet.

I know Leach is one of the unorthodox coaches who likes Pirates, the "mad scientist" if you will, but putting concussion-afflicted players in closets is unacceptable.

I'm giving Leach the benefit of the doubt. You gotta remember that most of these coaches were in the game 20–30 years ago when a football player played through anything. If he did put him in a closet (because a concussion can sometimes make a person light sensitive), so what? It's not like he made him put a helmet on and run Oklahoma drills.

What if he just made him stand in a corner? Would that be any different?

I'm a coach and I know it's hard to motivate individual players on a big team. What if James had a penchant for acting out, wearing silly gears to meetings? What if he's a cut-up and Leach wasn't sure his "concussion" was as severe as it was?

I'm giving Leach the benefit of the doubt. You gotta remember that most of these coaches were in the game 20–30 years ago when a football player played through anything. If he did put him in a closet (because a concussion can sometimes make a person light sensitive), so what? It's not like he made him put a helmet on and run Oklahoma drills.

What if he just made him stand in a corner? Would that be any different?

I'm a coach and I know it's hard to motivate individual players on a big team. What if James had a penchant for acting out, wearing silly gears to meetings? What if he's a cut-up and Leach wasn't sure his "concussion" was as severe as it was?

I agree with you. Not sure what harm was done by putting him in a closet. Its not like he physically abused him or anything. And like you said, some people with concussions have a sensitivity to light. Maybe that had something to do with it? I dunno. But Bob Knight used to do much worse things and no one really said or did anything. Leach puts a player in a closet and this is a big story?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4779341&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The lawyer for Mike Leach says the suspended Texas Tech coach did nothing wrong in how he treated a player with a "mild" concussion, and Leach is seeking a court's help in allowing him to coach in the Valero Alamo Bowl on Jan. 2.

However, Leach and his attorneys anticipate Texas Tech will try to fire the coach in the near future, multiple sources tell ESPN's Joe Schad.

Remember last year when Leach and TT were on the verge of ending contract talks and he was about to be fired, and they negotiated an extension? Seems that things are starting to sour between the two parties.

Leach was fired this morning.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AnWC24DmnKJ7e3_T6QUHKBw5nYcB?slug=txtexastechleachfired&prov=st&type=lgns

LUBBOCK, TEXAS(AP) —Texas Tech has fired football coach Mike Leach.

The school handed a termination letter to Leach’s attorney, Ted Liggett, on Wednesday just before the two sides were to appear in a Lubbock, Texas, courtroom for a hearing on the coach’s suspension.

Liggett says the letter says Leach is “terminated with cause effective immediately.”

Leach was suspended by the university on Monday while the school investigated allegations that he mistreated an injured player.

Receiver Adam James alleges Leach twice confined him to small, dark spaces during practice after the player was diagnosed with a concussion.

Texas Tech plays Michigan State on Saturday in the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio.

Archived