Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No more Ukrops?!?!?!?

Duckus

WHAT THE ****? Ukrops was sold? Seriously? I had not heard about this until tonight when i was on RTD looking at the snow reports. This is crazy.

All 25 stores have been sold to a giant corporation? They are going to change the name? Be open on Sundays? Sell booze? What?

I got my first job at 15 at Ukrops and worked their throughout HS. It is an icon. Like the Jefferson Hotel, Byrd Theater, Tredegar Iron Works. Ukrops is Richmond. This is crazy.....

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/UKRO181_20091217-234201/312332/

bought by a ****ing dutch company :( the same people that own giant. I believe it's going to be called Martin's Market, but they're keeping the bakery sections as is and I believe they're keeping the same in-store staff. So don't worry, chances are your groceries will still be bagged by either a 95 year old retiree or a 14 year old high school kid :)

edit: Harris Teeter was in the works for a deal at one point, but I guess that didn't work out.

More info here:

http://www.ukrops.com/pdfs/CustomerLetter12-17-09.pdf

I heard on the local radio that the 1 store they have in Fredericksburg VA will close in 2010. This is not surprising as the are 3-4 Giants within about 5 miles of that store.

I grew up in Richmond and lived there as an adult from 1997 - 2004. They will be missed.

Another Richmond tradition fades into memory......

More info here:

I heard on the local radio that the 1 store they have in Fredericksburg VA will close in 2010. This is not surprising as the are 3-4 Giants within about 5 miles of that store.

Probably has more to do with the Wegman's that is right down the street from that Ukrop's. I don't see how they could compete. I worked at Ukrop's for a few weeks when I was 17 and quit. I just couldn't handle the cultish obsession a lot of people seemed to have for that place. The initial training was more like a brainwashing session.

Archived