Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Rumor Central: Allen hiring Redskins icon soon?

HigSkin

Gruden was a headcase and nobody should want him. He ruined the QB situation for years there. They got unlucky with Cadillac. But like I said, Allen drafted THREE Pro Bowl offensive linemen, with a few solid starters sprinkled in.

And they suck because they didnt draft a Pro Bowl QB. Perfect example of how you can draft 3 Pro Bowl OL and not have a QB and it doesnt do you any good.

And they suck because they didnt draft a Pro Bowl QB. Perfect example of how you can draft 3 Pro Bowl OL and not have a QB and it doesnt do you any good.

Well in fact the only years that Tampa Bay, under Allen, was in a position like ours (poor record, high draft pick) were 2005 and 2007.

During those drafts such greats as these were available.

2005: Alex Smith, Aaron Rogers (could have been a good choice for them), Jason Campbell, Charlie Frye

2007: Jamarcus Russel, Brady Quinn, Trent Edwards, Tyler Thigpen.

So excuse Mr. Allen for passing up those chumps for great linemen. The Buc's issues go deeper than just not having a Probowl QB. In fact, the Buc's haven't had even a serviceable QB since Brad Johnson. If anything, the only lesson the Buc's and Allen's past history should teach us is that you should retain serviceable-good quarterbacks (Jason Campbell) so that when you do have a great line you can get good play out of your QB. It also wouldn't hurt to get some lineman so that the 'Skins could get their running game back.

Not sure how I feel about this. I love the legend of Williams, but I don't know how strong he is as a personell guy. I think if I recall he wasn't a bad coach at the college level, but has he been a good scout? Does he have an eye for talent?

That's the first thing that I thought of, too.

What qualifies Williams?

Hey, great idea.

Let's reassemble the front office structure of Tampa Bay!

Is there a better team in the league to raid than one that made the playoffs (for one and done games no less) twice since their Super Bowl set up in 2002?

Tampa's not that talented of a team. They rode the defenses of Monte Kiffin and knew how to draft and sign FAs to fit his Cover 2 scheme, and Gruden and company were able to bring in random guys who were about on par with what Vinny has brought in here the past couple of years- in other words average, but nothing great. And in both of their playoff losses, they were outmatched by NFC East teams. There's nothing about that formula that sounds like a good idea to try in Washington.

And people actually want to bring in Jon Gruden as the HC on top of it all. Talk about aiming for a low ceiling.

I agree with this post. Can we at least raid a good team? The Bucs have been dying a long, ugly death ever since they won the Super Bowl. Allen and (I think) Williams presided over that decline. I didn't like the Allen hire, but I can live with it if we're going to pair him up with someone who has a reputation for quality. A scout from the Bucs isn't exactly someone who inspires confidence in me.

I agree with this post. Can we at least raid a good team? The Bucs have been dying a long, ugly death ever since they won the Super Bowl. Allen and (I think) Williams presided over that decline. I didn't like the Allen hire, but I can live with it if we're going to pair him up with someone who has a reputation for quality. A scout from the Bucs isn't exactly someone who inspires confidence in me.
Allen was the GM for the Bucs, but Gruden was the one calling most of the shots in terms of personnel moves.

Williams didn't come into the picture in Tampa until 2004, when he worked in the scouting department, and was promoted to Director of Pro Personnel starting this season.

He's not listed as doing anything notable except playing a role in the decision to re-sign Michael Clayton before this season, and he helped scout and bring in Antonio Bryant a couple years ago. Clayton's a bum who only had a great rookie year a few years ago, but Bryant's been pretty decent for Tampa.

So Williams doesn't have a real lengthy track record to judge him fully on yet. The Bucs are currently 1-12 though, so that doesn't look too good for Williams' case.

All in all, the idea of Williams coming here doesn't seem like that great of a personnel move compared to other guys probably available. It's great that he was a Superbowl MVP for us two decades ago, but I think the Skins can do better here.

I'd much rather have Eric DeCosta or Bobby DuPaul, but I believe this would be a lateral move for both of them if they were Director of Player Personnel with the Skins, therefor the Ravens and Bears could block the move.

I'd rather promote Campbell or Brown, frankly. From what I've heard about Doug, he's not exactly the best dude, even though he's a Skins icon (and not an affable, decent jerk like Theismann.)

Also, I think Campbell or Brown may know more about what they are actually doing.

BTW, do we KNOW that D. Williams likes Campbell? And let's put aside the pro/anti-Campbell stuff for a moment (even I've been open to him returning while we groom a QB with a higher ceiling) --if Williams likes him--WHY does he like him?

Or are people presuming this because Williams is black and wore the #17 for the Redskins (which would something of a vile notion, if true.)

This could mean JC stays.

He should get another year, who is better that is available?

Jason has made a complete turn around since he started to air this football out again. This team has shown they can be deadly when they go after defenses as they have the last few weeks.

Joe Montana saif this WCO took him 3 years to really learn and master it, but when he finaly got it down, the entire offense took a huge step to the next level, that being the level of a world champion.

The only way to know and prove that Jason has or even can reach that next level is to beat our division rivals these next 2 weeks at home against NY snd Dallas, and to finish off those 2 minute drives that will give us the victory that will incluse us among the NFL's elite teams. Lets see how he does these next 2 weeks, and may Rak destroy Eli and Rono!

On the surface, if we were to hijack a former Redskin for the FO, I think I'd go after Martin Mayhew. Unfortunately, I don't think he's gettable. Then again, it's really hard to know whether a scout/gm is good or not. Too much goes into it that we don't see. To take an easy example, look at Atlanta the year after Vick left. The team was abysmal. One year later with a new coach and a rookie qb they almost went the whole way.

So, the question is... are the Bucs extremely untalented or is their coaching that bad right now?

Wouldn't Tampa be able to block the move since it would just be lateral?

I read Williams contract is up at the end of this season. Not 100% sure if that's correct but it would mean he is a essentially able to walk if he wants.

I have no idea if he is a good personnel guy or not but we should not be bringing him in just because he was QB on a Super Bowl team here. If he stands on his abilities as a front office guy fine.

I have read good things about Campbell and Brown in our current structure. Why not promote from within is my feeling.

BTW, do we KNOW that D. Williams likes Campbell? And let's put aside the pro/anti-Campbell stuff for a moment (even I've been open to him returning while we groom a QB with a higher ceiling) --if Williams likes him--WHY does he like him?

Or are people presuming this because Williams is black and wore the #17 for the Redskins (which would something of a vile notion, if true.)

http://www.redskins.com/gen/players/Jason_Campbell.jsp

He wears the jersey number 17 in honor of one of his mentors--former Redskins Super Bowl MVP quarterback Doug Williams.

http://www.trackemtigers.com/2009/4/24/850773/campbell-and-brown-are-at-the

Former Redskins quarterback and current Buccaneers director of player personnel Doug Williams is a huge Campbell fan and believes he fits nicely into the new Tampa Bay offense.

Archived