Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rest in Peace - Chris Henry (Sammy Baugh one year anniversary)

SonOfWashington

I know that in the Stadium today, most of us Redskins fans are overcome with joy in the fact that Vinny Cerrato has effectively stepped down as executive vice president of football operations. I'm not trying to bring anyone down, but just take a minute to mourn the passing of another athlete in the NFL today: Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry.

In a situation far too familiar around this board, Henry was a previously troubled professional athlete who seemed to be getting his life back on track, before his life was tragically cut short. Complete details of his death are still unknown at this time. So please, take a minute to pray and/or extend your sincerest condolences to his family, as I'm sure they need it. The entire league was very supportive of Sean's family and the Redskins when he pass just over two years ago, and I'm posting this to show my support for the Bengals and Chris's family.

henry.jpg

This tragedy also falls on the anniversary of the death of another legend we knew very well: "Slingin'" Sammy Baugh. Baugh lived his full life, as he was the last surviving member of the initial class of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1963. He died on this date, December 17, one year ago, at the ripe ol' age of 94.

baugh-1-sized.jpg

Thanks for taking your time to read this little memorial, and please post your thoughts/prayers/condolences for Chris Henry, his family, and the Bengals organization and fans.

I don't feel the same way about Chris Henry as I did about Sean, but I understand why this has shown up in every forum on extremeskins. I need more info before I get real sad, because sean died protecting his family, not chasing after them in the back of a pickup truck.

I don't think any of us will feel the same way because we watched and rooted for Sean week in and week out.

What I see is another guy who was starting to turn his life around leaving behind family. The pain isn't the same as when Sean was taken, but there is a pain of that reminder and the pain of more children growing up to not know their father.

I don't think any of us will feel the same way because we watched and rooted for Sean week in and week out.

What I see is another guy who was starting to turn his life around leaving behind family. The pain isn't the same as when Sean was taken, but there is a pain of that reminder and the pain of more children growing up to not know their father.

Understood. Probably the wrong thread to post that, but that's how I feel.

What I see is another guy who was starting to turn his life around

I keep hearing the same thing from the Bengals, yet the man died in the midst of perpetrating an act of domestic violence.

If Henry was turning his life around, you wouldn't know it by his closing act.

Understood. Probably the wrong thread to post that, but that's how I feel.

We all have our opinions :)

I keep hearing the same thing from the Bengals, yet the man died in the midst of perpetrating an act of domestic violence.

I think that's a matter of perspective or maybe I don't know all of the facts. Was it stupid to chase after her in that manner? Yep. Was he acting violently? Not that I know of....

I don't feel the same way about Chris Henry as I did about Sean, but I understand why this has shown up in every forum on extremeskins. I need more info before I get real sad, because sean died protecting his family, not chasing after them in the back of a pickup truck.

Sean could have gotten himself killed during that ATV mess. And probably any number of other times.

The one thing that always bothered me about the Taylor retrospectives was this idea that he had "turned himself around." We don't know that. We know he was trying. But my guess was that he was still a young man who was still going to make some bad decisions in his life. I always talked about him as a man "in the process of becoming." We weren't going to know the real Taylor until he was 30 or 40 or 50 or 60.

Henry may have been trying to live a better life. He may have eventually succeeded. It seems likely that he was not yet successful.

The problem with the story arc of "angry young man" to "happy, mature adult" is that the story can end mid-plot.

There are 3 or 4 other Chris Henry threads in the Stadium already.

There is no comparison between Sammy Baugh and Chris Henry whatsoever. And I know today is not the day for this, but I resent the comparison in every way.

I did not see any of them. Saw one in ATN though.

And I can't tell if you're accusing me of doing that, but I never compared the two. Simply pointed out that they died on the same day.

Nice thread, classy IMO.

Ignore the haters, it's sad people will want to bring anything negative in a situation like this, people react to death in different ways. I say let them react and cope however they see fit, if all you can offer is something negative, just keep it to yourself IMO.

R.I.P. Chris Henry and watch out for Sean Taylor playing safety on the next football field you see.

My sig below will never change because I want to always remember ST #21. My condolances goes out to Chris's family and 3 kids in particular. It's very sad see a talented young man's life cut short...
I saw a picture with Chris and his 3 children, and thats when it really hit me. It's just sad that he was taken from his family, and those children will not have a father.

My prayers and condolences go out to Chris' family, especially his children.

I don't know about your life experience, I really don't, but have you never witnessed an essentially decent human being carry an argument too far or two people having a shouting match? Even if it's true that he was hitting on the back window of the pickup truck---can you say why? Was he trying to just get her to stop the truck and talk?

Unfortunately, the all-too-political environment surrounding "domestic situations" means that we are no longer allowed to view these incidents as anything but "violence." If a father bangs on a bathroom door for his daughter to come out (after an argument) is this "domestic violence?"

Certainly, it can cross over that boundary but I would suggest that there is no bright line of demarcation between fairly common and normal human interaction and the socio-political category of "domestic violence." We have no evidence, at this point, of abusiveness on his part or anything to suggest what you have said.

We are very quick to demonize a man who may be innocent of anything but stupid impulsiveness (in jumping onto a pickup truck) because of these convenient little cues we've been given by individuals or groups with their own ideological axes to grind.

I don't know about your life experience, I really don't, but have you never witnessed an essentially decent human being carry an argument too far or two people having a shouting match? Even if it's true that he was hitting on the back window of the pickup truck---can you say why? Was he trying to just get her to stop the truck and talk?

Unfortunately, the all-too-political environment surrounding "domestic situations" means that we are no longer allowed to view these incidents as anything but "violence." If a father bangs on a bathroom door for his daughter to come out (after an argument) is this "domestic violence?"

Certainly, it can cross over that boundary but I would suggest that there is no bright line of demarcation between fairly common and normal human interaction and the socio-political category of "domestic violence." We have no evidence, at this point, of abusiveness on his part or anything to suggest what you have said.

We are very quick to demonize a man who may be innocent of anything but stupid impulsiveness (in jumping onto a pickup truck) because of these convenient little cues we've been given by individuals or groups with their own ideological axes to grind.

x2 !

The man has just died, his G/F and his family had to see him apparently roughed up looking dying in a hospital bed.....the least we can do is not judge the man at least until details come out.

I have done a lot of stupid things fussing with ex-Gfs, A LOT, but I have never ever been violent towards any female, ever.

They were fighting, people do dumb things when fighting with someone you care enough about to marry...let him rest in peace at least a day or so before you trash him...

Nobody here should be attacking Chris Henry for "whatever" he did. Fact is, we don't know the facts. Everyone here can agree it was pretty damn difficult dealing with Sean's death, especially so, when people constantly we're saying "he's a thug who got what he deserved." Someone, who in many ways shared a lot of things with ST, just died and yet we are going to be the ones to cast stones - especially acknowledging how hurtful it was when people cast stones at a ST.

Shameful, that's all I can say about it

Archived