Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sport's Biggest Diva's are the ones who flood team message boards.......

Skinsfan4life83

*I read this in the paper this morning and thought it would fit nicely on this board, great stuff:D*

The Virginian-Pilot

© December 16, 2009

At a time of year when colleges are looking to fill football coaching vacancies, it's hard to believe that athletics directors and university presidents don't consult with the fans on computer message boards.

I mean, the fans have all the answers, right?

In many cases, they're the same people who gripe endlessly about how certain athletes are ruining the games. Especially those NFL wide receivers. Those divas. Horrible people, they are.

That's sort of funny. Because as the kindergarten crowd would say, it takes one to know one.

Who are the biggest drama queens in sports today?

It's got to be the fans. Chad Ochocinco could take diva lessons from fans.

Not all of them, of course. Just the boorish and hysterical ones - though their numbers appear to be growing on the Internet, which offers cover for snarky, spittle-spewing rants.

It's with a certain degree of awkwardness, then, that I present my Sports Diva of the Year Award to you, message board geek, for your tireless efforts in leaving no half-formed thought unexpressed and for your continuing quest to lower the quality of social discourse.

Please come up and accept your prizes: a crying towel and a bottle of Xanax.

They couldn't play the games, fill stadiums or sell TV time without zealous fans. But while their presence is encouraged and celebrated, the naked display of neediness on the part of some fans can get a little weird.

When the Redskins began the season by losing ugly to footwipes, a big part of the story revolved around the melodrama of suffering fans.

Boy, did we hear a lot from and about them. What with everybody soliciting call-ins, shout-outs, tweets, instant messages and e-mails, I guess it's asking too much for the basket cases to stifle themselves.

Not that the same measure of misery isn't felt in other NFL cities and on college campuses. Fans everywhere invite the pain. I think they half enjoy it.

Take those Tennessee Titans wing nuts - the ferocious message board snipers - who vilified Jeff Fisher when he tried to lighten the mood after a long losing streak by wearing a Peyton Manning Colts' jersey at a charity fund raiser.

Fisher's crime was obvious: he was guilty of having a sense of humor. That's a big no-no.

Fisher was mauled because he didn't appear to be suffering as much as the drama queens thought he should.

Fans also made sure that they - and their feelings - were the biggest angle when Brett Favre returned with the Vikings to Green Bay. What is more diva-like than to make the story all about you? That's what Packers fans, with the help of the media, did.

But there's no turning back now. Diva fans have taken over the digital world. They will be heard. Their raw emotions will be spilled. Just try to stop them.

It was almost quaint how, after he announced he was leaving Cincinnati for Notre Dame, Brian Kelly's house was egged, "and the sign on the lawn wasn't a For Sale sign."

That's old-school vandalism. The up-to-date creep doesn't grab a carton of eggs. He sits down at a keyboard and under a silly pseudonym tries to vandalize somebody's reputation. Is that any better?

It's impossible to single out each and every snarky, delusional fan who deserves the 2009 Diva of the Year Award. But you know who you are.

Please accept this honor in the spirit in which it is presented.

Then try to get over yourselves.

This journalist is spot on. I enjoy about 10 percent of the posters and their comments on Extremeskins....the other 90 percent are either idiots, or jerks so self absorbed with themselves that they have no clue how to relate to a real human being so they can be as rude and mean as they want behind a clever board name. I stopped years ago debating ill-conceived points and opinions. You can't debate someone who only sees his own point of view and/or fails to see the whole picture. Their entire "opinion" is based on one or a small sampling of plays seen on a small TV with no understanding of professional football.

I'm sure the Extremeskins divas will trash and flame me but do you think I really care....absolutely not. Your opinions mean nothing to me or most of the others on this board.

Oh...here's the URL for the divas who requested it....

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/sports-biggest-divas-are-fans-who-flood-team-message-boards

This journalist is spot on. I enjoy about 10 percent of the posters and their comments on Extremeskins....the other 90 percent are either idiots, or jerks so self absorbed with themselves that they have no clue how to relate to a real human being so they can be as rude and mean as they want behind a clever board name. I stopped years ago debating ill-conceived points and opinions. You can't debate someone who only sees his own point of view and/or fails to see the whole picture. Their entire "opinion" is based on one or a small sampling of plays seen on a small TV with no understanding of professional football.

I'm sure the Extremeskins divas will trash and flame me but do you think I really care....absolutely not. Your opinions mean nothing to me or most of the others on this board.

You sir...are my hero.

I love it! Sick and tired of the people who are so miserable that 'They demand justice' every stinking time we lose a silly game! Tired of the internet tough guys saying things on here that they absolutely would not have the guts to say to someone in person. Very well written and to the point article. Bravo!

Who takes this msg board that seriously? Seems to me like the phantom argument is forming again.. - I don't believe that anyone here actually thinks they know more than a hc, who has spent most of their career-based lives learning more and more about the game. Let's be real

-ppl do use the message board to kill time and maybe as a small hobby to discuss football with the above average fan.. Its nice talking about plays with people who understand the importance of line play, who understand what a difficult throws is and etc..

-there are extremists in every facet of life, its not just msgs boards.. Sooner you realize how to recognize them and deal with them your life will become much easier..

Archived