Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Clinton Portis expects to be part of offseason change.

WhoRUSupposed2Be

While a startling admonishment, you'd have to wonder if Portis is convincing himself and showing a sympathetic side towards the FO. Also, take into account that the FO may be wising up a little bit as far as catering to these players with big contracts.

Seems to me that he no longer has Mr. Snyder on speed dial anymore ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/15/AR2009121504549_pf.html

Redskins' Clinton Portis expects to be part of offseason change

Running back says he isn't retiring and wants to be a Redskin, but expects change

By Barry Svrluga

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 16, 2009; D01

Clinton Portis wore a burgundy Santa hat adorned with a Washington Redskins logo and emblazoned with the word "Redskins" across the furry front. And in that environment, at a charity function sponsored by the team that has employed him for six years, the Pro Bowl running back discussed what has been on his mind since he suffered a concussion more than a month ago: That his time in Washington may be over.

"I can't sit and tell you I want my career to be over here, but at the same time, you got to understand the business side of things," Portis said in a nearly 10-minute interview with a small group of reporters Tuesday at FedEx Field. "I've been here for six years, and we went to the playoffs twice. I think Mr. [Daniel] Snyder [the team's owner], with the pressure that's on him with the organization, [is] probably going to have to make changes. For everything that [goes] on, I'm to blame, so why wouldn't I be the change?"

Portis, who ranks second behind John Riggins on the franchise's all-time rushing list, was reflective about his current abilities and his legacy during the interview, which came during an appearance at the Redskins' giveaway to benefit the U.S. Marine Corps's "Toys for Tots" program. He said he does not believe the concussion he suffered Nov. 8 in Atlanta that ended his season will also end his career. "I don't think for one second it's going to be career-ending," he said.

But given the Redskins' disappointing 4-9 season and the fact that the team has won just one playoff game since he arrived in a 2004 trade with Denver, Portis said he would understand if he became part of sweeping changes to the roster.

"I would love to be here," Portis said. "I'm grateful of everything this organization [has] done for me. At the same time, it's just understanding the business side of things. I could be selfish and say: 'Oh, man, look at my production. Look at what I've done.' But we don't have anything to show for my production. So if it happened, it happened, and I can understand that."

[/Quote]

With Betts getting both and ACL and MCL injury will force the redskins to keep portis. If betts did not get that injury then I'd agree portis would be cut. Unless the skins get a better back than portis its dumb to think he's going to get cut. Portis is still a good running back, maybe not the amazing runner he once was but still a quality back. The issue I have wit portis is the contract he has, that indicates he's a top 5 running back when he is clearly not.

I hope they keep Portis. I also hope that spending the rest of the year on IR will give him a chance to heal and get back to top form. This is just my opinion but I think the increase in production of our run game without him has opened his eyes and hopefully that will light his fire again. Then again, what do i know.

With Betts getting both and ACL and MCL injury will force the redskins to keep portis. If betts did not get that injury then I'd agree portis would be cut. Unless the skins get a better back than portis its dumb to think he's going to get cut. Portis is still a good running back, maybe not the amazing runner he once was but still a quality back. The issue I have wit portis is the contract he has, that indicates he's a top 5 running back when he is clearly not.

Well, you'd have to consider if they decide to draft one also. Mark Ingram is certainly looking attractive as of now especially with him winning the Heismann Awards.

Oh, and you know how The Danny loves to sell jerseys ;)

If were not going to draft a RB with our first pick then we have to keep Portis. Thinking a old no talent guy like Betts can handle the load needs to end now. We should kick Betts to the curb and replace him with the best FA we can and use that man and Portis as a true 1-2 punch. I hope we go after Leon Washington

I think Mr. [Daniel] Snyder [the team's owner], with the pressure that's on him with the organization, [is] probably going to have to make changes. For everything that [goes] on, I'm to blame, so why wouldn't I be the change?"

Dripping with sarcasm.

There is NO REASON for me or anyone to REALISTICALLY believe that he will be AS PRODUCTIVE as he once was to command SUCH A SALARY! I believe he could be productive, but not for the amount they will be paying him.

We are seeing it RIGHT NOW and across the league, that when veterans go down, it causes young guys to step up. This team has been hanging there hat on the couple of playoff appearances they have had. Portis, as great as he has been, represents the old "business as usual" mentality the team has had. Its the same reason why ARE is still returning punts. They need to go in an entire new direction.

I believe he should, and will, be back.

Healthy, I believe he is still a top tier RB.

I don't think so. He provided very little in 2009 and almost nothing in the second half of 2008. I think Portis benefits from nostalgia. The most current incarnation of Portis is one that can't turn the corner, break a tackle, see the holes, is always hurt, comes back from the offseason in terrible shape (for a pro athlete), and hates to practice.

I don't think so. He provided very little in 2009 and almost nothing in the second half of 2008. I think Portis benefits from nostalgia. The most current incarnation of Portis is one that can't turn the corner, break a tackle, see the holes, is always hurt, comes back from the offseason in terrible shape (for a pro athlete), and hates to practice.

Exactly. He sets a bad precedent for younger guys coming in. Him imbodies that whole Vinny/Snyder way of going for big name guys who get their way and a fat paycheck.

If they keep him, they should restructure his salary to take a pay cut and perhaps put incentives in there for if he reaches certain performance levels. While I'd be all for bringing him back, its how much he is going to cost us after 2010 that will be a back breaker. We won't get another chance to unload his salary unless he retires.

Good. I hate Portis. He is a cancer and can't play football anymore. It seems that most people who defend him are idiotic. They always spew garbage such as

"Portis is right that it's ok to cheat on your wife with 13 women as long as you don't get caught."

"The man don't need to do no practicing during the week."

"I be thinkin Portis still da best back in the da league. Da line ain't blockin. Jason throwing the ball bad. Man, ya'll be back on Portis jock next year."

Well, if Shanny does come in here he'll be running a zone blocking scheme, something CP had huge success with. I saw it a bit this year but not enough IMO.

Anyway, I could see CP being used on draws, screens, etc. much like a Westbrook type to extend his career.

Good. I hate Portis. He is a cancer and can't play football anymore. It seems that most people who defend him are idiotic. They always spew garbage such as

"Portis is right that it's ok to cheat on your wife with 13 women as long as you don't get caught."

"The man don't need to do no practicing during the week."

"I be thinkin Portis still da best back in the da league. Da line ain't blockin. Jason throwing the ball bad. Man, ya'll be back on Portis jock next year."

^^ Wow. I don't remember reading any posts like that, but being the objectionable poster I can tell you are, and since I can clearly see you have no prejudice against Portis or fans who back him, I'm inclined to believe you.

If Portis DOES have anything left, I do think it would be more than a year. Sometimes, teams just need to move on to let others step up and grow. This team is REBUILDING!!! They aren't going to be in serious conention next year. If they are going to rebuild, then they need to continue with the youth movement.

Portis was part of the major change THIS year he goes out and what bdo you know 3 running back all with half the God given ability of Portis showed him just how to hit a hole. No tippy toen up to the line playing scared to get hit and pound the rock....he should see himself as part of the upcoming off season change...if he really wants to be a Redskin he will work on finding his passion again to ball if not he needs to go

^^ Wow. I don't remember reading any posts like that, but being the objectionable poster I can tell you are, and since I can clearly see you have no prejudice against Portis or fans who back him, I'm inclined to believe you.

Really? I'll be on break in an hour and then I'll pull some actual quotes that are pretty much right in line with the ones I made up.

Fans have grown tired of Portis talking to the media too much and the coaching staff giving him the star treatment because he bypasses them and goes to Snyder. Its time for Clinton to take his act some where else. Portis best years are behind him now. Think about it, this diva does not want to be on a rebuilding team next year so that is why he is telling the media he may not be here next year.

If they keep him, they should restructure his salary to take a pay cut and perhaps put incentives in there for if he reaches certain performance levels. While I'd be all for bringing him back, its how much he is going to cost us after 2010 that will be a back breaker. We won't get another chance to unload his salary unless he retires.

Giving Portis incentives would be awful. He already cries when he's not getting the amount of touches he wants. Right now he's only concerned about Riggo's record. Now, if you throw in money AND the record, talk about a cancer.

Well, if Shanny does come in here he'll be running a zone blocking scheme, something CP had huge success with. I saw it a bit this year but not enough IMO.

Anyway, I could see CP being used on draws, screens, etc. much like a Westbrook type to extend his career.

Portis is nowhere near the caliber of Westbrook.

Shannahan will not want Portis to run his scheme especially after the beating he's taken behind Gibbs' scheme.

Archived