Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Walls probably will sign with TBay or GBay

It looks like Walls will sign either with Tampa Bay or Green Bay. :cry:

Packers make pitch to Walls

Tight end has offers from other teams, too

By BOB McGINN - bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Last Updated: Aug. 1, 2003

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers would like to sign aging tight end Wesley Walls after his exceptional workout Friday in the Don Hutson Center but have competition for his services from Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay and Washington.

Walls undoubtedly would supplant the fans' No. 1 whipping-boy, Tyrone Davis, as No. 3 on the depth chart and also could ease past David Martin as No. 2 behind Bubba Franks. Agent Jimmy Sexton said his client would not make a decision until today or Sunday.

"I think it probably will be between us and Tampa Bay," vice president of football operations Mark Hatley said. "I just think he feels better about the West Coast offense."

Walls, 37, visited last week with Tampa Bay, which has veterans Ken Dilger and Rickey Dudley at the position. He was in Washington on Thursday, when the Redskins reportedly pushed hard to sign him to a veteran's minimum one-year deal of $755,000, although just $450,000 would count against the salary cap. Coach Steve Spurrier starts unproven Zeron Flemister at tight end.

The Carolina Panthers, for whom Walls made the Pro Bowl after the 1996, '97, '98, '99 and '01 seasons, released him Feb. 26. He had a $1 million roster bonus due March 1 and a base salary of $2.2 million.

Walls started 14 games in 2002 under first-year coach John Fox in a run-oriented offense that didn't feature the tight end. His totals of 19 receptions for 241 yards were his lowest since 1993, and several times he criticized the way in which he was used.

In a 14-year career Walls has 430 catches for 5,089 yards and 53 touchdowns.

Walls worked out with coach Mike Sherman, quarterback Brett Favre and a group of scouts and coaches watching. Doug Pederson did the throwing.

"He didn't look 37 years old," Hatley said. "He had a great workout for us. He caught everything. He and Brett are pretty close."

Walls, 6 feet 4 1/2 inches and 250 pounds, led the Panthers in receiving in both 1996 and '97. Never a very good blocker, Walls ran exquisite routes, had good speed in his prime, and knew how to push off and find seams in the red zone.

He suffered a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in Week 8 of 2000 and in Week 14 of 2001, requiring reconstructive surgery each time. However, the Redskins reportedly timed in 4.8 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

Martin damaged a hamstring on the second day of training camp, has missed the last 16 practices and could miss as much as a week or two more, according to offensive coordinator Tom Rossley.

"He was playing pretty good," Rossley said. "He flashes all that ability and something happens. I don't know. He's been kind of a tease."

Davis, 31, has 71 catches in six seasons for the Packers. Once again, he is overweight, and hurt himself by dropping two passes in a modified scrimmage Monday night and then blowing an assignment in a goal-line scrimmage Thursday. Rossley said Davis is dependable mentally.

Free agent Joey Knapp, the fourth tight end on the roster, damaged his left hamstring again Thursday and the word was that he would be out indefinitely this time. Veteran Cory Geason can block but is too slow.

Martin and Davis are experienced and seemingly willing participants on special teams. Walls, on the other hand, has no special-teams capability.

"With David down and we just lost Joey Knapp, here's a guy who is supposedly a good route runner and still has a little legs left," Rossley said. "At 37, I don't know. Yes, I think he could help us out."

Update:

Walls weighs offer

Packers wait on decision from veteran tight end

By BOB McGINN

bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Last Updated: Aug. 2, 2003

Green Bay - Tight end Wesley Walls left Green Bay Friday with an extremely favorable impression of the Packers but has put off his choice of teams until Sunday or Monday.

"I know where I want to go," Walls said Saturday from South Carolina, where he was in the mountains clearing some trees. "I'm just hoping they want me as bad as I want them."

Asked if Green Bay was the place that he wanted to be, Walls laughed and said, "Well, I shouldn't say that right now. But when this thing goes down I'll be glad to give you some real good stuff."

Walls, a five-time Pro Bowl player who turned 37 last winter, said money wouldn't be an issue.

"I want to go somewhere with a good quarterback and a good team and a chance to win a bunch of games and maybe get to the Super Bowl," he said.

The Packers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins all have had Walls in for a workout and visit. Each team probably is offering no more than the minimum base of $755,000 plus a $25,000 signing bonus in order to fulfill the veteran's salary benefit and have the contract count just $475,000 against the salary cap.

Green Bay has the best quarterback in Brett Favre and is coming off a 12-4 season. Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl behind veteran Brad Johnson. Washington was 7-9 and has second-year pro Patrick Ramsey at quarterback. Ramsey is represented by Jimmy Sexton, the agent for Walls.

"Brett's a good old Mississippi guy," said Walls, who grew up in Mississippi and played at Ole Miss. ""I've always watched him and wondered what it would be like to play for him."

Two of Walls' teammates at Carolina, running back Lamar Smith and linebacker Hannibal Navies, also are in Green Bay.

"I was very impressed," Walls said. "I was a little surprised by the facilities there and I was really impressed by the renovation to the stadium and the people. I've got a lot of respect for the way they play football and the way they handle themselves professionally, from the coaches to the players.

"I'm hoping to get this thing over with because I'm ready to get started and get back to work."

The Packers have lost out on some other veterans that they wanted in 2003, including linebacker Dwayne Rudd to Tampa Bay, kick returner Terrence Wilkins to Carolina and safety Sammy Knight to Miami.

"We've expressed our interest and made our offer," negotiator Andrew Brandt said. "We're waiting to hear."

i've got this info from the eagles message board.

green bay signed former eagle TE luther broughton as of sunday.

with the packers signing him i think that helps us with Walls....

i could see him going to tampa,but they are loaded at TE..

ONE CAN ONLY HOPE...

Originally posted by GritzRgreat

i've got this info from the eagles message board.

green bay signed former eagle TE luther broughton as of sunday.

with the packers signing him i think that helps us with Walls....

i could see him going to tampa,but they are loaded at TE..

ONE CAN ONLY HOPE...

Here's confirmation:

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2003/08/03/1/

The Green Bay Packers have signed tight end Luther Broughton as a free agent, GM/Head Coach Mike Sherman announced Sunday.

A six-year NFL veteran, the 6-0, 255-pound Broughton has played in 62 career games with eight starts. Originally drafted by Philadelphia in the 5th round (155th overall) in 1997, he last played in 15 games for Carolina in 2001, making 2 receptions for 22 yards. Broughton signed as an unrestricted free agent with Chicago in 2002 (March 8) and became a vested veteran on Sept. 1. He was out of football during the 2002 season.

The Furman University alum spent most of his rookie year on Philadelphia's roster but was signed to Carolina's active roster from the Eagle's practice squad before the final week of the season. He spent the 1998 season with the Panthers, recording 6 catches for 142 yards.

Broughton was subsequently traded from Carolina to Philadelphia in 1999 (September 5), having his most productive pro season by posting a career-high 26 catches for 295 yards with 4 touchdowns. He remained with the Eagles for the 2000 campaign but returned to the Panthers in 2001 as an unrestricted free agent (April 27).

Broughton, who joined the Packers on the practice field this morning, has been assigned jersey No. 49. In a related transaction, tight end Joey Knapp was waived/injured (hamstring).

Didn't we offer a one year contract? If neither team is going to give him a big pay day, why not sign with the 'Skins for around the same money and have a strong chance to start? Sure he won't be a feature of the offense but around the Goal line i'm sure Spurrier will use him. Definately has a chance to become a real assest and have a better pay day next year.

Makes sense to me...

Archived