Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watson...

EvilMonkeyBoy

Well, according to most reports I am getting, people I know that have been to camp, and the post, Watson has been very impressive in camp. With Betts continuing to sit out and Watson looking like he can get the tough yards, I am thinking we may end up trading Betts and keeping Watson. I am somewhat for the idea because Betts has trade value that Watson doesn't and Watson seems to be looking like an tough inside runner.

Anybody else for this Idea, or for the idea of starting Kenny?

Originally posted by Oldskool

I like Watson. You have to root for the underdog, undrafted walk on to make your team.

I think he will be cut by the end of camp tho. :doh: :twitch:

I thought so too, but according to the post, they are very impressed by his skills, so I'm starting to think otherwise.

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyBoy

I thought so too, but according to the post, they are very impressed by his skills, so I'm starting to think otherwise.

Id like to think so but the thought of keeping 4 RB's on the roster just doesnt seem like Spurrier's style.

Originally posted by Oldskool

Id like to think so but the thought of keeping 4 RB's on the roster just doesnt seem like Spurrier's style.

I really think there is a chance though that Canidate may be cut or that Betts may be traded now, Canidate from what my friends have told me hasn't looked that great, but that his speed is the only thing keeping him in the hunt

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyBoy

I really think there is a chance though that Canidate may be cut or that Betts may be traded now, Canidate from what my friends have told me hasn't looked that great, but that his speed is the only thing keeping him in the hunt

See Ive heard that Cannidate looks good and has added extra mass in the offseason. I think Cannidate is a lock.

Betts is been out with a elbow injury. He is our tough between the tackes runner/goal line guy. I dont see him being traded.

Morton is a lock for PR/KR and possibly as a 3rd down RB.

Watson has been the odd man out since we got Morton. :(

Originally posted by Yomar

I know the Lions just said they are not trading Shaun Rogers, but a Betts/Rogers deal kind of makes sense for both teams, especially if the Lions sign BDW

Id much rather do a Watson/Rogers trade, as I think Betts has more upside than Watson has IMO.

I believed several months ago, starting a few days before SOS declared that he would only keep 3 RBs, and I still believe today ... that when the time comes for the final cuts SOS will decide that our 4th best RB (in addition to both FBs) has more promise and is more worthy of a roster spot than our 6th best WR and our 3rd best TE.

He will keep all 4.

HTTR!

Originally posted by stevea

I believed several months ago, starting a few days before SOS declared that he would only keep 3 RBs, and I still believe today ... that when the time comes for the final cuts SOS will decide that our 4th best RB (in addition to both FBs) has more promise and is more worthy of a roster spot than our 6th best WR and our 3rd best TE.

He will keep all 4.

HTTR!

I don't think our 4th RB(who ever that may be) will be more valuable than our 6th WR (Russel, Pat Johnson, or McCants), and possibly not more valuable that our 3rd TE if we sign Walls.

Walls isn't coming to DC, it's pretty apparent he's going to stay within the West Coast Offense which means TB or GB.

In the end, I think we'll keep two TE (Flemister, Royal) and the loser of the Kevin Ware/Leonard Stephens battle goes to the Practice Squad.

There is your additional slot for the 4th RB.

I must also add that next year a TE with both speed and blocking skills will be a "need" for the Redskins.

I always thought if you were trying to work a trade on a player, you would give that player the opportunity to strut his stuff. and talk that player up.... "Thet kenny Watson feller shur looked good today....."

Holding Betts out of practise, and him being listed as injured isn't exactly going to raise his trade value.

All this talk of trades... seriously fellas,, trades in the NFL involving players happen about as often as Bill Parcells sees his own feet. Forget it, Watson is more than probably not going to be traded. The odds are long.

As it is, All I have read about Watson is positive.. granted I am going on newspaper reports and such, but take this morning's Washington Post for example... they have their 'depth chart' s0 to speak for the RBs in which they rate each of them based on performance thus far,, and Watson is not listedd as number 2, he's listed as number 1A .... with blurbs like

"...kept doing what he's best at, running between the tackles and PLOWING OVER DEFENDERS for tough yards.. the Redskins Really like his physical play."

I've said numerous times over the offseason that I hoped he was not the odd man out, because I thouht he ran really well in the hole. Nice to see him proving me right. Couple what sounds like a great week of practice for him with the receiver background he has, and it seems as snug a fit as can be.

If I'm Ladell Betts, I'm more than a little worried.

I also really like the reports I hear about Canidate. He's running well, breaking big runs, running tough inside. What about fumbles? Anyone who's been to camp want to fill us in on their impressions on our RBs?

I'm not going to be able to get myself out to see with my own eyes for another ten days or so.

~Bang

I've read several reports from fans who've attended camp and none of them have been glowing over Watson. But I hear he's been solid - just nothing spectacular. In fact, I've read praise on differing days for Canidate, Morton and Betts.

It's an interesting competition and I assume we'll end up with some form of RB by committee.

At the end of last season, I thought Betts was BETTER than Davis. I was VERY pleasantly surprised with Ladell last year--- good between the tackles and has more burst than I thought.

I LOVE RB by committee-- it's one position where I don't think you need one guy to be "the man." But if I had to choose, I think I'd keep Betts before any of the others. Small sample size, but I'd like to see more.

RB is one reason many experts aren't picking us to be very good--but it's always been a slightly overrated position, IMO. I like the guys we have competing and with this O line and WR corps, I don't see RB as a problem at all this year.

Watson and a draft pick for Grady Jackson.

My saints fan friend tells me that the Saints really arent happy with their backups RBs. Im not sure why, from what I've seen from Fenderson, he did pretty good. And Ive seen Curtis Keaton play a few preseason game, I believe they were for the Bucs though. He was really impressive. But apparently he lacks discipline in his running and the ability to learn a playbook.

i think we're going to keep them all .....watson for a 5th..doesn't seem like a good trade...not even rogers does....

if we have to cut one hopefully something big happens to ease this choice....I don't want anyone to get hurt but if one of the two started to suck for some reason I wouldn't feel as bad when he goes....

1. Betts won't be traded, the investment was too large to let him go before we know what we have. If he goes elsewhere and becomes a consistent 1,200 yard back the front office will be embarrassed.

2. Morton only goes 175. He is not going to be a major factor in the run game. His value will be as a situational player on third downs. So, I don't see him as really being in the competition with the other three for the full-time or lead role.

3. As others have mentioned, Watson is an excellent special teams player and makes little change. Why would the Skins just cut a guy like that for no gain? He may leave in 2004 when the RB situtation settles down, but that's no reason to jettison a guy who will be productive for us in 2003 on ST and as a backup.

Archived