Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The second half of the season should teach management a good lesson

SMOSS89

You don't win with stars. You will have exceptional players on your team, true. And there will be moments where you will cherish your 'stars'. But you cannot win with 22 star players on your team. You can't. You win with attitude and hunger.

We are seeing more scrap in this team than they have shown since second half of 2007. The youth of this team and the attitude they bring really is a spark and should show management that you gotta have a young version of James Thrash, Mike Sellers, Rock and Lorenzo Alexander on your team. You gotta have like 5-10 of those role player type guys on your team to truly be a team. If and when Dan gives Vinny another chance after he fires Zorn, if he points to the second half of the season as a reason why he kept the structure the same, then he MUST acknowledge the fact that they played well DESPITE and maybe BECAUSE of the injuries to the aging veterans (some who carry baggage).

The thing we have all asked for is a philosophical change from the top. If it is to happen, we need Dan to see what happens when you have a younger, scrappier team who plays hard no matter what and think team first. Hopefully this is what the second half of the season is teaching him that lesson.

Or, you know, Dan will just bring in Shanny, keep Vinny and then it's business as usual. Blame the season on the injuries and here we go again for the next 10 years.

I don't think the lesson is necessarily that you don't win with stars. I think it is more that, each team needs to make it's OWN STARS.

When you sign stars from other teams, there usually a lot of reasons why they were a star with the team they came from and it wasn't just their own ability alone.

I don't think the lesson is necessarily that you don't win with stars. I think it is more that, each team needs to make it's OWN STARS.

When you sign stars from other teams, there usually a lot of reasons why they were a star with the team they came from and it wasn't just their own ability alone.

I think you completely nailed it. It really takes time to come into a new team and new situation and figure out how to be successful. It took Andre Carter a while to do it here and he was one of the smartest and most coachable free agents we've signed. The problem with star free agents is that you don't have a lot of time for them to grow into their new role. You get maybe 3 years before they start to decline heavily, and if they spend the first year and a half of their time getting the lay of the land then they won't be productive for long at all.

I was just thinking along those lines today. That some of the players that have stepped up in the last part of the season, gives me hope that maybe next year we will be a team to look at.

Even though we have lost many games, we have been in it or winning and only lost due to stupid errors on our part.

I think zorn has shown that he can keep a team fighting and together and it seems that the players are responding.

It seems that we play better with someone else calling the plays.

It seems that some of our young talent is paying off and it shows. Davis is a stud. Orakpo is a monster as a rookie. Kelly is showing up. campbell is doing much better. If we keep the core D line, our young WR's improve on this seasons performance and campbell improves on the off season, and we solidify an O-line, we have a good team that can win without as you stated Stars!

The offensive production we have had in the past 3 games has been what we havent seen since 4 years ago. Two straight games of 30+ points? Three straight of 24+? The only starters on our offense are Moss, JC, Rabach(who is terrible anyway), and Dockery. We have a backup TE, RB, LT, RG, RT, and young WR starting, and yet we are far more potent than with our "stars" in the game.

The second half of the season should teach management a good lesson

You don't win with stars. You will have exceptional players on your team, true. And there will be moments where you will cherish your 'stars'. But you cannot win with 22 star players on your team. You can't. You win with attitude and hunger.

I hate to point out the obvious, but since we're 2-3 over the 2nd half of the season, we're not "winning" with stars or withOUT stars...we're not winning at all lol :)...

If "management" were to learn anything from the 2nd half of the season, I would hope it's 1) patience with players, and 2) don't have both your HC and your OC be guys who have never been an OC at the pro level before.

I'm afraid Dan is going to sign some mega star again this off season. He'll feel he needs to, to spark ticket invoice payments. And the fans will bite - hook, line, and sinker.

I'm afraid this is what's going to happen...

This off season will show us if Snyder is in this for the wins or for the marketing/money.

The Marketing Sndyerrato will fire Zorn and let JC go. The Marketing Snyderrato will then hire a big-name coach and draft a young QB to spark interest and jersey sales.

If Snyder really does care of winning then he will keep everything as is and build the OLine through the draft and free agency.

Sadly, I think the Marketing Snyderrato is going to show his ugly mug this off season and we will be starting all over; AGAIN! :mad:

Archived