Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Sack Leaders (re Orakpo #4 & Carter #5) going into Sunday Night (Merged x2, MET)

Farbod21

It is actually a competition for DROY ... I think Byrd will get it or Crushing.. Although they may want to look away from LBs given their recent prevelence . Orakopo though would have been an outside bet a few weeks ago but has to be closing on the prize with a 4 sack game .

Personally while it would be nice to have him in consideration I would prefer him to have a long productive career rather than a promising rookie .

That said I think although Bryd is having one hell of a season he is having a lot of bounce in his favor . Top DBs don't normally have 9, 10 Int seasons without a lot of luck . Not saying he wont have a stellar or at least solid career but I am wary of gaudy DB numbers after looking at the likes of Walt Harris .

Crushing is playing like a seasoned pro . I think he is going to be an outstanding LB for a long time .

Orakopo started slowly at LB, would have been an okay OLB but is obviously better with a hand in the dirt . DE is one of the possitions that can take a while to transition into the pros, or guys may explode on the scene and then disappear . It is hard to project what Rak will do but 11 sacks in his rookie season is very promising ...compare that to HoF Jason Taylor who was asked to play a very similar role to Rak...

Orakpo's a monster - and to think I was actually luke warm with the prospect of drafting him. This guy is playing better than anyone expected IMO - much better. IMO, this cat is playing like he should have been the first player taken.

It's nice to see Carter play well without Al.

Lorenzo Alexander is the most underappreciated Redskin I've ever seen. If we don't keep him it would be an absolute travesty.

The rookie record for Ints is 14. Byrd isn't going to reach it. Cushing, while having a solid year, isn't having a spectacular year in comparison to other rookie LBs like when PWillis was a rookie. Orakpo, if he breaks the rookie sack record, which is a big if, would almost have to be guaranteed DROTY, since he would have done something no other rookie has ever done in the NFL. If he reaches 15 sacks and doesn't get it, he will be robbed.

INTS > sacks, because sacks aren't turnovers. Also, Byrd has as many tackles as Orakpo, and he's playing FS while Orakpo is playing SLB. Byrd also went five straight games with a pick; three in a row with two.

And you really might want to look at Willis' "spectacular" rookie year compared to Cushing's.

Willis' rookie season: 135 tackles, 5 passes defensed, 0 INTs, 2 FF, 4 sacks

Cushing through 13 games: 112 tackles, 9 passes defensed, 3 INTs, 2 FF, 2.5 sacks, 1 safety

That would probably be a Pro Bowl year for any linebacker, much less a rookie.

Osackpo's having a phenomenal season, but it's not even close to a lock for DROY.

He missed a couple in Dallas and against NO, I believe. If he had gotten those, there is no doubt he would have the record. I am loving Orakpo though!!!

He also got a sack taken away in the Carolina game. He lined up in the neutral zone when he beat Jordan Gross on a bullrush. If he'd have only lined up two inches further back, he'd have 12.

Then again, DeMarcus Ware is apparently allowed to line up in the neutral zone.

Andre Carter and Brian Orakpo both in the top 5 NFL sackers with 3 games to go!!! Wow its been a long time since we had something like that (Manley/Mann?). Could Orakpo get the rookie record? It's great to finally see some defensive players with stats like that. Shame Carlos Rogers and Fred Smoot haven't got any INT's yet.

:dallasuck

INTS > sacks, because sacks aren't turnovers. Also, Byrd has as many tackles as Orakpo, and he's playing FS while Orakpo is playing SLB. Byrd also went five straight games with a pick; three in a row with two.

And you really might want to look at Willis' "spectacular" rookie year compared to Cushing's.

Willis' rookie season: 135 tackles, 5 passes defensed, 0 INTs, 2 FF, 4 sacks

Cushing through 13 games: 112 tackles, 9 passes defensed, 3 INTs, 2 FF, 2.5 sacks, 1 safety

That would probably be a Pro Bowl year for any linebacker, much less a rookie.

Osackpo's having a phenomenal season, but it's not even close to a lock for DROY.

Taking out an opponents QB causing them to switch to their crappy backup for the rest of a game counts for a little as well.

Archived