Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So we should draft Ndamukong Suh and our defense goes to a 3-4?

BrandonJ83

I have seen this guy play and he is phenomenal. I think if he is still on the board we draft him due to his awesome ability. I know we need OL and sometime in the next few years we need a qaurterback but I personally hope that they keep Campbell for two more years. We can draft Suh, pick up some Oline guys with our other early round picks and maybe look for a QB next year? I think RB will be fine with improved blocking and our WR corp is going to be really good next year, another reason i think we stick with Campbell who is building confidence and continuity with these guys.

Anyways my real question is if we did draft Suh, would our defense become a 3-4 front. It maybe a very good way to mix it up and have Suh, Hanyesworth, and Carter rushing with Orakpo being a swing guy who could come off the line and rush the QB or drop back in zone blitz type set up which could generate turnovers with the lesser QBs. Anyways, i think it would be fun to see this defense play together. A real PlayMaker type D.

Well, if we were to draft Suh then I would expect to see a lot of 4-3 and even some 5-2 fronts. If we had our personnel in a 5-2 imagine the terror of trying to pass block. Suh would be over center, Haynesworth would be over Left Guard, and Orakpo/Carter over LT. The other team would be hard pressed to double team more than one of them.

Fantasies aside, even if he were still on the board we have things that we NEED to draft even if drafting for need isnt a good strategy.

All I have to say to people who dont think we need to draft OL...D'Anthony Batiste.

Suh may go first overall and at the very least in the top 3. If he falls to us he will be the top player on the board when we pick and we'd definitely choose him. He's in the conversation as one of the best DT's the college game has ever seen and if you get a chance to take a guy that seems destined to turn into an all-pro player for years to come you take him.

That said, the draft isn't held this weekend. A lot could change in the next few months.

DL Griffin, Haynesworth, and Suh. Depth would be Jarmon and Daniels (all large enough to play in a 3-4.

LB: Carter, Rocky, Fletcher, and Orakpo

Drafting Suh would certainly give us the players to convert to a 3-4. We have several players large enough for that system and enough light weight DE's currently to fill the line backer roles. Rak and Carter are both a great size for OLB in a 3-4 which works best with lighter DE type players.

I'd still prefer an OL but the OP's premise is viable.

We'd have to trade Carter, who is neither a DE nor an OLB in the 3-4.

We'd need a new defensive coordinator as well.

Can Rocky play the interior LB position? Think that kinda wastes his ability to shed blocks. If we could sign, say Demeco Ryans from Houston it could work.

Archived