Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gun laws are getting looser across much of US

Hunter44

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – It's been the year of the gun in Tennessee. In a flurry of legislative action, handgun owners won the right to take their weapons onto sports fields and playgrounds and, at least briefly, into bars.

A change in leadership at the state Capitol helped open the doors to the gun-related bills and put Tennessee at the forefront of a largely unnoticed trend: In much of the country, it is getting easier to carry guns.

A nationwide review by The Associated Press found that over the last two years, 24 states, mostly in the South and West, have passed 47 new laws loosening gun restrictions.

Among other things, legislatures have allowed firearms to be carried in cars, made it illegal to ask job candidates whether they own a gun, and expanded agreements that make permits to carry handguns in one state valid in another.

:applause:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091211/ap_on_bi_ge/us_looser_gun_laws

No, they're dumber because the state has allowed them to take guns places that don't need guns.

Why? Criminals don't bring guns to places that they don't need to be?? :silly:

The way I see it is that if you have a license to carry it should be anywhere. Criminals don't take a vacation. :doh:

That said, we have some retarded states that allow children to hunt unsupervised...I mean like 6 yr old kids allowed to be out in the woods with a loaded rifle...:doh: read it here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31952727/ns/us_news-life/ I think I'm going to start a seperate thread. :D

SO you mean all the ninnying about them dang Lib'ruls comin to take our guns was just a bunch of hot air?

Imagine that.

~Bang

All that talk caused a huge run on guns and ammo...the industry loves a Dem controlled congress and President so they can scare monger huge profits. :D

All that talk caused a huge run on guns and ammo...the industry loves a Dem controlled congress and President so they can scare monger huge profits. :D

I know,, I find it funny that the usual big hot button things like "Dems comin to get our guns! Reps coming to outlaw abortions!" never seems to happen, yet it never fails to be used to get everyone riled up.

~Bang

I think they should put a lot more stricter and rigorous process to apply for permit to carry a firearm.

All guns should be government owned, and only be distributed to buyer by the government, but the maker of the gun will get the cut of the profits from the gun.

This why it is government controlled but still a capitalistic venture, and it will please both liberals and conservatives.

I think they should put a lot more stricter and rigorous process to apply for permit to carry a firearm.

All guns should be government owned, and only be distributed to buyer by the government, but the maker of the gun will get the cut of the profits from the gun.

This why it is government controlled but still a capitalistic venture, and it will please both liberals and conservatives.

criminals don't care about laws.

if they want a gun, they'll get a gun.

Your idea is only going to keep honest people... well, as honest as they already were.

I'm not really afraid of criminals, even as a law abiding citizen, I fear the law more, because there are so many on the books that I might not know. Not kidding at all!

Originally Posted by MVille_Skins

As a conservative, this would not please me at all.

:hysterical:

winner of the most idiotic idea ever proposed

It's always been legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle in New Mexico. Gun laws have gotten more strict here without doubt. Though they're still pretty loose. When I travel (by car) I figure out what the laws are in all the states I'm driving through to make sure I'm legal. Most western states are the same in that regard. If you get stopped you immediately tell the officer you have a weapon just to keep things from getting ugly.

I think it's misrepresented as a right/left issue. It may be that way in large urban areas but it's not in the rest of the country. I'm definitely left of center and I'd have a bug problem with any politician that had a platform that lessened my rights.

You are a member of the real left rather than the newer "give the Feds any and all power they want" left.

Yours is the left that I still respect.

I like EJ Dionne's idea:

Isn't it time to dismantle the metal detectors, send the guards at the doors away and allow Americans to exercise their Second Amendment rights by being free to carry their firearms into the nation's Capitol?

Congress seems to think that gun restrictions are for wimps. It voted this year to allow people to bring their weapons into national parks, and pro-gun legislators have pushed for the right to carry in taverns, colleges and workplaces. Shouldn't Congress set an example in its own workplace?

So why not let Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) pack the weapon of his choice on the Senate floor? Thune is the author of an amendment that would have allowed gun owners who had valid permits to carry concealed weapons into any state, even states with more restrictive gun laws. The amendment got 58 votes last week, two short of the 60 it needed to pass.

Judging by what Thune said in defense of his amendment, he'd clearly feel safer if everyone in the Capitol could carry a gun.

"Law-abiding individuals have the right to self-defense, especially because the Supreme Court has consistently found that police have no constitutional obligation to protect individuals from other individuals," he said. I guess that Thune doesn't think those guards and the Capitol Police have any obligation to protect him.

He went on: "The benefits of conceal and carry extend to more than just the individuals who actually carry the firearms. Since criminals are unable to tell who is and who is not carrying a firearm just by looking at a potential victim, they are less likely to commit a crime when they fear they may come in direct contact with an individual who is armed."

In other words, keeping guns out of the Capitol makes all our elected officials far less safe. If just a few senators had weapons, the criminals wouldn't know which ones were armed, and all senators would be safer, right? Isn't that better than highly intrusive gun control -- i.e., keeping people with guns out of the Capitol in the first place?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/26/AR2009072602189.html

If just a few senators had weapons, the criminals wouldn't know which ones were armed, and all senators would be safer, right? Isn't that better than highly intrusive gun control -- i.e., keeping people with guns out of the Capitol in the first place?

I think you will find there are a number that do carry in the capitol.

And not just rightwingers...laws are for the little people

:rotflmao:

Archived