Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cerrato explains Suisham release D.C Sports Blog

DMVSkins

I don't agree. If the ball isn't there in the right spot or at the right time, your chances are reduced significantly.

Now, let's not **** around here - I think Suisham was not a good kicker. I'm just saying from LS experience that there are three members of that sub-team (LS, Holder, K) and each has to execute correctly to have the best chance of success.

A football is oblong, not round. It really matters how it's placed. Also, kicking is about timing. If the ball gets spotted late, it can make the K hitch.

I clearly saw a bad snap. Go have a look. I'm less sure about the hold, but it looked bad to me. Even if it wasn't bad, the fact that Albright sent the ball back high and to the right likely caused a delay in placement which could have screwed Suisham up.

That said, I think his release is good for the team. I just question the timing. I think he's a convenient scapegoat.

The snap was bad, the hold was fine. That's all.

What amazes me more is how a fan can excuse crappy play from a kicker just to make an excuse to rag on the GM :doh: Vinny sucks, I agree with that. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't do what's in the teams best interest. In the last three weeks misses by that kicker cost us games. Why in the hell should we want to keep a guy who was the worst player in the league last season as our kicker when he does that?

because the kicker is not the only problem.

Cutting the kicker is like putting the band aid over the cancer -- just a marketing move to garner interest.

Yes Suisham should have made that FG, but Landry should not have gotten burned on the same route 3 times. Everyone should be accountable, not just the damn kicker.

What about all your misses you bug-eyed waste of space?! God I hate this man!!

C'mon man, can't you just address the merit of the actual article/interview?

By your logic, Cerrato can't release players nor criticize anyone because he is bad at his job and has large eyes.

There was nothing Cerrato said in this interview that wasn't echoed by the vast majority of this board.

There are reasons to dislike Cerrato, this is not one of them. Don't be so disingenuous.

Cutting the kicker is like putting the band aid over the cancer -- just a marketing move to garner interest.

Yes Suisham should have made that FG, but Landry should not have gotten burned on the same route 3 times. Everyone should be accountable, not just the damn kicker.

In the interview, Cerrato said he approached coaches about Suisham's return next year, and they said no, he likely would not be back. This season is already over, so why not get a head start on finding a new kicker? We get to test them in in-game situations too, better than practice and tryouts.

I completely agree with this decision.

Yes, football is a team game. However, kickers are usually on an island, alone, with the snapper, holder and themselves.

Sure, the line matters, but most NFL lines are able to protect long enough to stop penetration. It's usually taken for granted at that level (until someone squeeks through, anyways).

When a kicker misses a 23-yard field goal, when that is their only job, and it's not their first offense... It probably means it's time to go. Like it or not, kicker is a different position in the NFL.

Now, all of that said, Suisham didn't lose the game single handedly... But he could have won it and he failed to do so with a very short kick.

This is BS.

Suisham didn't give up long TD passes. Suisham didn't throw an INT late in the game. One player doesn't win or lose a game and to try to put it all on a single player is classless.

I could not agree with you more.

It's disgusting we have that kind of mentality here....if Shaun is not your kicker fine, just cut him after this horrible season and work out new guys.

It's disgusting we have that kind of mentality here....if Shaun is not your kicker fine, just cut him after this horrible season and work out new guys.

Completely disagree. If he's not our kicker, bring in people who COULD be our kicker next year. When your coaches say the guy probably won't be kicking for the team next year, it's time to move on. But it shouldn't have taken a miss to do so.

And the fact remains, money plays a role in how easily someone is cut. Suisham costs nothing to cut, Landry costs a bit more. It's not a clear cut thing. Just because a free safety gets beat doesn't make them cuttable, especially if they'll probably start for you the next season. Suisham, for all intents and purposes, wasn't going to be with us next year... According to the coaching staff (that won't be with us next year :P)

What about all your misses you bug-eyed waste of space?! God I hate this man!!

LOL u called him "bug-eyed waste of space"

im waiting for misterim and newcliche to come in here and burn u in hell for calling somebody a name. a mean one at that. ... oh wait, they wont because it isnt jason candle. LOL

My goodness people.. Your missing the point!

Do you know what this statement means????? " We should bring in someone who's going to be kicking for us next year"

He's going to be back next year!!!

:chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair:

I've said for weeks now here that I saw Vinny coming back and nothing has made me feel otherwise. Not that I agree with that but I'd bet that Vinny is still on the payroll in some capacity next year without reading this. If Snyder wanted him gone he would have already been sent packing. Teams fire GM's midseason all the time, and since there has been no pressure on Vinny publicly like there has been with Zorn he's staying put.

Sigh @ name-calling.

I'm confused -- did you make a post of sighing because I called Shaun Suisham "Shazam," or because I labeled Vinny "Vincenzo."

Because Fred Smoot came up with Shazam, so I can't really be faulted there.

If it's about Vinny, well he's been called a lot worse.

The guy is still bragging about the National Championship ring he "won" while working as Lou Holtz's bag-man, and he's playing a role in destroying a franchise and legacy I care about.

So I could justifiably call him a lot worse than Vincenzo, but I won't, because I think it's a funny name.

I'm confused -- did you make a post of sighing because I called Shaun Suisham "Shazam," or because I labeled Vinny "Vincenzo."

Because Fred Smoot came up with Shazam, so I can't really be faulted there.

If it's about Vinny, well he's been called a lot worse.

that guy thinks you are immoral if you start name calling. he thinks u are a bad person i tell ya.

The guy is still bragging about the National Championship ring he "won" while working as Lou Holtz's bag-man, and he's playing a role in destroying a franchise and legacy I care about.

nicely said

I don't pretend to think the only problem on the team is the kicker. I don't get the idea that some how Vinny is saying that or that the kicker is being made a scapegoat for the year. What the kicker did in the last three weeks is unacceptable. We are a losing team with a bad record playing on the road against our most hated rival and we hold them to 7 points. We try 4 FG's and only make 2 of them, the final score is Dallas 7, Redskins 6. If he makes one of those misses we win that game. The next week the kicker makes the one FG try he had. Week three the most impressive offense comes into our town. Experts have them beating us by 2 TD's, but our team plays well enough to present the situation of going up by 10 points with under 2 minutes to play in the game as long as the kicker makes the easy FG. He chokes and we lose the game. If he makes the kick he's forgiven for the misses in Dallas. If he chokes there he's a constant reminder all year of the two games he could have won for us and choked. He was cut for that and such is the life of an NFL kicker. I don't have a problem with it. I expect results from our kicker. I expect him to make more game winning FG's like those then miss. If he can't get it done and nothing says to me he can, then replace him.

In both of those games where he missed those kicks I don't blame anyone else for the loss. Who could you? The defense held Dallas to 7 points, the defense held the Saints to a low enough total for us to win. We aren't talking about the Chiefs or the Rams, the Saints have a serious offense. They can score on anyone. The week before they beat the Pats defense to shreds. The emphasis you want from your defense is to not give up too many points and allow your offense to score more then you give up. The Defense did that. The offense played its best game of the year that day against the Saints and I don't blame them either. The one person you could blame is Sellers I guess. I've never been a big fan of his and don't believe he's as good as advertised. He let the team down for sure. Cutting Sellers is also a move I wouldn't have a problem with.

I disagree. If you think that Sean couldn't be replaced then I can see why you would think that. If you do then don't forget he was rated the worst kicker in the league last year, meaning 31 other kickers were better. This move might have been a bone to throw out to the players and let them know that the front office thinks they played great and don't blame them. It could have also been a message to the team that if you do not produce you do not stay on the team. But that's pure speculation. Either way I think it was the right move to make

I completely agree with you on this point and would never say that only the kicker is accountable. No freaking way that's what I think. Landry is not playing up to snuff and should be benched. He has enough talent to sit for a while so the coaches can figure out why he keeps doing that and not be cut. We have too much invested in Landry to just cut him. He is raw and needs coaching. Kickers I might seem to be a little harder on because all they have to do is kick the freaking ball. They've been doing that all of their lives, just make the stupid kick and everyone loves you. If you miss regularly then your going to be replaced. That's life

So why not get a jump on your competition? We aren't the only team to have kicking issues. Other teams are going to bring in kickers to compete or win a starting job in the off season too. Teams still playing could be looking for a kicker after this next game because theirs gets hurt. I don't see why you let Shaun stay another game. Personally I wanted him cut after we lost to Dallas. In my mind he's always going to remind me that we should have beaten the pukes in the first game at the new stadium if he makes those kicks. That's history to me and now a bad memory because he could only go 2 for 4 when it mattered the most. Had he made those kicks I would love the guy always because that's the fan I am. After he missed them though I was done with him

Its all about your protecting your ass. It is easy to blame some free agent kicker for the loss. But obviously you can't blame a 1st round pick because you and Richie Rich were the ones that wanted him on the team.

Anybody that thinks that Suisham is the realy they lost the Saints game is a fool. It was the waste of a 1st round pick who is constantly 10 to 15 yards behind the fastest receiver on the opposing team that caused the lost.

Hell I would blame Mike Sellers more than Suisham. It was his debatable fumble that caused a loss more than missing a Fg to take a 10 point lead.

Archived