Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cerrato explains Suisham release D.C Sports Blog

DMVSkins

In his first public comments since Shaun Suisham was released this week, Vinny Cerrato explained Friday morning that keeping the kicker on the team wouldn't have been fair to his teammates after Suisham missed the short fourth-quarter field goal against the Saints.

"To me, the players fought their butts off the whole game," Cerrato said on his ESPN 980 radio show. "I mean, we're up 10, then the Saints come back, then we score again. I mean, offensively, they couldn't stop us. We had 460 yards or whatever. And we'll talk about all the guys that stepped up and did well, and I thought Sherm Lewis called an outstanding game. I mean, we punted I think one time.

"But we took it down all the way to the two-minute warning, down to the 3-yard line or whatever, ran the ball to set up to kick the field goal. [if you make the field goal], you're up 10 with probably 1:50 to go after the kickoff, so if they take it down to score, they've still got to recover the onside kick and then score again. So my feeling was, after he misses the kick, it wasn't fair to the rest of the team to keep him on the team. Because this was a reoccurring thing. The Dallas game, he missed a 39-yarder. And I remember in the playoff game in Seattle he missed a short field goal. So there's some critical field goals that he missed.

"And then my question to the coaches and everything, is he the kicker for next year? No, probably not. So all right, let's let him go and let's try some guys and see if we find a guy who's gonna be consistent and make the kicks that he's supposed to make. That's all. You can understand if it was a 50-yarder, but a 23-yarder? Make the ones you're supposed to make. It's a PAT, game's over, everybody's excited and we've got a big win, and it would have been the Saints' first loss. So it's an inexcusable miss, in my opinion, and it just was a thing that had to happen."

So lets play a game. Lets just remove a few words - kicker, kicks, etc and replace them with GM and picks.

"So my feeling was, after he misses the draft pick, it wasn't fair to the rest of the team to keep him on the team. Because this was a reoccurring thing. So there's some critical draft picks that he missed.

"So all right, let's let him go and let's try and find a GM and see if we find a guy who's gonna be consistent and make the picks that he's supposed to make. That's all. You can understand if it was the Raiders, but the Redskins? So it's an inexcusable way to run a team, in my opinion, and it just was a thing that had to happen."

So lets play a game. Lets just remove a few words - kicker, kicks, etc and replace them with GM and picks.

"So my feeling was, after he misses the draft pick, it wasn't fair to the rest of the team to keep him on the team. Because this was a reoccurring thing. So there's some critical draft picks that he missed.

"So all right, let's let him go and let's try and find a GM and see if we find a guy who's gonna be consistent and make the picks that he's supposed to make. That's all. You can understand if it was the Raiders, but the Redskins? So it's an inexcusable way to run a team, in my opinion, and it just was a thing that had to happen."

That is awesome, wow its a perfect fit.

Amazing how this team's mouthpiece (Cerrato) blames the loss on one player when this is a TEAM sport. Has Vinny ever played a down of football in his life?

How about cutting Landry for all the blown coverage last week...

What about Kareem Moore? He gave up a TD...

I hate this man, I hate this FO.

Very nice and creative but that doesn't mean that the kicker shouldn't have been fired. After the Dallas loss I wanted to fire the bum then and knew if we didn't it would come back to haunt us. Kickers are a dime a dozen and we had a crappy one that's lost us 2 games this year. Enough with the excuses, make the kicks you are supposed to (under 40 yards) and you have a job. Miss an XP and your out the door. He won't be missed

Amazing how this team's mouthpiece (Cerrato) blames the loss on one player when this is a TEAM sport.

What amazes me more is how a fan can excuse crappy play from a kicker just to make an excuse to rag on the GM :doh: Vinny sucks, I agree with that. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't do what's in the teams best interest. In the last three weeks misses by that kicker cost us games. Why in the hell should we want to keep a guy who was the worst player in the league last season as our kicker when he does that?

What amazes me more is how a fan can excuse crappy play from a kicker just to make an excuse to rag on the GM :doh: Vinny sucks, I agree with that. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't do what's in the teams best interest. In the last three weeks misses by that kicker cost us games. Why in the hell should we want to keep a guy who was the worst player in the league last season as our kicker when he does that?

YES!

This goes back to giving credit where it's due: Vinny sucks, but he was right here. He could've defended HIS signing of Suisham or at least HIS retention of him past 2007's playoff game, but he didn't. He did the right thing and he fired him.

Sure shaun missed a chip shot but what about our defense? Is it not fair to our offense that the defense continues to give up big plays?
VC said we ran the ball to set up the FG, BS on that.

We should have gone for a TD, and if we had to kick it, we needed to move the ball between the hash marks so idiot didn't miss it right

This isn't about the offense or defense. This is about Suisham.

"And then my question to the coaches and everything, is he the kicker for next year? No, probably not. So all right, let's let him go and let's try some guys and see if we find a guy who's gonna be consistent and make the kicks that he's supposed to make."

Oh really Vincenzo?

Is that how it works?

Because "Shazam" has been on our team for THREE freaking years!

Why didn't you bother to "try some guys" after any of his miserable performances since 2006?

VC said we ran the ball to set up the FG, BS on that.

We should have gone for a TD, and if we had to kick it, we needed to move the ball between the hash marks so idiot didn't miss it right

And if we didn't get a TD (Not a certainty since three other drives ended with field goals), it left a good chance that Brees could have come back on us anyways. Then we'd be complaining that we didn't run enough time off the clock.

I don't have a problem with his reasons for releasing Suisham. It was going to be tough to have him around when he blew a couple of game winning field goals. It is unfortunate, but that's the way it is in the NFL.

Why didn't you bother to "try some guys" after any of his miserable performances since 2006?

Well, untill last year, Gibbs was in charge of the FO. After last year, Vinny did bring in competition, tho it was pretty clear that the coaching staff still liked Suisham despite his struggles. The two misses were probably the last straw for Vinny.

Let me get this straight Bug Eyes.

You hold Suisham accountable for missing a kick that would have upped the score to 10, but not hold the defense nor the safety responsible for allowing the tying touchdown?

Is that your logic?

So your logic is that it's expected and okay for the defense to fold like a cheap suit on that last drive? It's the kicker's fault for not making the score out of reach but not the defense's fault for allowing such an easy touchdown.

Also using the same logic, if you decide to cherry pick only certain misses by the kicker, why are you not cherry picking the fact that Mike Sellers now has two pretty big fumbles in his limited number of chances to handle the ball. Or how about his whiff that cost us 2pts in Carolina? See where I'm going Bug Eyes?

Lastly, the kicker who missed those "important" kicks actually is perfect on kicks that win us the game or tie the game late in the 4th and in OT. So once again I'm not sure what you're talking about Bug Eyes.

But I guess with this "playoff roster" you've put together it's right to blame everything on the kicker.:doh:

Archived