Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Daily News: Dan Snyder should have hired former Giants coach Jim Fassel

Jeffro

"You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the **** on." -Tupac Shakur

right on!

My point exactly. And let's not forget that Fassel's last Giants team just out-right quit on him.

That's an NFL "urban" myth...Fassel's team did NOT quit on him. I spent most of january of 2008 digging up all kinds of articles proving that old wive's tale to be 100% false, so won't do it here again.

Say want you want about Zorn as a X's and O's guy. No one can deny that he has kept his team of back-ups figthing their guts out! JJG would be proud at the effort.

I agree that Zorn and his staff have done a rather impressive job of getting the 2nd and 3rd stringers to play at a higher level than expected and keeping the starters playing hard...he deserves recognition for that, definitely :yes:...

It has been reported time and time again that Fassel like Greg Williams, Joe Gibbs and several other coaches all said that they would want to go after another QB and Snyder and Vinny wanted to make it work with Simple Jason

I subscribe to everything, ESPN insider, scout, Warpath, I read the Breaking News section here religiously. Listen to 980 a lot. Yeah its possible that I miss all those alleged hits on JC that took place back then. Seems odd though, that no one can ever dig those stories up.

The most I remember is SPECULATION that Gibbs would have an open competition. No quotes about it. And as for Fassel, I hated the idea at the time of him being the coach, and was reading everything I could get my hands on at the time, don't recall one mention of JC in that context.

If that stuff is really out there, with all the JC detractors on the board, I would assume someone could find it. If someone finds it, it will get my attention, and I don't mean that sarcastically.

One could also make the case that Fassel may have been the better choice in 2004 as well. Of course extremely few were going to argue with bringing back Gibbs, but one drawback was that Gibbs was already 62 and you figured Joe was probably only going to stay for the length of his contract. As it turns out, Gibbs' results were mixed (two runs to the playoffs and two crappy seasons) and as evidenced by what we've done since under Zorn, didn't have a big effect on the future direction of this team.

Your comment might actually be relevent if we weren't the only team in the NFL with a coach that only does press confrences and A to Zorn commercials on NFL Network.

Being a coach in the NFL with no duties > Current coach of the UFL who's been to a SB and had NFL HCing experience for 5 years? I don't think so.

There were better coaches than Jim Fassel out there. For instance, the guy who already worked for us.

All the crybabies out there ****ing about Jim Zorn need to shut up. You're just as bad as Dan Snyder if you think this is all Zorn's fault. I can't believe you expected so much so quickly from a guy who had never even been an offensive coordinator.

At the time, I was anti-Fassel and I'm still not sure he'd have been the best choice. Though, I have to admit that he'd probably have run a more organized, professional team than Zorn has. He would have been the safer pick for sure.

Although, I agree with Longshot...just the amount of whining and complaining coming from him since early 2008 has really made me kind of glad he wasn't hired.

Although, I agree with Longshot...just the amount of whining and complaining coming from him since early 2008 has really made me kind of glad he wasn't hired.

We don't have enough insight into the reasoning behind Fassel's complaining. What if he thought he had a deal with Snyder to be the Skins coach and then Snyder pulled the rug out from under him for dubious reasons? Again, we just don't know.

We don't have enough insight into the reasoning behind Fassel's complaining. What if he thought he had a deal with Snyder to be the Skins coach and then Snyder pulled the rug out from under him for dubious reasons? Again, we just don't know.

If that happened, it's perfectly fine for him to feel wronged. I just don't like the public complaining about it.

According to Chris Mortensen he wrote a letter to Al Davis practially begging for a chance to be interviewed for the Raiders job.

I'm really not sure how things would've gone with him as the coach...but there's a large part of me that is just as happy he isn't the coach here.

then we could be screaming for his head instead of Zorns lol

Zorn would have been OC... then Fassel would have taken play-calling duties from him just like he did with Saen Payton the year the Giants went to the Super Bowl and lost to the Ravens... Then zorn would have gone on a coached somewhere else and if he had gotten his Drew Brees, he'd be 11-0 right now... I'm just sayin'

that's some tangent.

One could also make the case that Fassel may have been the better choice in 2004 as well. Of course extremely few were going to argue with bringing back Gibbs, but one drawback was that Gibbs was already 62 and you figured Joe was probably only going to stay for the length of his contract. As it turns out, Gibbs' results were mixed (two runs to the playoffs and two crappy seasons) and as evidenced by what we've done since under Zorn, didn't have a big effect on the future direction of this team.

That's where I disagree. By no means whatsoever am I saying Fassel would have been a better hire than bringing Gibbs back, but the decisions and personnel moves that Joe made while he was here had a long term negative effect on this team that are being paid for now. All of the draft picks given up for crap in return, draft picks that didn't pan out, free agents, etc. are among the reasons that this team is in the state it's in now.

Zorn would have been OC... then Fassel would have taken play-calling duties from him just like he did with Saen Payton the year the Giants went to the Super Bowl and lost to the Ravens... Then zorn would have gone on a coached somewhere else and if he had gotten his Drew Brees, he'd be 11-0 right now... I'm just sayin'

that's some tangent.

LoL!! :applause:

Jim Fassel is a very good coach, and yes, he was more qualified than Jim Zorn to be the Redskins head coach. But so was Gregg Williams. Gregg Williams actually should have been the Redskins head coach. In 28 games well into his Redskins head coaching tenure, Williams would have won far more than 11 games as Zorn has done.

Archived