Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Daily News: Dan Snyder should have hired former Giants coach Jim Fassel

Jeffro

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/10/24/2009-10-24_snyder_should_have_hired_fassel.html

Jim Fassel is in Casa Grande, Ariz., where his Las Vegas Locomotives of the brand-new United Football League prepare for each game. Six seasons after he was fired by the Giants, he is finally a head coach again.

He was a finalist for the Redskins job in 2004 and might have gotten it had Daniel Snyder not been able to talk Joe Gibbs out of retirement. And he was the leader for much of the process in Washington again last year after Gibbs retired following four seasons of act two of his Redskins career. But Snyder, in a big surprise, decided to promote newly hired Jim Zorn from offensive coordinator to head coach rather than Fassel.

Snyder should have hired Fassel.

After making a mess from the time he bought the team in 1999 until he brought back Gibbs in 2004, Snyder is back to his old stuff. This is one of the real low points in Redskins history. They are just 2-4 with an easy schedule, and Snyder has now stripped Zorn of his playcalling duties and given them to 67-year-old Sherm Lewis, who before he was hired as a consultant a few weeks ago was calling Bingo games at a senior center in Michigan.

Is this any way to buy the Super Bowl?

Fassel is not Bill Parcells, but the Redskins would not be the complete mess thay are today if Snyder hired Fassel last year. And Fassel can't help but think he could have kept the momentum going after Gibbs made the playoffs for the second time in his encore.

"Everybody feels they could have done the job," Fassel said. "I could go in and take a franchise and win. When I took over the Giants, we were the No. 32 ranked team in the preseason polls. We were the only team in the NFL that was picked unanimously to finish last in our division. We won the division and four years later we were in the Super Bowl. I have done it, so I do have confidence."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/10/24/2009-10-24_snyder_should_have_hired_fassel.html#ixzz0ZOaMNsM3

This is what bugs be the most about this whole fiasco we're in, I thought Fassel was the right pick back when we was all but a lock for the job but the wonderful Redskins nation ran him off.. Now look where we are.. Hindsight being 20/20.. He clearly was the right pick imo.

"You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the **** on." -Tupac Shakur

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/10/24/2009-10-24_snyder_should_have_hired_fassel.html

This is what bugs be the most about this whole fiasco we're in, I thought Fassel was the right pick back when we was all but a lock for the job but the wonderful Redskins nation ran him off.. Now look where we are.. Hindsight being 20/20.. He clearly was the right pick imo.

This may seem hard to fathom by most people on this board, but I agree. Having been practically forced to observe Fassel and his Giants due to living in NY the past 15 years, there was never any doubt in my mind that he's an above-average coach.

The anti-Fassel uproar that flamed up on this board seemed like a kneejerk reaction to me. And if it ended up pushing Dan to get Zorn, then I guess it's a proverbial case of "Be careful what you wish for."

Coulda, woulda, shoulda....

We should have tried to trade up in the 1998 draft to get Peyton Manning.....

We should have drafted Tom Brady in the 2000 draft. Instead, among others, we picked a CB named Lloyd Harrison.

It's easy to make the right calls when looking in the rear view mirror. Even then, nothing says that Fossil would have done squat if he would have been picked as the HC. This is a NY sportswriter who is waxing nostalgic about Jim Fossil and figured he could give the Skins a little grief. Nothing more.

He was "clearly the right pick" because he says he was??!?

That's some quality logic there

No, he's clearly the right pick because Zorn's nothing more than a placebo on the team right now. Do you honestly because that Fassel, a seasoned coach who took a team to the SB would be in the same position as Zorn right now? Think about that question logically...

And ask yourself if you think our record would be the same? Logically..

Then ask yourself if our current play caller can come out and improve this team from a press box like he did what would a seasoned coach on the sidelines be able to do..

How's that for quality logic?

Ummm Fassel is coaching in the UFL. Not the NFL. Case closed!

Your comment might actually be relevent if we weren't the only team in the NFL with a coach that only does press confrences and A to Zorn commercials on NFL Network.

Being a coach in the NFL with no duties > Current coach of the UFL who's been to a SB and had NFL HCing experience for 5 years? I don't think so.

No, he's clearly the right pick because Zorn's nothing more than a placebo on the team right now. Do you honestly because that Fassel, a seasoned coach who took a team to the SB would be in the same position as Zorn right now? Think about that question logically...

Then ask yourself if our current play caller can come out and improve this team from a press box like he did what would a seasoned coach on the sidelines be able to do..

Hay, Fassel might have worked out, but you have to admit it is a tiny bit self-serving on his part to be saying so this way.

And I doubt that things would have been much different, you would still have Directmail Danny playing NFL Action Figures! with the franchise. There's the sad logic and truth of it all, as long as he is calling the shots, we're scrood.

You know the Redskins have really hit rock bottom when we have fans longing for Fassel as HC. :)

Hay, Fassel might have worked out, but you have to admit it is a tiny bit self-serving on his part to be saying so this way.

And I doubt that things would have been much different, you would still have Directmail Danny playing NFL Action Figures! with the franchise. There's the sad logic and truth of it all, as long as he is calling the shots, we're scrood.

I agree with you that it comes off as self-serving but I'm sure he's bitter about being led on by Danny and his puppet. And I don't mind a coach being a bit confident if he's delivering results. Our coach is insanely confident in perception but delivers jack squat.

You know the Redskins have really hit rock bottom when we have fans longing for Fassel as HC. :)

Don't confuse my point with "longing".. I'm just saying he was the better pick than Zorn. I thought that then, and still think that. I think he would have done a better job than Zorn, would I take Fassel over Cowher, Shannahan etc? No.. I don't think he is the best canadate I just think we were dumb for passing on Fassel vs promoting a QB coach to HC.

Notice it's always the one's who break out the shoulda, woulda quotes that complained about Fassel as the HC.

Not true. Here's the only opinion I can find that I posted on Fassel when the news broke. It's pretty simple and not a complaint at all:

I have no problem with Fassel. Just support him and hope it works out.

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?p=4792607#post4792607

Maybe find something to base your blanket statements on?

The right choice would've been GW, not Fassel.

Yes, with Grimm a close second IMHO.

Fassel would have changed nothing because the problem is the owner and GM. GW knew that and requested certain control to protect himself from Vinny.

Coach Shot said it best on the air the other day about the problem being Vinny and his relationship with the owner.

I'm not saying Zorn was a better pick than Fassel but there has to be a reason this guy hasn't gotten so much as a sniff by another NFL team. No team is even interested in hiring him as a coordinator but I guess that goes for Zorn too. The person we need is Russ Grimm a coach that can lay down the damn law.

I'm not saying Zorn was a better pick than Fassel but there has to be a reason this guy hasn't gotten so much as a sniff by another NFL team. No team is even interested in hiring him as a coordinator ...

My point exactly. And let's not forget that Fassel's last Giants team just out-right quit on him. Say want you want about Zorn as a X's and O's guy. No one can deny that he has kept his team of back-ups figthing their guts out! JJG would be proud at the effort.

It would have been an upgrade over Zorn. Hell, if Fassel really advised Vinny and Danny to take Zorn as OC, and Blanche at least provides continuity in type of D, this arrangement should've worked a lot better than the rigmarole we have now.

Seconding the "We shoulda kept Williams and Saunders" posts.

Did the Williams non-hiring really come down to Saunders vs. who starts at QB?

GW and Saunder aside, Zorn was already the OC. With Fassel we would have had had a guy that took the Giants to the SB once alongside the guy who never called a play before in his life in the NFL.

We would not have had Sherm Smith or Chris Meidt. Addition by subtraction in those cases.

It would have been an upgrade over Zorn. Hell, if Fassel really advised Vinny and Danny to take Zorn as OC, and Blanche at least provides continuity in type of D, this arrangement should've worked a lot better than the rigmarole we have now.

Seconding the "We shoulda kept Williams and Saunders" posts.

Did the Williams non-hiring really come down to Saunders vs. who starts at QB?

Zorn and Blache were already in place. Fassel was about to be named head coach, but there was a huge outrage over it. They went with Zorn to appease the angry masses.

Williams non-hiring came down to his relationship with Vinny, the QB was a part of that larger problem.

Archived