Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cosell's Coaching Tape

bobisimo

He hasn't touched on the Redskins' offense in a few weeks, but he made some comments tonight in regard to the Saints game so I thought it was worth sharing. (I edited out the Saints-specific comments.) He's pretty critical of Campbell and even has a critical comment about Thomas...

REDSKINS OFFENSE V. SAINTS DEFENSE

• Redskins clearly went after Jenkins on their first series, and they had success with a 32 yd PI penalty and a 10 yd pass to Thomas on 3rd + 7 from the slot
  • Campbell very robotic and mechanical in his reads and throws, Does not recognize and react to coverage on his drop, Strong tendency to throw the ball where the play is designed to go
  • Campbell not a move and re-set QB, That’s when he breaks down and struggles
  • Thomas did not show the kind of vertical explosiveness that matches his fast 40 yard dash time; At this point, he does not play fast
  • Redskins do not really have any consistent intermediate passing game, In fact I rarely see those kinds of throws
  • Saints did not generate any consistent pressure on Campbell, Occasionally they got bodies around him but they never really hit him
  • Randle-El 44 yds on 3rd + 11 was definitely a coverage breakdown by the Saints defense; Randle-El ran down the middle seam with no one accounting for him
  • This was not a good performance by the Saints defense
  • When Randle-El got hurt on the final play of the third quarter, Moss moved into the slot in the Redskins 3 WR packages
  • Campbell panicked in the pocket on his fourth quarter interception with :35 left, He lost his pocket poise and composure
  • Saints had coverage breakdowns in the secondary on a couple of the Redskins big pass plays
  • Despite his impressive numbers, Campbell did not really look that impressive on film; He’s not really a comfortable QB with a refined sense of reading and timing

I think thats what we already knew about Campbell. He is decent. He functions within a plan, and that plan had better work because he generally doesn't do very well when things break down. Everyone has said these things all year- he stares the #1 read down and usually throws it where the play is designed to go rather than quickly scanning the defense and maybe exploiting a breakdown on a 2nd read ala the Moss double move in the Philly MNF game where he just completely missed the fact that he was wide open for an easy TD.

Campbell doesn't reset and make smart throws consistently when pressured, though IMO he has done a much better job of this lately, especially in the Dallas game. When Campbell threw that pick in the 4th quarter I knew it was out of panic, and he missed an open man to his left if I'm not mistaken. He missed an open man underneath in the middle of the field on the Sellers fumble in OT too.

He's playing better, he is a decent QB, he is rarely something more and sometimes is something less.

The funny thing is Campbell will be cut this offseason, he will have one or two teams interested in him, he will sign with a team with the promise of competing for the starting job and will probably be cut by the end of training camp, never to be heard from again.

The funny thing is Campbell will be cut this offseason, he will have one or two teams interested in him, he will sign with a team with the promise of competing for the starting job and will probably be cut by the end of training camp, never to be heard from again.

I wouldn't be surprised if it went more like Patrick Ramsey, hanging on for a few years but only playing a few more games.

Oh man! I'm so sorry I forgot the link. It's from fantasyguru.com and Greg Cosell works for NFL Films.

The Redskins O, Saints D: http://www.fantasyguru.com/StaffBlog/2009/12/11/cosells-coaching-tape-week-thirteen-121009-notes/

The Redskins D, Saints O: http://www.fantasyguru.com/StaffBlog/2009/12/07/cosells-coaching-tape-week-thirteen-12709-notes/

Oh man! I'm so sorry I forgot the link. It's from fantasyguru.com and Greg Cosell works for NFL Films.

The Redskins O, Saints D: http://www.fantasyguru.com/StaffBlog/2009/12/11/cosells-coaching-tape-week-thirteen-121009-notes/

The Redskins D, Saints O: http://www.fantasyguru.com/StaffBlog/2009/12/07/cosells-coaching-tape-week-thirteen-12709-notes/

He's also the executive producer of NFL Matchup.

Who is this rube?

he sure doesn't know football

did he even watch the game? :hysterical: He is just parroting old criticisms of JC, that wasn't accurate before and completely WRONG against the Saints.

If he was offering glowing praise, you would be touting him as the foremost expert in the field.

Fantasy Football :rolleyes:

enuff' said :doh:

bubba,

While is analysis on this is harsh to the point of sounding biased, Cosel is very adept at breaking down film and is not a fantasy football guy. He appears as a weekly guest breaking down tape on Sirius Radio's Fantasy Football show. He is the exec producer of the State Farm NFL Matchup show that is on ESPN and is actually a very good show IMO. It's just stuck in a crappy time slot due to them focusing on X's and O's and not the weekly controversy.

I was somewhat surprised about his criticism of Devin Thomas but I see the criticisms as a good thing.

If he feels that Thomas can play much faster, and Thomas already seems to be turning the corner in terms of performance -- that can only bode well for Thomas' and the team's future. Maybe it's one of those issues where Thomas is still thinking a little too much and that's blocking him from playing to his full, confident potential. That's exciting. Davis, Thomas, Kelly, and Mitchell could be dominating for years.

As for JC...

For years now when I think of my ideal QB, I always think back on a play I saw from Brees when he was in SD. He dropped back and the ends instantly collapsed on him. He moved up into the pocket but the DTs were pressing. He rolled to his left and still saw nothing. As he ran up toward the line of scrimmage he (underhanded, I'm pretty sure) threw to a TE, just over the finger tips of a LB and in front of the covering corner. First down.

And it wasn't just that one play. I remember that entire series playing out like that. He just kept pressing and driving his team and finding ways to make yards. It was like, to use a cliche, he was willing his team forward, toward the eventual TD.

That level of spontaneity and quick thinking and desire always struck me as the best a QB can offer (who cares about 40 times and arm strength and so forth), and strikes me as stark in its contrast to the "robotic" passer. And when I see Cosell's comments referring to JC as robotic, I think he's bringing up that kind of comparison, too.

It sure seems to me that he's watching JC drop back and throw, going through his progressions, finding the holes, etc. -- like a normal QB. But when unexpected things happen, JC breaks down somewhat. It's hard for him to adjust on the fly. He kind of needs to go to the sidelines and talk it over with Zorn to figure those things out.

JC is still a serviceable passer. And he showed in the Saints game that when things go right, he can put up decent stats. But how often can we expect things to go right? This season, I'd say that's about 25% of the time (three times in twelve).

Who is this rube?

he sure doesn't know football

did he even watch the game? :hysterical: He is just parroting old criticisms of JC, that wasn't accurate before and completely WRONG against the Saints.

So says bubba9497 from extremeskins.com. Lol. How are you not embarrassed by some of the comments you make? Are you and Tr1 the same person? Did you watch the coaching tape of this game? That is the ONLY way you can evaluate a players performance. Cosell makes his living watching football. Id take his word over some guy that posts WP articles on a message board any day of the week.

Who is this guy? If you never saw the game, you would think that the Skins struggled all day on offense only getting a few lucky breaks. I would like to see his Aints comentary.

Linky?

He's Howard Cosell's nephew. Like Howard, he talks a good game but he's never coached or played at any level. He watches a lot of film, but he's not an expert analyst.

He's Howard Cosell's nephew. Like Howard, he talks a good game but he's never coached or played at any level. He watches a lot of film, but he's not an expert analyst.

Thanks Oldfan I was about to say the same thing. When a guy such as this says those kinds of things both sides will agree to disagree, but its a reason why his program is in the slot its in because respected analyst who has actually played the game are in better situations as far as media exposure for their shows. That's all I'm going to say..........

Just remember that Hall of Fame QB's and players have been thrown under the bus by these supposedly film evaluators and experts in the past which simply boils down to their opinion, which in that case everyone has one. It doesn't mean its right or wrong.

RED06

Archived