Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tailgating in DC?

Questfor31

Hello Extreme,

Over the last four years, I’ve been traveling to NFL stadiums across the country in an attempt to see a professional football game in each one, a feat I call the Quest for 31. My goal is to truly understand what it’s like to be a fan of every franchise in the NFL. As part of my immersive study on the home team experience, I show up early on gameday, tailgate with local fans, eat local foods, and wear a home team jersey to rally the home team to victory. After each visit, I summarize my weekend in an online stadium review which I then post on the website, www.nflfootballstadiums.com.

I’ve worn a head of cheese in Green Bay, put on shoulder pads and spiked arm guards in Oakland, swung a terrible towel overhead to rally the Steelers … I even proposed to my wife during an NFL game and had an NFL themed wedding. This weekend I’ll be in Nashville for the Titans-Rams game. Next weekend I'm heading to the DC area to watch your Washington Redskins take on the New York Giants. I was wondering if you might recommend some superb Redskins Tailgating outside of FedExField or some gameday traditions I need to make sure I check in on while I’m in town. Any assitance you might provide would be greatly appreciated.

:gaintsuck

Yep the ES tailgate is probably the biggest and most consistent at FedEx as far as I know. If you need to know more about it PM Pez or Huly, who organize it.

Also, after this Sunday a thread for the Giants tailgate should appear in this forum "the Tailgate:"

http://extremeskins.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

ES tailgates are fun, lots of food, drinking, socializing, and games. A lot of times you'll catch Chief Zee there too, our unofficial mascot.

I think this is a cool project BTW. I want to see a game at every NFL stadium someday myself, although I won't be neutral lol.

We'll know by Tuesday night.

I've got my fingers crossed. My streak of seven (regular season) home games a year since 2002 is already in jeopardy due to these late season nighters.

I kinda wish the OP was hitting a day game at FedEx b/c I think you get a better feel for the true gameday experience and crowd, unlike at the night games where you seemingly get a lot more non regulars in attendance.

So what is your record attending games and cheering for the home team. The Skins need some good luck.

If you check his Web site, you'll see he is not a goat, but not much of a rabbit's foot either: he is 17-14 for a .548 winning percent - but both of the 'Skins games he has been to, the Redskins won. At least he is not coming for the Cowboys game - he has been to three of their games and Dallas won all of them.

I couldn't help you there but there are plenty of people here who can. I just wanted to ask how in the world can you afford to do this?

What I've been doing is putting my tax return money each year toward the Quest. I average about 12 games each year and coincidentally I have lots of friends, family, college buddies, and frat brothers marooned in NFL cities. this was my excuse to visit all of them.

So...you were a cowboys fan for a day?

Unfortunately I was a Cowboys fan for three days. As a Bills fan, I continue to feel the sting of the Super Bowl embarrassments (can't even bring myself to call them losses), so donning the star was not easy. Yo guys posted a nice win on us in 1991 as well. That was definitley an embarrassment. I've met some good Cowboy fans, who I consider friends, so I'm finding a way to deal with that franchise... I really like the Sabre Smiley ... that's bad ass.

:saber:.

If you check his Web site, you'll see he is not a goat, but not much of a rabbit's foot either: he is 17-14 for a .548 winning percent - but both of the 'Skins games he has been to, the Redskins won. At least he is not coming for the Cowboys game - he has been to three of their games and Dallas won all of them.

Thanks for the win percentage. This year I've seen a lot of stinkers. I feel like I've been traveling all this way, expending all these resources just to watch the home team lose ... it's bloody miserable. Yeah, I wouldn't consider myself any kind of good luck charm.

Yep the ES tailgate is probably the biggest and most consistent at FedEx as far as I know. If you need to know more about it PM Pez or Huly, who organize it.

Also, after this Sunday a thread for the Giants tailgate should appear in this forum "the Tailgate:"

http://extremeskins.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

ES tailgates are fun, lots of food, drinking, socializing, and games. A lot of times you'll catch Chief Zee there too, our unofficial mascot.

I think this is a cool project BTW. I want to see a game at every NFL stadium someday myself, although I won't be neutral lol.

Quote just to make sure you didn't miss it.

Do you have a personal favorite team, Quest?

Not based on the quest itself, I mean. Like before you started doing this.

Absolutely, i was born and raised in Buffalo, New York. I'm a huge Buffalo Bills fan. Some of these stadiums were tough to visit like Miami and Dallas, but my quest is about experiencing what it means to be a fan of every franchise ... so you put your personal bias aside and put on that clown suit for the day.

I watched Bruce Smith and Andre Reed come to the Redskins. Watched London Fletcher come over. Then we took that lump of a useless o-lineman Dockery off your hands for a couple seasons. During the draft when the Bills were on the clock and then selected Aaron Maybin, I couldn't believe they passed on Orakpo. I like that kid. Anyway, I digress ... Bills fan, definitely proud to be a Bills fan.

Don't even think about coming to FedEx and wearing anything related to the Skins if you then plan on doing the same or have already done the same in Dallas. Do NOT mix the two, jerk.

Get over it dude. :chair:

Did you not read the part about him growing up in Buffalo and rooting for the Bills his entire life?

He's merely an NFL fan on a diplomacy mission to conduct a balanced study of gameday experiences around the league. Why should he give a :pooh: about the Skins/Cowboys rivalry?

Archived