Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

per: RI Marty speaks up, talks about Snyder and Vinny what we already know

cmoskins80

...and, Marty sucks a playoff games.

Marty felt this way when he was here in 2001 and was GM and coach...a condition of his employment was having all personnel decisions.

One thing Marty doesn't lack is a huge ego, a big mouth, and an inability to win big games.

This is old news about bad blood.

Just sayin'.

I'd rather make it to the big game and lose than never making it there. And being the joke of the NFL!

Marty sucking in the playoffs doesn't invalidate criticism of Cerrato. Kind of a weak "poison the well" comment there.

That's typical of Snyderatto sniffers. When their leaders get criticized, bash the messenger. It works for within the Snyderatto organization, and it works for admirers of that organization, too.

Marty sucking in the playoffs doesn't invalidate criticism of Cerrato. Kind of a weak "poison the well" comment there.

You don't think Marty just took a gratuitous shot at DS?

The only reason I like DS is because he spends money and takes chances. Consider the alternative...an owner who won't spend and will intentionally take a low round guy in the first round to save money through paying a smaller contract (see, Bidwell of Arizona, whose recent success has been predicated on finally spending some money.)

Marty had full control and could only muster 8-8...and, he's such a lovable guy, he was fired from a team he took to the playoffs twice and ended in one and dones.

I guess he's pathetic at picking players who can win playoff games...

Cerrato must have some serious dirt on Snyder. It's so disheartening to have such an incompetent owner and GM.
That's something that never occurred to me. That might be the explanation as to why ownership has embraced this obvious losing management style for so long.

I think Dan might actually be correct. Bringing in a GM right now will result in the way Marty was sent packing in my opinion. Everyone was so happy when Vinny was promoted because he would have full accountability. That is still not the case.

Dan should simply make himself GM and accountable. Give himself 3 or 4 years and make an honest evaluation then.

If he hired enough competent talent evaluators in the scouting department and was being provided honest accurate information and not what he wants to hear, I think he could make successful decisions.

You have to be ****ing joking. Snyder has WAY too many other interests to be a competent general manager, even if he had the experience and smarts, which he does not.
...Someone please assassinate him,...
Seven days.
... I'm serious.
Seven more days.
I have decided I won't be renewing my season tickets if Vinny is not fired. Next year I will sit in my Redskins room and watch the games from my Lazy Boy.

Screw Snyderatto!

I'm saving that decision for January. Without major changes, I"m there as well.

HAHA.

I knew some clowns would come in here and say that Snyderatto are right and Marty is wrong, because you know, our record since 2001 surely cannot be questioned.

And, the agenda boyz never have anything positive to say about the organization, right FTW?

:rotflmao:

That's something that never occurred to me. That might be the explanation as to why ownership has embraced this obvious losing management style for so long.

You have to be ****ing joking. Snyder has WAY too many other interests to be a competent general manager, even if he had the experience and smarts, which he does not.

Seven days.

I'm saving that decision for January. Without major changes, I"m there as well.

Actually Mark, Socal brings up an interesting point.

The only reason I like DS is because he spends money and takes chances. Consider the alternative...an owner who won't spend and will intentionally take a low round guy in the first round to save money through paying a smaller contract (see, Bidwell of Arizona, whose recent success has been predicated on finally spending some money.)

Marty had full control and could only muster 8-8...and, he's such a lovable guy, he was fired from a team he took to the playoffs twice and ended in one and dones.

Didn't Marty try to get Snyder out of the cap hell that he was getting himself into by getting rid of bad contracts he signed a year earlier? Most of the team was new in 2001. He dumped Jeff George mid-season (the right choice) and went with Banks as his QB. Hardly a franchise QB, but he was serviceable. I think Marty did a hell of a job considering what he was left with in 2000. If he had another year, he would have been 12-4, IMO.

Nope, like the part where Marty said, "God love him"? He took a shot at Vinny clearly when he said he didn't really respect him. Certainly.

I agree that's the only reason I like Dan Snyder also; he's definitely willing to spend. There's more than one alternative to Dan Snyder though besides Bidwell, tr1, and that includes owners who have competent GMs like the Colts or Ravens or Chargers.

And again I don't see how this invalidates any critique of Vinny Cerrato. You just reiterated the fact that Marty sucks at winning in the playoffs. And yes he's been fired. That isn't a newsflash. Cerrato is a weak GM who for some reason maintains influence at Redskins park with Dan Snyder. Marty criticized his performance and cited his low opinion of Cerrato that dates back to their time in Washington BEFORE this miserable season. Simply put, he saw a long time ago what a lot of us see now. Is there a personal slant to it? Of course.

Bottom line mediocrity sucks and the Redskins can do a lot better than Cerrato.

Actually Mark, Socal brings up an interesting point.

It's interesting until you think about it for a moment. Do we really want a part-time unqualified GM?

**** no.

Enough will the bull****. We've tried the unconventional method of management and it has blown up in our face. We're the laughing stock of the league. Enough.

Didn't Marty try to get Snyder out of the cap hell that he was getting himself into by getting rid of bad contracts he signed a year earlier? Most of the team was new in 2001. He dumped Jeff George mid-season (the right choice) and went with Banks as his QB. Hardly a franchise QB, but he was serviceable. I think Marty did a hell of a job considering what he was left with in 2000. If he had another year, he would have been 12-4, IMO.

You are correct. Marty had little cap to work with due to numerous poor personnel decisions prior to his hiring. On top of that Marty had to overcome the mutiny which resulted from his no nonsense training camp that upset all the previously pampered players. I think Marty did a very good job all things considered, and the team was definitely improving when Snyder decided it just wasn't fun enough with Marty in control.

Somehow I see Dan, if he added the title "GM" to his list of titles right behind Generalissimo, draft players based on marketability instead of if they actually help the team. Dan is a money maker first, and someone who made his money in marketing. He'll have a lot of pieces that won't fit together, IMO.

Kind of like we have right now.

I found out (through a friend who knows someone on the inside at Redskins Park) that snyder wanted to draft Sanchez in order to appeal to the Hispanic market in DC. This guy apparently got into a heated argument with snyder telling him that Sanchez was a POS and would never succeed in the NFL.

I'm tired of people who defend Snyder based on his willingness to spend as much money as possible. What's the point in having an owner who "spends money and takes chances" when he spends on the wrong things and makes bad decisions based on his overinflated ego and need to market the team instead of putting the right pieces together? The result is still the same: frustrating Sundays and sitting at home in January. Marty may have only been able to "muster 8-8," but that was after an 0-5 start with little talent. Given time, he could have built on that record and gotten this team to more than a few post-season appearances.

I'd rather go to the playoffs consistently and not win the big one than sit through sub-.500 seasons and be considered a laughing-stock by the league any day.

Exactly.

I love the rocket scientists who bash Marty based on the single 8-8 season.

2001 was a flush job by Marty. He dumped a bunch of huge contracts and took the hit that season so then he'd start the rebuild.

Getting to 8-8 was a bonus for that season.

What Marty was doing, something that has not been done since, was building with 2 and 3 years down the line.

What hurt Marty that season was just how awful the team looked and played those first 5 games. I think the whole "you don't get a second chance at making a first impression" phrase comes to mind. Still, Marty was heading the right way. His history says a Super Bowl may not have been in the cards, but who knows.

Having said that, I don't want to paint Marty as blameless, his style is/was a bit much and his trying to teach Darrell Green technique at the age of 39 was just Marty flexing his muscles and showing that nobody was immune from critique. It was unneccessary and was too much and bad PR. He of course also has the poor playoff record. So Marty wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but having said that, his way of building this team was the only sound one we've had since Snyder got here. Marty actually seemed like he wasn't focused on winning 10 games in 2001 but rather to build a year in and year out winner like he had in Cleveland and much more in Kansas City. He never got that chance. He was gone in a single season.

I wonder how many of the Marty bashers who base their critique solely on his one and only season would like the same standard applied to Gibbs 2.0 and his pathetic 6-10 first season of 2004?

We're the laughing stock of the league.

Possibly the most repeated, over-exaggerated line on this website.

I wonder if we'll start to see demands for new ownership, a "real" GM, blowing up the whole team, and a bunch of upside down logo's over on the Steelers boards?

I mean, what kind of organization starts off 6-2, then loses 5 in row, including the Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns.:silly:

I like TR1's posts - especially about the Cowpies - but I agree with Stwasm's point above. I don't want Snyder to spend lots of money on free agents. With all the injuries in this league, you can't win with 7 or 8 great players. You win with 20 or so really good players. You have to draft well and spread the money around - not spend money on a few big name free agents.

Face it. Two winning seasons in eleven years ain't cuttin' it. Snyder's methods are clearly not working.

Great quote. Something we all "knew", but its better to come from the horses mouth. Unfortunately, I don't think we have seen the last of Vinny. I'm hoping one of these big names like Shanny will have total autonomy. Hey, its better than Danny and Vinny making the calls.

Possibly the most repeated, over-exaggerated line on this website.

I wonder if we'll start to see demands for new ownership, a "real" GM, blowing up the whole team, and a bunch of upside down logo's over on the Steelers boards?

I mean, what kind of organization starts off 6-2, then loses 5 in row, including the Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns.:silly:

Given that they've won two of the last four Super Bowls, I think the Steelers have earned a bit of a grace period to get things turned around.

Vinny is pure hot garbage. I seriously doubt he knows how to evaluate talent. But I'm 100% sure he doesn't know how to build a football team. Dan needs to kick himself in the ass, then kick Vinny in the ass on his way out the building.

Well, he does know how to stroke Danny's ego and that's what keeps him employed and us Redskins fans miserable.

Archived