Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Zorn vs. Sherm Lewis: 6 games each

No_Pressure

Would you like to discuss Occam's Razor, and tell us how it applies to this issue? Perhaps you could start by explaining how it "technically is supposed to apply in all situations." I've never heard that claim before.

Nothing like bringing a 14th Century English Philosopher into a football discussion.

Given that Occam's Razor is a general theorm and not specific it can certainly be applied to all situations, though it is more useful in some than others for sure.

Its been used in religon (Occam was a Monk), science, politics, war and now its seems football.

There are many translations and adaptations of Occams original writing but say we take the following as being as good as any "when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better".

The probelm with Occams Razor in many situations IMO, and in this one in particular, is people vary rarely agree on which competing theory is the simpler one.

Almost no one is arguing that execution or playcalling alone have made the difference. But is it simpler to beleve that execution has suddenly improved dramatically leading maginifying any effect that improvements in playcalling might have made or that much better playcalling has lead to better execution.

No one on here can prove one over the other and both camps could claim Occam is in their camp.

I don't think it's "Zorn vs Lewis" because Zorn's still coming up with game plans. I think Zorn is as much a part of this turnaround, possibly more, than Lewis. People talk like Lewis is doing all the work when he's not.

We say that because the players are giving the credit to lewis not zorn. Campbell and Thomas have both said it was lewis's scheme's and playcalling toward a teams defensive tendancies that has increased the production, go look up the interviews. This is zorn's offense and it says alot that a guy who was calling bingo can come in a call it better than he has. But you can believe what you want.

Campbell is getting better as the line improves. If we build a great line, who is to say that JC can't become great as well? He shows more potential than he did a few weeks ago as the line is showing potential for a line that was strung together the way it was. JC has made just about every type of throw he never had the time or confidence in protection to consistently complete, especially the lob passes down the sideline. Consistent line play builds a consistent QB.

MartinC -- Nothing like bringing a 14th Century English Philosopher into a football discussion.

When Occam's Razor is invoked on an internet message board, it's usually a sign of desperation.

Given that Occam's Razor is a general theorm and not specific it can certainly be applied to all situations, though it is more useful in some than others for sure.

That's not my understanding. Offering the most famous example, at one time atheists argued that Occam's Razor applied to the existence of God question. Their reasoning has since been discredited. Today, even hard atheists rarely make that argument.

A few years ago, a scientist admitted after five years of peer review that Occam's Razor applied. The admission worked against his interest in his pet theory.

So, Occam's Razor does not apply in all situations. In fact, it should not be used simply as a device for eliminating competing theories when forming opinions. Then, it's nothing more than a tool for bias. OR is useful when we need a "working theory," a place to start our investigation.

There are many translations and adaptations of Occams original writing but say we take the following as being as good as any "when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better".

I like the version which prefers the theory which makes the fewest assumptions.

So, Occam's Razor does not apply in all situations. In fact, it should not be used simply as a device for eliminating competing theories when forming opinions. Then, it's nothing more than a tool for bias. OR is useful when we need a "working theory," a place to start our investigation.

assumptions.

We agree. I think you misunderstood what I meant. When I said Occam could be applied to any situation I meant it could be considered as a tool not that it would work or be useful in all contexts.

I was trying to argue that while you could consider it in this debate it's not useful as both sides can argue with some evidence that Occams Razor supports their view. I find that's often the case.

Lewis has got everyone interested in TD's and not just field goals

I don't think it's "Zorn vs Lewis" because Zorn's still coming up with game plans. I think Zorn is as much a part of this turnaround, possibly more, than Lewis. People talk like Lewis is doing all the work when he's not.

Archived