Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Zorn vs. Sherm Lewis: 6 games each

No_Pressure

As per Chris Cooley Sherm Lewis installs the regular game plan and then on Thursdays Jom Zorn installs the 3rd down packages. All the coaches - including Lewis - have input to the make up of the gameplan. I have no idea how much Lewis says or suggests of course in those meetings..

A Washington Post article posted a few days ago reported that Lewis took a backseat in game planning. The comment was supported by a quote from Chris Meidt.

I don't think Sherm's up to speed on opposing defenses yet, so, I don't see how he could be expected to be the driving influence in the process.

(Devin Thomas was quoted giving the example that Lewis has changed some of the depths of the pass routes) are a significant part of the improvement.

Are you sure about that? I recall Devin commenting on the depth of some of the routes. I don't know that he credited Lewis with that. Since Lewis doesn't coach the players, I wonder how Devin would know whose idea that was.

A Washington Post article posted a few days ago reported that Lewis took a backseat in game planning. The comment was supported by a quote from Chris Meidt.
So Lewis just shows up on Sunday and calls plays. I think a person as wise as yourself can find flaws in that story. Do you honestly think that Chris Meidt would say if Lewis was in charge? He is a kid who wants his job.

I think it is becoming clearer that all the PR that the Skins are doing to justify Zorn's position as HC is working well on some. For those of us who can analyze the empirical data from the last 6 weeks are not baffled by the BS.

The point that matters to me is that Jim Zorn will most likely be gone next year. Hopefully Vinny Cerrato as well. If we are looking for a new Head Coach, instead of going after out dated ones and washed up like Mike and Gruden, why don't we try a already proven OC/playcaller who knows and have a reputation with the team and system.

Sherm Lewis 4 Head Coach. BINGO! Thats a good idea.

I've noticed a debate in this thread about what to attribute our offensive success towards.

Some say Lewis play calling, some say players execution, some say that the team has had time to gel. I've got some problems with some of these theories. BUT first, one thing we all must agree on is the fact that the offense looks more confident and comfortable since the bye week.

Now why is it that a team would look more comfortable all of a sudden. Throw out the fact that we have bench players who are hungry in the game because we've had bench players in the game since week#2. Throw out that crap about the team having time to gel because we were 2-6 in the latter part of last season. If you've ever played sports you know that a player is comfortable when they have confidence in the plays that are called! That means the players run faster ,cut harder, and block longer because they have faith in the play. Its quite that simple.

The answer is : Sherm Lewis!

So Lewis just shows up on Sunday and calls plays. I think a person as wise as yourself can find flaws in that story. Do you honestly think that Chris Meidt would say if Lewis was in charge? He is a kid who wants his job.

I don't think Chris Meidt lied to reporters. He told them what Lewis said -- words to the effect that he had faith in the people who had been doing the game planning before he got there.

I also don't think that Lewis came in with enough of a grasp of Zorn's scheme and the defensive tendencies in the NFL since he retired five years ago to get too deeply involved with the game planning even if he wanted to.

....BUT first, one thing we all must agree on is the fact that the offense looks more confident and comfortable since the bye week...

How do you look at a team and see confidence and comfort? I look and see the Skins playing better football on the offense.

How do you look at a team and see confidence and comfort? I look and see the Skins playing better football on the offense.

Can't you see our QB standing tall in the pocket and not worrying about the rush?

Can't you see our O-line not hesitating on who to pick up?

Can't you see our receivers running the routes hard and making plays after the catch?

That's all about knowing that the play will work and having confidence.

But You missed the most important thing I said in my last quote:

I If you've ever played sports you know that a player is comfortable when they have confidence in the plays that are called!
. I dont think you fall into that category.

But You missed the most important thing I said in my last quote: .

I dont think you fall into that category.

You have every bit as much actual evidence to support this conclusion as you do your theory -- nada.

Yeah. You can see comfort and confidence.

Are you sure about that? I recall Devin commenting on the depth of some of the routes. I don't know that he credited Lewis with that. Since Lewis doesn't coach the players, I wonder how Devin would know whose idea that was.

Yes. I'm offline right now so I can't go search for a link but it was in a piece after the game when Thomas was specifically being asked about the impact Lewis has made.

Your point about the lack of interaction Lewis has with the players is a good one. I'm a bit at a loss how he can be totally effective if he chooses, or is not allowed, to interact with the players.

As a play caller Id want to sit down with my QB as a minimum and talk through the scripts to identify the calls he was most comfortable with.

I have to think there is SOME interaction.

Sherm Lewis for headcoach

REALLY?!? REALLY!?!? You want a bingo caller, who doesn't talk to the team he works for and represents to be the head coach. Communication is one of the main attributes of a good head coach. The dude is running an offense that is still losing games, make all the arguments you want, our Defense is atleast decent. We aren't the best, we aren't the worst defense, but we are still losing. :chair:

REALLY?!? REALLY!?!? You want a bingo caller, who doesn't talk to the team he works for and represents to be the head coach. Communication is one of the main attributes of a good head coach. The dude is running an offense that is still losing games, make all the arguments you want, our Defense is atleast decent. We aren't the best, we aren't the worst defense, but we are still losing. :chair:

we scored 30 points against the Saints, first time in years, thanks to Sherm Lewis playcalling and still lost. Do you know why? because the DEFENSE let Drew Brees throw for over 400 yards, repeatedly bit on double moves, and let their offense score 33 points. Sherm Lewis called a good game while the defensive play was inexcusable.

we scored 30 points against the Saints, first time in years, thanks to Sherm Lewis playcalling and still lost. Do you know why? because the DEFENSE let Drew Brees throw for over 400 yards, repeatedly bit on double moves, and let their offense score 33 points. Sherm Lewis called a good game while the defensive play was inexcusable.

How do you explain the Cowboys game..... Their Defense isn't THAT good. 6 pts, not one touchdown. NOT ONE! If you are going to look at one, you have to look at the other.

I think Zorn is a good QB coach, might be a good OC. Sherm Lewis is a good playcaller, but would he be able to put the hours of preparation every week to be a good OC?

I think one factor to some player's improved performance is better motivation now. Instead of everybody going nowhere under the same old status quo, now people are playing for jobs and starting positions. Especially on offense, it's a wide open competition, except for QB by front office choice.

None of us attend practice, none of us see what happens behind the scenes.

Contrasting the offense the way it's being done by the author is a simplistic approach that is conjecture at best.

For example, by all accounts Zorn continues to install the game plan, can one really accurately say how much weight that contribution carries? What about the Zorns willingness to integrate a complete stranger in the ranks of coaches and coordinators and to make him feel part of the team while still getting the players to buy in the concepts and give it their all on gameday?

There are so many variables that it's a bit unfair to play this numbers game and distribute credit based on overall performance.

Calling plays is just a tiny part of the equation, coaching players, and keeping them focused and motivated despite numerous distractions is deserving of far more credit than some of us are willing to give.

Contrasting the offense the way it's being done by the author is a simplistic approach that is conjecture at best....

...There are so many variables that it's a bit unfair to play this numbers game and distribute credit based on overall performance.

You picked the right words, in my opinion. The reasoning is simplistic and it's certainly unfair to JIm Zorn and his staff. It's also the common belief.

If you thought about it at all, you could see this coming when Sherm Lewis took over the playcalling, though. It was a safe bet that, if the offense improved in the second half of the season, Sherm Lewis would get the credit because it was a well-publicized event and so many people just automatically associate cause with what might well be coincidence.

The other factor making this episode predictable is the second-guessing of the playcaller. Fans have been second-guessing playcallers since the game was invented, but in recent years, the phenomenon has reached epidemic proportions. Maybe it's the Madden thing, I don't know. But, it was easily predictable that all those fans who second-guessed Jim Zorn's playcalling would credit Shermn Smith if the offense came to life.

After all this back and forth I still believe that the two most significant factors are, in order of importance, Levi Jones protecting Jason's blindside and being stout in the running game, and Sherm Lewis' playcalling. There are other factors, certainly, but Levi Jones' performance is getting lost in all of the recent talk about the offense's improvement.

Will Smith, for instance, would have continually pummeled Jason Campbell if it was still Stephon Heyer as left tackle. He was stoned time and again by Levi Jones.

Jason Campbell does not throw for more than 350 yards against New Orleans without Levi Jones protecting him.

...Jason Campbell does not throw for more than 350 yards against New Orleans without Levi Jones protecting him.

Levi has likely been a factor. Also, the game plan was pared down to eliminate deep drops and slow-developing plays. And, they rolled Jason more often.

If I had to take a guess, a big part of this is improved play by the O line coupled with going almost exclusively with three step drops. JC adjusting and dodging pressure better. Levi Jones IMO is a big upgrade at LT over Heyer who I think is by a mile their worst O lineman. Replacing Portis with Betts gave them a spark for awhile too.

I would guess that Sherman Lewis is a variable in the offenses improvement but not the only one. And I do agree that all of this is conjecture. I generally disagree with Oldfan's assessment of Zorn's prowess as a coach but I do agree with him that our opinions about Zorn likely color our perception of this move one way or another, and we have no way of proving anything.

Unfortunately for Zorn, am gathering Cerrato's perception of Zorn likewise colors his mood about the whole thing. The other day on his radio show, he complemented the young players for their improvement, said that Sherman Lewis called an "outstanding game" against the Saints. His mention of Zorn was a big fat ZERO.

Archived