Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Financial Post: The real inconvenient truth (Population Control)

sacase

Birth rates drop and populations stabilize as countries develop economically.

We don't have the time or the resources to give the entire world the "American Dream". :silly:

If we as a species have any hope, it is to get the population under control...unless that happens, we are all screwed....:doh: be fruitful and multiply...great advise!!

In Korea, they never officially had an one child policy or anything like that but the government did run some public campaign 20-30 yeears ago about just having a single child and raising them "correctly". "Correctly" meant being able to financially support their education and all that goes along with it. The campaign no long exists but people are choosing to have a single child or not have any at all now because of the competitve and expensive nature of raising kids in Korea. I believe the same happened in Japan for past 20-40 years....

Both countries, South Korea and Japan, is not actually facing populations problems not due to raising population levels but due to problems associated with declining.

I know now in South Korea, the government pays the mothers "bonus" money for giving birth. In rich neighborhood where # of kids per family is low, the bonus are substantial and it increases as more kids you have but in rural areas where # of kids per family is still high, there is no bonus.

So Stalin, Hitler and Mao are heroes, saving the planet with population control?

That explains a lot about leftists and the green movement.

Please, being fruitful and multiplying has gotten us far right?? It's selfish and screws everyone in the process...:doh:

So Stalin, Hitler and Mao are heroes, saving the planet with population control?

That explains a lot about leftists and the green movement.

right. that's exactly what people are saying. nice job digging through all the bs to find that lil' kernal.

You must not be paying attention. The pro lifers are...well, they're pro life.

Funny thing is that most of the ones that I know are pro death penelty...:silly: Including our last president...:doh: Speaking of him, anyone know whatever happened to "compassionate conservatism". :D

This has been the subject or background of many "hard" science fiction books.

In Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card the magic number is two children per family. Ender is in fact a "third", allowed only because the government was looking for a genius child of the right temperament and his family showed great promise.

In Natures End things get so bad that people vote on taking part in a "lottery". Every one would randomly take a pill of which a given percentage would be lethal in order to reduce the population.

I don't know if it will get to that point but I think the truth my be in there somewhere. At some point, more radical ideas like forced population control may get enough support if the consequences of not doing so become too great.

My feeling is that it's more likely we will have a great war over it and reduce the population that way, rather than any carefully thought out plan to keep things from reaching that point. That's just what humans do. :doh:

Archived