Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Financial Post: The real inconvenient truth (Population Control)

sacase

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=2314438

Diane Francis, Financial Post

Published: Tuesday, December 08, 2009

The "inconvenient truth" overhanging the UN's Copenhagen conference is not that the climate is warming or cooling, but that humans are overpopulating the world.

A planetary law, such as China's one-child policy, is the only way to reverse the disastrous global birthrate currently, which is one million births every four days.

The world's other species, vegetation, resources, oceans, arable land, water supplies and atmosphere are being destroyed and pushed out of existence as a result of humanity's soaring reproduction rate.

Ironically, China, despite its dirty coal plants, is the world's leader in terms of fashioning policy to combat environmental degradation, thanks to its one-child-only edict.

The intelligence behind this is the following:

-If only one child per female was born as of now, the world's population would drop from its current 6.5 billion to 5.5 billion by 2050, according to a study done for scientific academy Vienna Institute of Demography.

-By 2075, there would be 3.43 billion humans on the planet. This would have immediate positive effects on the world's forests, other species, the oceans, atmospheric quality and living standards.

-Doing nothing, by contrast, will result in an unsustainable population of nine billion by 2050.

-------------------------------

This is something I was thinking about the other day when I posted the thread about CO2 being a pollutant. I was hesitant to say something because I wasn't sure my reasoning was solid.

We talk about pollution and how to curb it, but how many people can the planet comfortably support? Most of the Natural events that cause human populations to stay in a certain peramater are gone. We don't suffer from disease or infant mortality, etc.

I can easily see this being the next part of the whole Global Warming/Global Climate change crowds process.

Almost everyone realizes that population increase will eventually lead to monstrous problems. But what to do about it? People react to birth restrictions violently thinking of their own wants over an macro view of the globe as a whole 10 times out of 10. Many just assume a plague or a war will reduce population eventually.

What happens if you get pregnant with a second child in China? Are you taxed? Or do they throw it in the forest, or what?

lol "throw it in the forest" That's an odd option don't you think?

I believe the answer is you are forced to get an abortion or the child is taken away... perhaps to the forest.

Really? Forced abortion?

I can't get behind that... and don't really think we should use that as a progressive answer to a problem.

That's obvious Tulane. Only in places that are decidedly not free would forced abortion even see the light of day. Anyone trying to push that in the US would be chased out of office and possibly killed. It's an idea that is frankly abhorrent.

Having said that... can anything ever be done?

That's obvious Tulane. Only in places that are decidedly not free would forced abortion even see the light of day. Anyone trying to push that in the US would be chased out of office and possibly killed. It's an idea that is frankly abhorrent.

Having said that... can anything ever be done?

I'm assuming in the future there will be some sort of mandatory sterilzation procedure for the mother and/or father after x number of children have been born.

I could be wrong but assuming there isn't some huge plague or disaster (God forbid) something will have to be done.

What happens if you get pregnant with a second child in China? Are you taxed? Or do they throw it in the forest, or what?

You just pay a hefty fine. Unless of course you are a minority and the one child policy doesn't apply to you. Plus if you live in the rural area there's really no government control on how money kids you have. Also now the Chinese government are worried about not enough workers to support the older generation.

I don't see anything like china's childbearing laws taking place in the US. First of all, aborting or taking away a 2nd child isn't an option IMO, 2nd- we have too many people that don't believe in any form of birth control (like the lady from 18 kids and counting), and 3rd- there are too many people who have to use the in vitro route which can cause multiple births which would mean doctors/Pharma companies losing a lot of money if these laws were in place.

People have been predicting over population of the planet as an issue for 200+ years. To some extant, earlier people would probably acert they are right due to the wars we see through out much of the world and the increasing spread of certain diseases, but generally through technology we have found solutions to mantain something resembling the status quo if not improving on the situation.

People have been predicting over population of the planet as an issue for 200+ years. To some extant, earlier people would probably acert they are right due to the wars we see through out much of the world and the increasing spread of certain diseases, but generally through technology we have found solutions to mantain something resembling the status quo if not improving on the situation.

Agree.

I doubt 200 years ago Malthus would have thought we'd have a shot of sustaining a civilization with 6.5 billion people on Earth

all the world needs to do is to stop propping up populations in area that cannot sustain themselves.

too many mice in a field for the food supply? some mice go hungry and die. too many people in a barren land? we send over food so that they can scratch out a barely survivable existence and continue to reproduce.

it's a bit harsh and it's a policy that will never take hold, but controlling the world's population wouldn't be all that difficult.

You just pay a hefty fine. Unless of course you are a minority and the one child policy doesn't apply to you. Plus if you live in the rural area there's really no government control on how money kids you have. Also now the Chinese government are worried about not enough workers to support the older generation.

this is the right answer. i was just in china and met many families that had 2 children. granted the families were all quite wealthy and could afford the fine.

Beijing (AsiaNews/Agencies) – A former member of a government advisory body in Xiaochang County (Hubei) has been ordered to pay 765,500 yuan (US$ 100,000) in fines for flouting the one-child policy. Li Shaoqing, who is also the chairman of a county cement company, had been dumped from the Xiaochang County Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, the top government advisory body in the area, because he fathered a second child in 2006.

The fines imposed on Mr Li are believed to be the highest ever since the controversial law was introduced in 1979.

The one-child policy, which has seen violators subjected to harsh treatment ranging from forced abortions to demolition of homes, especially in rural areas, has been at the centre of an international controversy for years.

But broad social changes have led to relaxation and a jump in the number of violations among the rich and famous, who often take advantage of lax enforcement to pay their way out of trouble when they are found to have more than one child, setting off protests against the inequality in the application of the law.

In 2006 1,678 officials, celebrities and rich people in Hubei alone were found to be in violation of the law.

Others i read were 8,000 on averge..

no aunts and uncles?

Archived