Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Audio: Police OK Woman's Killing Of Intruder

Hunter44

A wise decision,the shotgun gets my endorsement for home defense for both effectiveness and added safety factors for the neighbors.

Yeah I'm pretty familiar with firearms, and the shotgun would be my go-to gun in a situation like this. I was think about the handgun for my girlfriend though. She's pretty small and a shotgun might be a little much for her. I was thinking something like a little Walther P22 for her.

And if she did she could have given away here position, lost her tactical advantage, and made herself a target if he was armed, I gives a damn if the guy was drunk or not he made concerted effort to break in, and when he successful he got what he deserved. You break into my house and the only sound you will hear is the bolt going forward on this baby

I'm a big fan of gun rights and I would have blown that guys head off had I been in that woman's situation. Having said that what Ardowling advises here, and someone else said in this thread, is basically the best way to shoot an innocent person. People have shot relatives and others that didn't need to be shot because of their precious (and moronic) notion of tactical advantage.

You know the house you know where they are. A cry from inside an unfamiliar landscape will not give kill you if you have your firearm on the target. It will however save you from shooting your daughter sneaking into the house or someone else that means you no harm and my have been invited by someone else in your home without you knowing it.

She's pretty small and a shotgun might be a little much for her. I was thinking something like a little Walther P22 for her.

ya can always drop to a 20 gauge,still gets the job done and even a youth can handle it...each to their own,pistols do have their virtues

I'm a big fan of gun rights and I would have blown that guys head off had I been in that woman's situation. Having said that what Ardowling advises here, and someone else said in this thread, is basically the best way to shoot an innocent person. People have shot relatives and others that didn't need to be shot because of their precious (and moronic) notion of tactical advantage.

You know the house you know where they are. A cry from inside an unfamiliar landscape will not give kill you if you have your firearm on the target. It will however save you from shooting your daughter sneaking into the house or someone else that means you no harm and my have been invited by someone else in your home without you knowing it.

Wrong, you account for everyone one and clear your firing lane before engaging the target. in this state only two people can invite someone into my house and both of us are in the same location, I am going to be kind to you about what I think of your experience with tactics and maintaining an advantage over someone who has entered your house without your permission, because you wouldn't know tactics if it bit you in the ass

Wrong, you account for everyone one and clear your firing lane before engaging the target. in this state only two people can invite someone into my house and both of us are in the same location, I am going to be kind to you about what I think of your experience with tactics and maintaining an advantage over someone who has entered your house without your permission, because you wouldn't know tactics if it bit you in the ass

Wrong. Middle of the night and you hear someone breaking into your house coming through a window. You are under the impression all your family is sound asleep in their beds, but you don't have time to check because the person is coming in right away. You fire at the intruder's silhouette and kill him. Ok...

Or, you yell that you have a gun, and your teenage son yells back to not shoot. Turns out he just snuck out to hang with his friends at night, and came back in through the window. You punish him for sneaking out, but you're happy you didn't shoot him. Tragic accident avoided.

ALWAYS announce yourself to the intruder before firing. If they make a move, you still have them in your sights. You can still eliminate them if they are in fact a threat. And you can avoid horrible misunderstandings.

When you are woken up in the middle of the night things are not what you think they are. Your mind is not as clear as you think it is and people may not be where you think they are.

Wrong. Middle of the night and you hear someone breaking into your house coming through a window. You are under the impression all your family is sound asleep in their beds, but you don't have time to check because the person is coming in right away. You fire at the intruder's silhouette and kill him. Ok...

Or, you yell that you have a gun, and your teenage son yells back to not shoot. Turns out he just snuck out to hang with his friends at night, and came back in through the window. You punish him for sneaking out, but you're happy you didn't shoot him. Tragic accident avoided.

Wrong again, neither these catagloies fit my situation or the one in the original post. However you have to school everyone in the house of the rules and you make sure that its drilled into them. Lastly I did say you have to identify your target and clear your firing lanes. Guess you missed that part huh. By the way I am not looking to kill anyone but I will defend mine without hesitation.

When you are woken up in the middle of the night things are not what you think they are. Your mind is not as clear as you think it is and people may not be where you think they are.

I sleep very lightly thank you and I can assure you I know where everyone in my house is and oh by the way we have a plan in place in case a break in happens, watch out for the wife with the XD40;)

I was responding to the posts that intimated that she had done so. I simply stated that I didn't hear that happen on the recording and that I wasn't judging her actions in that situation.

You aren't really this thick, are you? Please tell me it's just an act.

for 23 minutes, I have a hard time believing he didn't know a lady was in there that didn't want him in there. Are you really defending this guy?

From the LiveLeak article:

Jackson was home alone when her dog woke her up, Sheriff Mangion said. She turned all the lights in the house on and then armed herself with the shotgun. Her husband was not home, Mangion said.

She went into her kitchen and saw a man trying to break in. The man saw her and screamed threats at her, Mangion said. She told him she was armed and on the phone with police, he said.

So she was entirely justified in shooting this man. She gave fair warning, and he cursed at her in reply and violently broke in.

Well then it's justified (not sarcasm).

ALWAYS announce yourself to the intruder before firing. If they make a move, you still have them in your sights. You can still eliminate them if they are in fact a threat. And you can avoid horrible misunderstandings.

none of these situations is remotely like the actual story. This woman spent 23 minutes on the phone with 911, listening to a man try to break down her house. Pretty sure she knew it wasn't one of her kids sneaking in late (and she didn't even have kids there).

Glad to see an updated article with specifics about her warning and such. I stand by my first post.

I'm sorry, did I say anywhere that I disagree with her actions?

I'm sorry, I'm a bit sensitive to people seemingly excusing idiotic and irresponsible behavior that directly leads to someone feeling they need to kill them and suffering the consequences of it.

I'm a bit short on empathy these days...deal with it or ignore me.

none of these situations is remotely like the actual story. This woman spent 23 minutes on the phone with 911, listening to a man try to break down her house. Pretty sure she knew it wasn't one of her kids sneaking in late (and she didn't even have kids there).

Glad to see an updated article with specifics about her warning and such. I stand by my first post.

Didn't say it was, we were discussing something slightly off topic.

for 23 minutes, I have a hard time believing he didn't know a lady was in there that didn't want him in there. Are you really defending this guy?

You, too?

For the final time, I am not defending him or placing judgement on her. I'm simply pointing out that some here are adding facts that are not evident in the long recorded 911 call. Like this one:

much easier said than done, and like the previous poster said, he had 23 minutes of her yelling at him to stop- I would think that should be sufficient.

Are you so intent on defending her that you're willing to just make things up?

She had every right to do what she did, and she shouldn't feel bad about it either. Here in NC there is (or used to be) this stupid law where you have a right to protect yourself from an intruder who breaks in, but you have to kill them inside the home. If they make it outside, you can be charged with murder.

Actually, I'm gonna do some research on this, b/c I want to know my rights, and frankly I think the whole, "if they make it outside" part is just plain dumb. Regardless if they make it outside or not, we should all have a right to use lethal force if necessary to protect ourselves.

Shouldn't she've pointed the gun at him and told him to leave, and THEN shot him? :whoknows:

I'm imagining that she was scared out of her mind. She probably couldn't even manage to look at the guy without flipping out. And understandably so.

He deserves what he got though. It's a shame he didn't lead a different life.

Shouldn't she've pointed the gun at him and told him to leave, and THEN shot him? :whoknows:

He wouldn't have even gotten a verbal warning from me, just a face full of lead the instant he came through the door/window. No sympathy for the man at all.

I might add, this point of view I hold is also why I don't own a gun. Because I know I'd use it, probably beyond what I'm legally allowed, and I don't want to deal with that.

This incident is why every state should have a "Castle Doctrine" law, I should not have to flee my home because some ****bird tries to break in, and where do you get the idea that most burglers will flee, at that time of day most homes are occupied so they know exactly what they are getting into, an occupied home. Lastly you never give away any tactical advantage, and I really don't care nor does it matter why he was trying to break in he did and he won't be doing it again. Justice served.

What if you didnt have a gun. What if you had, say, a machete?

I hate to bring this up but its something I've thought about a lot the last two years. What if.

What if you didnt have a gun. What if you had, say, a machete?

I hate to bring this up but its something I've thought about a lot the last two years. What if.

Was wondering when someone would bring this up. Was thinking the same thing.

23 minutes. Obviously knew the woman was there.

No excuses. I'd put a load in his chest too.

He wouldn't have even gotten a verbal warning from me, just a face full of lead the instant he came through the door/window. No sympathy for the man at all.

I might add, this point of view I hold is also why I don't own a gun. Because I know I'd use it, probably beyond what I'm legally allowed, and I don't want to deal with that.

just give me a call if someone breaks in dude....you know I'll come over and gat.

Was wondering when someone would bring this up. Was thinking the same thing.

23 minutes. Obviously knew the woman was there.

No excuses. I'd put a load in his chest too.

Obviously the circumstances surrounding this situation are totally different. But with our boy's situation I suspect that the "tactical advantage" theory backfired. We will never know for sure. But its a damn shame.

Yeah of course it sucks for the lady. But it sucks for the guy too. The article says that the guy crashed his truck into a tree nearby and has previous alchohol related charges. This leads me to believe he had a drinking problem and that night he got absolutly hammered, blacked out, crashed his truck, and attemted to go in to the house which he probably thought was his. I doubt he had any intentions of breaking in and robbing/raping/killing this lady.

Well the man was dangerous. He had a history of alcohol-related charges, yet he got drunk and drove his car and was acting like a maniac. he endangered not only this womans life, but the life of everyone on the road when he was driving. This is a tragic story, and its very sad when anyone loses their life, but this man engaged in actions which resulted in his own death. could the woman have escaped from the house? was she put in a position where she genuinely felt trapped and that she had to chose between her life and his? i dont know. i wasnt there. its not my place to pass judgement. the woman pulled the trigger, but to a large extent, the man's blood is on his own hands. hopefully, people who hear about this account and have drinking problems will think twice about the potential consequences of their behavior.

Archived