Audio: Police OK Woman's Killing Of Intruder

Hunter44

Dec 9, 2009 4:28 pm US/Eastern

Audio: Police OK Woman's Killing Of Intruder

Oklahoma Man Shot, Killed After Breaking Into Woman's Home

Entire Horrifying Incident Recorded On Call With Police Dispatcher

CUSHING, Okla. (CBS) ―

billyriley.jpg Click to enlarge 1 of 1

Billy Riley, 53, was shot and killed after he broke into an Oklahoma woman's home on Friday, Dec. 4, 2009. CBS

It's every homeowner's worst nightmare, especially if you live alone: someone breaks into your home while you're there. It happened to 57-year-old Donna Jackson in Oklahoma, and as heard in her dramatic 9-1-1 call, she took matters into her own hands.

"They need to hurry. He's going to break this thing open. When he does, I'll have to kill him and I don't want to kill kim."

Those are the words of Jackson while on phone with a police dispatcher as an intruder began breaking into her home in rural Oklahoma.

Dispatcher: "OK, and you have a gun?"

Jackson: "Yes I do. I do not have it out. It's a shotgun and I will use it."

For more than 10 minutes, Jackson stayed on the phone with the dispatcher and pleaded for help.

Jackson: "He's still here."

Dispatcher: "Yeah, I can hear him banging. Can you understand what he's saying at all?"

Jackson: "Well he's crazy, he's crazy."

Dispatcher: "I can hear him yelling."

Scared and along, Jackson took out her shotgun. The dispatcher informed her of her rights.

Dispatcher: "OK. County 13 is advising that you can defend your property if you need to."

Jackson: "I don't want to have to kill this man, but I'll kill him graveyard dead ma'am."

Dispatcher: "I understand."

Eventually, the suspect, identified as 53-year-old Billy Riley, used a chair and a patio table to break into the house.

Jackson: "I've turned off all the lights I can. Oh crap, he's breaking in."

Dispatcher: "He's breaking in now?"

Jackson: "He's breaking in now."

Dispatcher: (aside) "He's breaking in."

Still, Jackson was reluctant to shoot.

Jackson: "He looks to be an older man, I don't want to kill him."

Dispatcher: "I understand ma'am."

Jackson: "He's kicking in the door, please hurry!"

But a few minutes later, her worst fears came true.

Jackson: "Oh! He's got it! [breaks in] I'm putting the phone down now."

Dispatcher: "She hung up on me. He came through the window. He came through the door. He threw a chair through the door."

And one minute later there were gun shots heard.

Jackson: "Dear God, hurry! I haven't shot yet, hurry!" (Gun Shot)

Dispatcher: "Oh my God."

Jackson: "I shot him. I'm going out front. I hit him. Oh God, help me! Oh please dear God, I think I killed him, please Father in heaven, please Father in heaven!"

The suspect was killed, and the only thing Jackson was left with was anguish.

Jackson: "Oh ma'am, I shot him."

Dispatcher: "It's OK ma'am. It's OK."

Jackson: "He hasn't moved. I shot him. [Crying]"

Police said they will not charge Jackson with a crime. Prosecutors said she was justified under Oklahoma's "stand-your-ground" law.

Authorities don't know why the suspect broke into the home.

I feel so sorry for this woman....:( but that **** got what he deserved.

No it sucks for the women having to live with the thought of killing someone, he got what he deserved, you break-in you pay the consquences. The bigger question is why did it take the police 23 minutes to arrive at her house??? Think about what the crazy **** could have done to her in those 23 minutes, good riddence.

Yeah of course it sucks for the lady. But it sucks for the guy too. The article says that the guy crashed his truck into a tree nearby and has previous alchohol related charges. This leads me to believe he had a drinking problem and that night he got absolutly hammered, blacked out, crashed his truck, and attemted to go in to the house which he probably thought was his. I doubt he had any intentions of breaking in and robbing/raping/killing this lady.

Yeah of course it sucks for the lady. But it sucks for the guy too. The article says that the guy crashed his truck into a tree nearby and has previous alchohol related charges. This leads me to believe he had a drinking problem and that night he got absolutly hammered, blacked out, crashed his truck, and attemted to go in to the house which he probably thought was his. I doubt he had any intentions of breaking in and robbing/raping/killing this lady.

The guy was kicking in her locked door, then tossed a chair and a table through her window to try to get into her house.

You really think that it was a "misunderstanding?" :doh: Wow. :silly:

That other link said that he shouted threats at her when she saw him...the man is a piece of *****, period!! Another scumbag bagged!!

First, 23 minutes to respond to that situation is uncalled for...where did she live in the middle of absolutely nowhere??

Shouldn't she've pointed the gun at him and told him to leave, and THEN shot him? :whoknows:

much easier said than done, and like the previous poster said, he had 23 minutes of her yelling at him to stop- I would think that should be sufficient.

Not to judge, but I never once heard her yell at or warn him on the recording.

Yeah like you'd expect a female relative of yours to give away her location to a nut like him. If a female relative of yours followed your logic and was murdered you'd have no problem with others saying it was your fault, right?

And if she did she could have given away here position, lost her tactical advantage, and made herself a target if he was armed, I gives a damn if the guy was drunk or not he made concerted effort to break in, and when he successful he got what he deserved. You break into my house and the only sound you will hear is the bolt going forward on this baby

DSCN0316.jpg

right before you get a face full of 00 buck.

Yeah like you'd expect a female relative of yours to give away her location to a nut like him. If a female relative of yours followed your logic and was murdered you'd have no problem with others saying it was your fault, right?

Shoot to kill, then you don't have to worry about him coming back to haunt you.

Well when it is you life on the line you can certainly do it differently.

I certainly encourage putting your faith into action.

I was responding to the posts that intimated that she had done so. I simply stated that I didn't hear that happen on the recording and that I wasn't judging her actions in that situation.

You aren't really this thick, are you? Please tell me it's just an act.

Yeah, because im sure she didnt ask him to stop multiple times before he bust through her door or threw a chair through her window...are you kidding me?

much easier said than done, and like the previous poster said, he had 23 minutes of her yelling at him to stop- I would think that should be sufficient.

There are some areas where you have to be cornered to use deadly force. If there was an avenue of escape she would have been charged in the same situation.

I have some mixed feelings on this on. I'm all for protecting yourself, but as stated before,i did not hear her scream at him to stop or leave. I guess under the stand your ground law you can just wait for them.

I believe you should make your presence known (most burglas will flee)and/or try and remove yourself from that situation if at all possible, then and only then do you use deadly force. It should only be your last option, after all other have failed.

Maybe that only comes with training and being in situations.

The law is on her side, I hope she is ok, but in 23 min I can almost guarantee there were other things that could have been done. And the response time for the police is horrible, but if she lived in BFE understandable. Just hope he was someone trying to hurt her and not just blacked out trying to get inside what he thought was his. Guess we wont know.

There are some areas where you have to be cornered to use deadly force. If there was an avenue of escape she would have been charged in the same situation.

I have some mixed feelings on this on. I'm all for protecting yourself, but as stated before,i did not hear her scream at him to stop or leave. I guess under the stand your ground law you can just wait for them.

I believe you should make your presence known (most burglas will flee)and/or try and remove yourself from that situation if at all possible, then and only then do you use deadly force. It should only be your last option, after all other have failed.

Maybe that only comes with training and being in situations.

The law is on her side, I hope she is ok, but in 23 min I can almost guarantee there were other things that could have been done. And the response time for the police is horrible, but if she lived in BFE understandable. Just hope he was someone trying to hurt her and not just blacked out trying to get inside what he thought was his. Guess we wont know.

This incident is why every state should have a "Castle Doctrine" law, I should not have to flee my home because some ****bird tries to break in, and where do you get the idea that most burglers will flee, at that time of day most homes are occupied so they know exactly what they are getting into, an occupied home. Lastly you never give away any tactical advantage, and I really don't care nor does it matter why he was trying to break in he did and he won't be doing it again. Justice served.

From the LiveLeak article:

Jackson was home alone when her dog woke her up, Sheriff Mangion said. She turned all the lights in the house on and then armed herself with the shotgun. Her husband was not home, Mangion said.

She went into her kitchen and saw a man trying to break in. The man saw her and screamed threats at her, Mangion said. She told him she was armed and on the phone with police, he said.

So she was entirely justified in shooting this man. She gave fair warning, and he cursed at her in reply and violently broke in.

As unlikely as these things may be, they do happen. Reason #1 why I'm going to own a shotgun and/or handgun when I have my own place. And I'll make sure my girl's gonna know how to use them too.

A wise decision,the shotgun gets my endorsement for home defense for both effectiveness and added safety factors for the neighbors.

Archived