Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Redskins get the kind of radio support as other teams?

NewCliche21

Living in Columbia most of my life, then Baltimore, and now Delaware, I've always gotten Baltimore stations. I swear, every single one backs the Ravens 100% every single year. 98 Rock is the "flagship station" and is all about the Ravens during the season. Even 106.5 has a lot of Ravens coverage. On 94.1 in Philadelphia, the Eagles are always supported.

While I lived in Columbia and got DC stations, I never heard that. Cooley would call in on Elliot in the Morning, but that's it. With the Ravens especially, it is so pervasive that you can't go a day without hearing it from July to December, whether they're as good as they are now or losing to the 1-15 Dolphins.

Do the Redskins, maybe in DC or VA, get this kind of support on the radio, ever? Or is Redskins Nation just about getting $150 off at Empire Today (check your e-mails)?

Living in Columbia most of my life, then Baltimore, and now Delaware, I've always gotten Baltimore stations. I swear, every single one backs the Ravens 100% every single year. 98 Rock is the "flagship station" and is all about the Ravens during the season. Even 106.5 has a lot of Ravens coverage. On 94.1 in Philadelphia, the Eagles are always supported.

While I lived in Columbia and got DC stations, I never heard that. Cooley would call in on Elliot in the Morning, but that's it. With the Ravens especially, it is so pervasive that you can't go a day without hearing it from July to December, whether they're as good as they are now or losing to the 1-15 Dolphins.

Do the Redskins, maybe in DC or VA, get this kind of support on the radio, ever? Or is Redskins Nation just about getting $150 off at Empire Today (check your e-mails)?

I know what you mean. You hear about the Ravens up here 24/7 on the radio. Seems the Ravens are treated like kings around here. Maybe its because I don't listen to DC radio, but I don't get that same feeling about the Redskins.

Listen to Philly radio after they have a loss.

And I just found the Empire e-mail in my spam folder.

Well, to be fair, I've only lived in Delaware for one football season, and their losses have been limited.

However, coverage is coverage, and I just never have heard that kind of respect and market saturation that I hear on the Baltimore and Philadelphia stations.

Was it different back when we were, you know, not laughable?

The Redskins have only one official station and that's 980.

I think not having an FM presence the way they did in the 1990s hurts them today.

The Redskins seem real anal about who they'll let use their name. 106.7 The Fan is always careful not to use the word 'Redskins' in their promos and events that are based around the local NFL team.

The Redskins have only one official station and that's 980.

I think not having an FM prescence the way they did in the 1990s hurts them today.

The Redskins seem real anal about who they'll let use their name. 106.7 The Fan is always real careful not to use the word 'Redskins' in their promos and events that are based around the local NFL team.

Seriously?

That seems like the most counterproductive marketing ever.

I live in Ellicott City and I pick up ESPN 92.7 FM (sometimes with a little static) out of Prince Fredrick, MD which is a sister station to ESPN 980.

They air all of the ESPN 980 shows....and ESPN national shows.

So if you are in Columbia, MD you should get better reception than me.

I live in Ellicott City and I pick up ESPN 92.7 FM (sometimes with a little static) out of Prince Fredrick, MD which is a sister station to ESPN 980.

They air all of the ESPN 980 shows....and ESPN national shows.

So if you are in Columbia, MD you should get better reception than me.

Columbia *IS* Ellicott, silly!

Anyway, I wasn't clear in my OP. :doh:

I meant mainstream stations such as 98 Rock and 106.5 support the Ravens, but we don't have any mainstream stations supporting us, at least nothing that I could ever get in Columbia or Baltimore.

I stream alot of other teams post-game shows, and the Skins "post-game show" (if you want to call it a legit one) is by far the worst of any team's post-game shows, even the small market teams. I think it's all Danny's way of limiting the negativity by fans by controlling how the post-game show is structured i.e. lack of analysis & lack of phone calls.

It all has to do with how the Redskins treat the media they don't own.

You aren't going to make friends in Sportstalk by having your legal counsel go on the radio and complain about the Newspaper coverage. Its pathetic and shows they don't get it.

Also, the Ravens are better run organization from top to bottom. Regardless of their bandwagon fans. Doesn't matter. They treat their fans and the media much better than the Skins do.

WIP 610 in Philly is delicious after the Eagles lose. I listen to make myself feel better.

Listening to the Flyers post-game show on 610 after he 8-2 beatdown from the Caps last Saturday was pretty sweet. The fans there can't stand anything less than a blowout win from their teams. And even then they still find something to complain about.

Archived