Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN/USA Today Top 25 Coaches Poll

OrangeSkin

Nothing really surprising, except maybe Pitt at 11 and Florida all the way down at 21.

1. Oklahoma (29) 1,514 12-2 5

2. Ohio State (28) 1,495 14-0 1

3. Miami, Fla. (5) 1,448 12-1 2

4. Texas 1,291 11-2 7

5. Kansas State 1,165 11-2 6

6. Auburn (1) 1,153 9-4 16

7. Michigan 1,110 10-3 9

8. USC 1,075 11-2 4

9. Georgia 1,030 13-1 3

10. Virginia Tech 932 10-4 14

11. Pittsburgh 712 9-4 18

12. Florida State 711 9-5 23

13. Maryland 704 11-3 13

14. North Carolina State 682 11-3 11

15. LSU 662 8-5 NR

16. Tennessee 658 8-5 NR

17. Virginia 526 9-5 25

18. Notre Dame 515 10-3 17

19. Washington 459 7-6 NR

20. Wisconsin 348 8-6 NR

21. Florida 312 8-5 24

22. Purdue 305 7-6 NR

23. Arizona State 297 8-6 NR

24. Oklahoma State 159 8-5 NR

25. Colorado State 143 10-4 NR

25. Penn State 143 9-4 15

Does anyone else think the Maurice Clarett situation is probation waiting to happen for OSU? Knowing the integrity of that school, he definitely received "special academic help" and $6000 of audio and VIDEO equipment for his car. Remember Andy "I'm not here to get an education" Katzenmoyer?

Im predicting UVA to win the ACC this year. I don't see FSU beating them in charlottesville.

In my poll, I wanted to put Michigan ahead of OSU. I really dont like OSU's team all that much. One of their greatest strengths last year was their run D. Losing Peterson, Wilhelm, Doss, and Nickey. I think teams may be able to run it up the guy on them. Michigan is my pick to win the big 10.

I also am predicting ASU to win the Pac 10. Not sure why everyone is so high on USC, im sure theyll have some athletes. But I see no reason why they wouldnt return to what they were before Palmer became good. He used to be a horrible decision maker, and they are going to replace him with someone who lacks experience and im sure he doesnt have the ability of Palmer either. This guy wont have Kareem Kelly as his #2 WR either. USC always has good backs, but losing Fargas and Sultan will hurt. Everybody is so high on this team, but they wont win the Pac10. Probably wont even finish in the top 2.

Kstate is going to embarrass Nebraska this year. KState struggles on the road, but I dont think that will even be a factor. They will blow Nebraska out just as they did last year, only this time it wont be in mahatten. This will be a statement game.

Originally posted by Oldskool

What the h3ll is USC doing there?

I dont even know who the QB is this year. I wonder if ESPN/USA realize that Palmer is in the NFL now? :gus:

I was thinking the same thing. They do have a solid returning core (entire O-line, entire D-line for example as I recall), but also too many question marks at key positions to be ranked that high IMHO.

Yeah, but let's face it: The strength of the Big 12 is in the South.

It is a pity what's happened to Nebraska, now that they let 'em cancell the annual game against my Sooners.

(I've thought, if I was a Nebraska politician, I'd start a rumor that, if he looses the election, Tom Osborne might come back to coach.)

Originally posted by atlhawksfan

I also am predicting ASU to win the Pac 10. Not sure why everyone is so high on USC, im sure theyll have some athletes. But I see no reason why they wouldnt return to what they were before Palmer became good. He used to be a horrible decision maker, and they are going to replace him with someone who lacks experience and im sure he doesnt have the ability of Palmer either. This guy wont have Kareem Kelly as his #2 WR either. USC always has good backs, but losing Fargas and Sultan will hurt. Everybody is so high on this team, but they wont win the Pac10. Probably wont even finish in the top 2.

mike williams plays for them (USC) too. he's a monster, and only a sophomore.

Looking at this poll, I'm struck by what the ACC may well look like beginning in 2004. If you add Miami & VT to the ACC representation in 2004, you're looking at no less than 6 teams in the top 17:

1. Oklahoma (29) 1,514 12-2 5

2. Ohio State (28) 1,495 14-0 1

3. Miami, Fla. (5) 1,448 12-1 2

4. Texas 1,291 11-2 7

5. Kansas State 1,165 11-2 6

6. Auburn (1) 1,153 9-4 16

7. Michigan 1,110 10-3 9

8. USC 1,075 11-2 4

9. Georgia 1,030 13-1 3

10. Virginia Tech 932 10-4 14

11. Pittsburgh 712 9-4 18

12. Florida State 711 9-5 23

13. Maryland 704 11-3 13

14. North Carolina State 682 11-3 11

15. LSU 662 8-5 NR

16. Tennessee 658 8-5 NR

17. Virginia 526 9-5 25

18. Notre Dame 515 10-3 17

19. Washington 459 7-6 NR

20. Wisconsin 348 8-6 NR

21. Florida 312 8-5 24

22. Purdue 305 7-6 NR

23. Arizona State 297 8-6 NR

24. Oklahoma State 159 8-5 NR

25. Colorado State 143 10-4 NR

25. Penn State 143 9-4 15

Not hard to imagine FLA State back in the Top 5, either ... or UVA or VT workin their way into the Top 10.

The ACC: it ain't just for B-ball any more.

Hitman: As a graduate of the Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University, I would ask you to hold your tongue before you comment on OSU's academics. My college was ranked in the top 20 by US News and world report (http://fisher.osu.edu/news/2003/recognition/usnews-03-04.htm)

and is one of only 10 schools in the country that has both undergraduate and MBA programs in the top 20. It amuses me how much the media influences people, Clarett had trouble with an exam and asked for help, which he received. This type of assistance was and had been available to ALL students. The NY Times article on this matter quoted 2 sources: A dismissed TA who has since been in a mental health facility for 6 weeks and is currently homeless, and an associate professer who claims she was misquoted. Nobody from the athletic dept. or administration were ever interviewed by the reporter. This is a non-story if OSU is not the defending Nat'l Champs.

Regarding the most recent developments with Reece, I don't know if he did anything wrong. OSU is covering their asses by suspending him. The car in question did not belong to Mo, nor did the TV or stereo equipment, only the cash and CD's so please get your facts straight. Why he had the car, I don't know. Did he do something to jeopardize his eligibility, I guess we will have to wait and see. I for one think that a 2 game suspension or something of that nature will take place. I doubt OSU will face any probation. Remember Tenn. after they won it all in 1998? There was a ton of stuff flying around about them, but nothing ever came of it.

Also, regading Katzenmoyer, wait college players take easy classes? No way, I thought they were all chemistry, business, and engineer majors. (If you remember that story came out the year OSU was preseason #1) So, in closing check your facts before making asinine statements or the only job you'll be able to keep is with the New York Times. :)

P.S. Don't sleep on USC, they have both lines coming back and one of the top receivers in the country in Mike Williams. Remember, before last year Carson Palmer was considered a bust.

Lsu boys and girls at number 15! I expect LSU to finish in the top 10 this year. LSU's championship run will be next season and the season after. This year, QB is still a question mark with Mauck. Not because he is inexperienced, but because he lacks the arm to air it out to the receivers LSU has. LSU has the fastest group of receivers in the nation, I guarantee. Im thinking LSU goes 10-2 this year. Possible BCS bid. But 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 will be the years to shine for LSU. Nick Saban is doing a great job down in the Bayou. Watch out for Michael Clayton this year if Mauck can actually get him the ball this year. He is a beast at receiver! Number 14. Oh yeah, by the way..Auburn is over-rated. They are a Top 10 team, but at number 6, that is a big stretch. They have a great defense and a great set of running backs, but you can't put all of those running backs on the field at the same time. And their QB is average. What is all this talk of UVA, where have they come from? Anyone want to inform me on what they have been doing lately with their team, so I can know what to look for from them this year?

I think Lsu would have a legit chance to go to the Sugar Bowl this year if they didn't have such lingering question marks at Qb and Lb. The O-line and D-line are both very solid and could both be Top 5 in their respective rankings. The Rb's are above average, but still a little green. The secondary has Corey Webster, one of the best corners in the SEC. The secondary as a whole recorded the most interceptions last year in the SEC. And then finally the receivers. Perhaps the best group on the team. Michael Clayton and Devery Henderson lead the way. Michael Clayton when involved in the game can be the best the player in the SEC. Nice to see Dennis Dodd give him some respect in the CBS.Sportsline poll, and Devery Henderson is the one who caught the Blue Grass Miracle ball for a TD at the end of the game against Kentucky. But Matt Mauck just doesn't have the arm needed to air it out to our receivers..but I don't question his leadership abilities. Not at all. Im just hoping Matt Mauck can get LSU to a BCS bowl this year, I would be more than happy. And then pass the torch onto Jamarcus Russel or Matt Flynn, one of those two will be a stud for LSU at the QB position. Russel has a cannon of an arm and should be the ideal QB for Lsu's offensive scheme. Man I can't wait for football season to start. 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 should be good years for both LSU and the Skins. And this year both teams should be fun to watch, no doubt about it.

Originally posted by DeathByLinebacker

I'm happy the Gators are in the top-25 at all. I wouldn't have put them there.

dude, couldn't agree with you more -- though i'm sure hoping we surprise some people this year (including myself).

Originally posted by frankbones

Regarding the most recent developments with Reece, I don't know if he did anything wrong. OSU is covering their asses by suspending him. The car in question did not belong to Mo, nor did the TV or stereo equipment, only the cash and CD's so please get your facts straight. Why he had the car, I don't know. Did he do something to jeopardize his eligibility, I guess we will have to wait and see. I for one think that a 2 game suspension or something of that nature will take place.

I understand the desire to support a player for your team but -- man, this is a very rosy picture you paint. You are right that we will have to wait and see -- you are almost certainly wrong about the possible punishment.

1) You don't say anything about the fact that Clarett apparently lied to or misled the police and possibly an insurance agent concerning the value of items stolen from the vehicle. At best, this will likely result in misdemeanor obstruction charge, at worst felony insurance fraud carrying the possibility of prison. I represent insurance companies and believe me, they take claimant's lieing about stolen items very, very seriously.

2) Who did the car belong to? I'm still looking for an answer to that one. Its not like Joe Schmoe has stepped forward and said uhhhh, year I let Reece borrow my ride with the two plasmas and sweet music system. On the contrary, according to ESPN "The license plate on the car is registered to The Car Store Inc., a small dealership on the city's north side, according to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles." Dude, this could present some serious issue for Reece -- doesn't sound good at all to me (and I actually am a fan).

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0731/1587916.html

Look, there could be some amazing set of explanations that would actually viably expain the foregoing legitimately and OJ could actually be innocent -- but I doubt either one. If we're putting odds on this thing, I have some serious doubts on his eligibility. I hope for the best, but if I am a Buckeye -- i'm not holding my breath at having him back this year.

btw, this should not be construed in any way to suggest that there will likely be any sanctions against the school as based on the information that has come out thusfar, it appears to be an isolated incident.

Its good to see both Oklahoma schools there. OK State should have a good offense with Rashaun Woods coming back

The sooners defense should be even better than the last 2 years. They just need a QB who can throw the dame ball now that Griffin is a Bronco

Originally posted by NBlue

dude, couldn't agree with you more -- though i'm sure hoping we surprise some people this year (including myself).

Certainly there's some hope. The running game should be good, we have a couple of great players in the secondary, the entire Oline is back and Ben Troupe is probably going to have a big season, but we have to hope that Ingle Martin and all the young players in the defensive front 7 can adequately replace the losses from last season and at least one of the WRs takes the next step.

Plus there's the coaching :rolleyes:

Archived