Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So...who's ready to vote 3rd Party now?

@DCGoldPants

I don't think it's the same ol same ol and I'm very happy with what I see. Sorry but if anything my want for a third party is all but gone. I can see how republicans would want one though being that there don't seem to be very many economic conservatives and an over abundance of social conservatives (which really need a new name, being that they support an expansion of goverment)

I will never understand why we have political paries to begin with.

Let the best man/woman win.

That's because Wall Street and the elite bankers want to make sure they have a puppet that does exactly what they say. If you don't have the parties, the elite bankers will have a more difficult time grooming their puppet.

I think we're seeing it. Just not in the way I thought we would.

The Tea Bag movement, NY-23, even the minor party guy in NJ.

I dont think we will see a NAtional 3rd party to challenge D and R, but we will so local challenges. In fact, we already have 2 third party guys in the Senate, they just use a broad term "independant". Id rather see a bunch more rather than just 1 more big one.

That's because Wall Street and the elite bankers want to make sure they have a puppet that does exactly what they say. If you don't have the parties, the elite bankers will have a more difficult time grooming their puppet.

Good point.

Sad Point.

But still a good one.

I wonder if in our lifetime we will start to see many more people get elected based on their stances and beliefs seperate from the two main party lines.

If there's a serious 3rd party candidate who actually has a chance, absolutely. Otherwise, for the first time in my adult life, I'll forego voting. I feel cheated and in a lose/lose situation, quite honestly. I'm at the point where I no longer believe it makes any difference. The Dems and Repubs are just slightly different shades of the same color.

If you want to make third party viable in the US all you have to do is change the voting laws. Make it so that you can pick TWO candidates instead of one. If your first option is statistically eliminated your vote is cast for your second option. This would allow people to support third parties without becoming "a vote for the other guy!" and risking someone entirely opposed to their view being elected. I'm all for it.

Ending political parties however is a waste of time. When you need cooperation on the scale we are talking about in government, needing 50 to 60%, people are going to form teams. People just have a tough time realizeing that elected reps HAVE to do something to get their ideas voted on. This wrong minded nonsense that everything should be voted on via it own merits without any back room channels isn't how business gets done at any level. Small, medium, large, or government.

How about as a serious step, we remove the arcane law that the House must not consist of more than 435 members? We can leave the senate alone, as that's a number set by the Constitution and would require extraordinary steps to change it.

Here are some of the benefits of say....tripling the number of House members (just for argument's sake, we'll triple the number and not get too complicated):

-Significant increase and likelyhood of 3rd party candidates winning

-Much less "pork" spending (I'm using the simplistic "If there's not enough gum for everybody, than nobody can have any" philosophy)

-More equal representation (For example, Rhode Island has just over 1 million people and 2 House members, Montana has 967,000 people and 1 House member....something seems amiss there to me for a governmental body that's supposed to be based on population.)

-Perhaps a tad optimistic on my part, but if you have over 1200 members of the House, I would venture a guess that the incumbency rate would drop below 99%.

But that's just what I want to see.

I've voted 3rd party before and I listen to ALL candidates.

I want to start off by saying IMO, the American Green Party is a joke. I am registered as a Green Party voter because in the 2000 election, if they were able to get 5% of MD voters registered, it made them eligible for certain campaign finances as well as a right to be acknowledged in all debates.

So I registered specifically to help gain a 3rd party in MD not to mention in my younger, uneducated liberal years, I was a raging, unapologetic Nader fan.

I'm still registered as Green Party today for the same reasons listed above.

Years later, my political views have evolved and I have become much more conservative. Home ownership changed my mind about how our taxes are spent. I see far too much of my income being devoured by gov't and I'm sick of it. I also think MD is a fee based society that uses the DMV/MVA to suck tons of money out of the citizens.

In order for our country to survive into the next century, this current roster of politicians and political parties must be destroyed. I think these *******s are completely disconnected from the mentality of Americans. I don't think 80% of them truly represent the states they come from.

Socially liberal. Fiscally conservative. Is that too extreme of a political position 'cause that's all I ask.

I actually have long believed that this describes a majority of Americans. There simply isn't a party to represent them.

Archived