Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly Inq Antonio Dixon Story

pointyfootball

Nice story about player that played with the Skins in preseason. These type of stories always help me see the huge benefit of sports for a "lucky" few.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/78847707.html

Antonio Dixon has been in some strange places. An orphanage. Homeless shelters. Bunking with his big brother, Darrell.

Dixon never thought he would be here, on the goal line, stringing out a Redskins running play, the first defensive tackle off the Eagles' bench as an overweight, undrafted rookie.

Not here, hands in his blocker's chest, feet churning, technique perfect, suddenly, reading the Bears' running play and stopping it. Twice.

Read the play?

Shoot, not long ago, Dixon couldn't read, period.

In college, he couldn't digest defensive plays on paper. Still can't. His speech impediment has mostly disappeared. It only surfaces when he's nervous, when he's talking about his mother's rehab, or his drug-dealing father's 17-year jail stint, or his . . . well, that very speech impediment.

Dixon pauses, and kind of stutters, and his hand pats his chest, and his foot taps the floor. But he gets it out.

Without self-pity, and without self-consciousness, he gets it all out.

"I think about all of that a lot. A lot of people go through different things. I ain't the worst case," Dixon said. "Somebody in this league has been through worse than me."

He has no self pity. He is not self-conscious - his gift, said one former coach.

One current coach agreed.

"I'm speechless," defensive coordinator Sean McDermott said. "It's . . . I probably can't even fathom where he's come from, and where he is now in his life, and the type of person he is . . . that's what great stories are all about."

It is a great story. It's only getting better.

Follow the link for more.

PF

But Wynn is great for the locker room...:doh:

Seriously, I can't believe we let him go for Wynn - only for Dixon to block a FG and Wynn is still warming the bench.

Not to mention that Wynn has been cut and re-signed several times this season. Hell, I would have cut Anthony Montgomery if they wanted to keep Wynn so bad.

The people we get rid of...

Washington made a mistake getting rid of this kid. He's had nothing to do but climb mountains since he was a child. And he made it to the very top with the steepest hill.

We gave him his first opportunity, then passed on the blessings to a division rival. ****ing Great.

];7095524']The people we get rid of...

Washington made a mistake getting rid of this kid. He's had nothing to do but climb mountains since he was a child. And he made it to the very top with the steepest hill.

We gave him his first opportunity' date=' then passed on the blessings to a division rival. ****ing Great.[/quote']

Add this to the list of reasons Cerrato needs to go.

It makes absolutely no sense why they kept Wynn and let this guy go.

Man all throughout preseason I was loving this guy and saying that he should absolutely make the team. I still cannot believe we kept Wynn over Dixon, only to have Wynn inactive EVERY game this year . . . what a waste.

If it weren't for those two first rounders ahead of him in Philly he would be starting. Quite a talent for an undrafted rookie FA.

Archived