Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are people still clinging to the fantasy Dan will hire a GM first?

88Comrade2000

I know everyone would like for us to hire a GM and then the let GM pick the next coach. Well, that's just pure fantasy.

Dan Snyder will not do it. The recent play of his draft picks will give Vinny plenty of ammo to convince Dan not to fire him.

Dan will go after the big name coaches and if they want to bring in a GM type person, Dan will do that. Vinny would just get reassigned but he isn't going anywhere.

Whatever power Dan gives up will be going to the next head coach he hires. Giving that power to GM takes away to much from what Dan wants.

I thought around the Carolina game that if things just kept going down Dan might actually fire Vinny and hire a GM before getting a coach. At this point, after the way the team and some players Vinny picked have performed I think there is zero chance we get a GM anyway. If we were to get one, given the fact that Dan hired a head coach who already had an offensive and defensive coordinator in place for him, I wouldn't have a hard time believing that he could hire a coach before a GM.

Vinny isn't going anywhere...especially if Thomas, Kelly and Davis keep looking better.

And, Vinny can also take credit for the improved defensive line.

Some folks have let wishful thinking take over objective thinking.

The biggest problem is that I don't think Danny can even recognize a good football mind. I suspect we have a "Quarterback Problem" when you need to hire someone who knows what you don't and there are few valid indicators of future performance of such a person. In this case, a good GM maybe even knows things Danny doesn't know he doesn't know.

At this stage, I won't even deny the eye for talent. I think our draftees have done good in this limited stretch. The biggest problem, is the ignoring the key trouble areas (i.e. O-Line). No matter how well the others play, that still falls on Vinny's shoulders. Just think, if we had an OLB, Orakpo would be roughing it up where he should be. If the O-line was competent, we wouldn't have TWO RB's on IR, b/c they wouldn't take quite the beating. There is also NO DOUBT, we overcompensate for players (see Jason Taylor, A. Archuletta, etc.) This, again, falls on Vinny's shoulders. If you want to keep Vinny on as a talent evaluator... FINE, I really wouldn't mind it, but we need someone who knows how to build a team, PERIOD.

I am going to go ahead and bring up something very controversial, something that I started thinking about looking back on Portis' trade and how badly it limited our ability to build a team/holes it created long term.

Is it possible that the personnel moves of Gibbs II are just as much to blame for our lack of depth and current woes than those of Vinny? Neither is without fault, but is Vinny ignoring late round OL picks the past two years really worse than the disaster that was 2004 free agency, the 2005 draft, and only having a combined 2 picks in the first 4 rounds in 2006 and 2007?

Hindsight being 20/20, but is trading away a cover corner only to draft another the next year (effectively netting portis and rogers for bailey, a 1st and a 2nd) really a good strategy? How can you even being to seperate whos call was whos from 2004-2007?

I am no fan of much of what this front office has accomplished, but it not fair to kill Vinny for the Gibbs era, and then not recognize the strides that his draft selections the past 2 year have been making, the time where is is squarely on him. It is almost as if people want his selections (our players) to fail just so he will fail.

I still cling to the fantasy Dan will hire an football mind who will be given autonomy to build this team, but lets be honest here, Vinny is far from the sole reason we are who we are today.

I think regarding Vinny and Dan is that things aren't professional. Hiring a GM first because he should have a direction for the future and then bring in a coach who knows the deal and is an aggressive and attacking style. The o-line needs addressing along with other slots. who goes ,who stays there are many questions but without someone to guide this team in the proper steps..UNlike Vinny who gets some luck with picks but overall he bites the big one....IMHO......

HIre a GM first

:2cents:

I am going to go ahead and bring up something very controversial, something that I started thinking about looking back on Portis' trade and how badly it limited our ability to build a team/holes it created long term.

Is it possible that the personnel moves of Gibbs II are just as much to blame for our lack of depth and current woes than those of Vinny? Neither is without fault, but is Vinny ignoring late round OL picks the past two years really worse than the disaster that was 2004 free agency, the 2005 draft, and only having a combined 2 picks in the first 4 rounds in 2006 and 2007?

Hindsight being 20/20, but is trading away a cover corner only to draft another the next year (effectively netting portis and rogers for bailey, a 1st and a 2nd) really a good strategy? How can you even being to seperate whos call was whos from 2004-2007?

I am no fan of much of what this front office has accomplished, but it not fair to kill Vinny for the Gibbs era, and then not recognize the strides that his draft selections the past 2 year have been making, the time where is is squarely on him. It is almost as if people want his selections (our players) to fail just so he will fail.

I still cling to the fantasy Dan will hire an football mind who will be given autonomy to build this team, but lets be honest here, Vinny is far from the sole reason we are who we are today.

I agree that there is a lot of blame to go around, but the Portis/Bailey thing is not a very good point IMO. Bailey didn't want to be here, he made that known. We had to get what we could for him and at the time we desperately needed a RB. Although in hindight, if we could get picks for Bailey and draft better, we should maybe do that. But I think the trade worked out ok.

Vinny is a big part of the problem, yes he isn't the only reason, but he has a major part in hiring people and in the draft. If Danny keeps Vinny because his picks are starting to look good.....then he is looking at it WRONG.

So the guy made a few good picks, so what...lots of people can do that. He has not been able to BUILD through the draft.Look at the Colts, I'm not sure if it is still this way but at one point every starter on their team was a player they drafted, and look at their success.

How many starters on our team are players we drafted? How many have been our players since Vinny has been here? And of the starters we do have that are ours, how many were drafted to fit the system we currently run?

1. You get a real coach and gm.

2. You let that coach and gm work together to draft players who fit your system

3. You only get quality free agents that fit your system, along with some blue collar guys that work hard.

4. You believe in that coach and gm and give the time needed to be successful and LET it play out.

We are constantly bringing in new coaches, new systems while having players that don't fit..but before it has a chance to work, boom they're fired.

Sadly, I doubt Vinny will be gone and I don't think Danny will suddenly "get it". But in a perfect world he would realize he needs to start over and hand the operation over to someone who can do it.

Archived