Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per KTAR.com (former Redskins related) OL that got away

Champskins

http://ktar.com/?nid=229&sid=1239867

After meeting Jeremy Bridges at the Redskins Ridges event in August I was excited to see him as a player in the 'Skins uniform. This guy stood out there for a long time and signed autographs when he didnt have to and everyone thought he was Albert Haynesworth.. when they found out that he wasn't a starter or Big Al they all turned away and said they were wasting there time, not cool. Anyways, I am not sure if this is the right place to put this thread but I watched him last night as an Arizona Cardinal, playing out of position and taking on Jared Allen, arguiably the best DE in the league to date. We let him go instead of Heyer, Williams? I am sure they have a reason for it but it sure is depressing after seeing him last night for the previous Superbowl contenders. This is just some of the article I read.....

Whisenhunt singled out the superb play of Jeremy Bridges who was playing for the injured Mike Gandy. Bridges had to play against the feared Jared Allen who is second in the NFL with 12.5 sacks this season. Bridges was able to completely frustrate Allen as he became a complete non-factor in the game with zero tackles and zero sacks.

Even more impressive was that this game was Bridges' first start at left tackle in his career.

"Jeremy stepped right in and did a great job. There's a toughness about Jeremy that really displays the qualities that you really like to see in an offensive lineman. He's fit in very well with our group," said Whisenhunt.

I dont mean to be offensive, BUT why do we have theses threads?!? Lets talk about the players on our squad or that are available!!
It is Redskins related, that can stir a debate our Front Office. Maybe it may not be the topic you want to discuss, but there are a lot of other topics you might enjoy more.

As far as the OP, I too like Bridges and did not understand us letting him go. I scratched my head a bunch of times over us letting some players go, and holding on to some others way too long.

I met Tim Ryan, from FOX and Sirius NFL Radio, this summer at the Jets training camp. This was the day Heyer went down, he said he believed if all guys were healthy, Jeremy Bridges was the best RT on our team. He expects Bridges to start vs. the Giants (week 1) if we don't add any RTs.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6614102&postcount=37

So much for that.

I don't think anybody around here felt Bridges was an answer for us. Hindsight.

Bridges WAS the answer, if the question was "Do we have a decent backup with solid NFL experience who can play guard and tackle?" And given our aging line and question marks going into camp, that was a pretty important question. As I said, I was puzzled by him getting cut.

More specifically, why was Bridges let go and Batiste kept?

Age and salary cap. You guys have to remember that unfortunately some of our player moves in August were in direct relation to us being butt up against the cap. That's alot of reasons why we can't keep quality backups like Bridges. Because Samuels and Randy Thomas (mr. Injury) are making more than some quarterbacks salary wise.

We don't have very smart people making the calls in this organization.

Nor do we have many that can recognize talent--even when they watch it practice every single day.

I remember an analyst, not employed by the Skins, saying that in camp for the Skins Bridges showed the Redskins what the rest of the league knew, he was a guard, not a tackle.

I was never impressed by Heyer and I don't know why the coaches went with him.

I don't think anybody around here felt Bridges was an answer for us. Hindsight.

Bridges WAS the answer, if the question was "Do we have a decent backup with solid NFL experience who can play guard and tackle?" And given our aging line and question marks going into camp, that was a pretty important question. As I said, I was puzzled by him getting cut.

Bridges wasn't cut from Carolina because he lacked ability. They saved money when they released him and him being arrested made it easier to let him go

I met Tim Ryan, from FOX and Sirius NFL Radio, this summer at the Jets training camp. This was the day Heyer went down, he said he believed if all guys were healthy, Jeremy Bridges was the best RT on our team. He expects Bridges to start vs. the Giants (week 1) if we don't add any RTs.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6614102&postcount=37

So much for that.

I kind of scratched my head when he was cut, like we had guys so much better. Good gravy this team don't know jack about developing talent.

This is a real issue with this team. For the past several years we have let players go and then those players have moved on to other teams and been successful. This trend happens with other teams but the playoff bound teams know which players to retain and seem to make the right personnel decisions. Keeping Bridges would have helped our team be more successful this year. Our GM has to be held more accountable for team personnel decisions.

He would've made a better back up than Batiste for sure. Batiste has looked god awful every time he's been put in the lineup.
But Heyer and Batiste are cheap, and Bridges, not so cheap. Plus, Batiste and Heyer prove Vinny right if they ever amount to anything.

Face it. This team is never going to spend a draft pick in the top rounds while Vinny is here. Once you realize the inevitable, it becomes easier to shake your head and laugh at the Redskins FO.

I remember an analyst, not employed by the Skins, saying that in camp for the Skins Bridges showed the Redskins what the rest of the league knew, he was a guard, not a tackle.

Bridges really struggled in camp at tackle, which is a big reason why he didn't make the team. I guess more power to him that he was able to turn things around, but you don't count on such things happening with reserves, who you need to have the flexibility to play multiple positions.

Archived