Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter: QB production separate Skins from NFC East

gorebd82

This guy hasn't seen our "Clutch" thread. I'm guessing McNabb and Romo sits to pee don't count as clutch since they failed at their bigger clutch moments.

I would say OL is what is the main difference. More than QB or any other skill spot.

That falls on the front office, which has been reiterated too many times on this site...

most of the good QBs behind him have less yards because of missed games. mcnabb, hasselbeck, ryan, even stafford averages the same amount of yards per game.

the only good QB having a pedestrian year is palmer, because the bengals run the ball 50 times a game.

I see ... except errm.... Palmer has a massive 5 attempts less than Campbell . Does that mean you ARE excusing Campbell because we run the ball so much ?

most of the good QBs behind him have less yards because of missed games. mcnabb, hasselbeck, ryan, even stafford averages the same amount of yards per game.

the only good QB having a pedestrian year is palmer, because the bengals run the ball 50 times a game.

And yet, even Palmer has multiple game-winning drives this year. :(

please tell me when campbell has led us to a win with under 3 minutes remaining in the game. surely in 47 starts you can find one.
Ah, now you're moving the goal posts based on arbitrary criteria. Here are some examples of Campbell leading late "game-winning or trying drives," which is what the other poster asked for...........

-Carolina 2006

-Miami 2007

-NYJ 2007

-NO 2008

-@ Dallas 2008

-STL 2008

-SF 2008

The following aren't exactly game-winning scores, but he led time-consuming drives that allowed us to milk the clock......

-Arizona 2008

-@ Philly 2008

I see ... except errm.... Palmer has a massive 5 attempts less than Campbell . Does that mean you ARE excusing Campbell because we run the ball so much ?

im not excusing palmer at all. thats why i said hes having a pedestrian year.

my point with that comment was theyve become a major run first offense vs when palmer used to heave it around all day long. now theyre a clock chewing running team.

however, palmer has led some impressive comebacks this year. hes still a stud.

The only one of those whom you listed that JC doesn't have a higher ypg than is McNabb.

Ah, now you're moving the goal posts based on arbitrary criteria. Here are some examples of Campbell leading late "game-winning or trying drives," which is what the other poster asked for...........

-Carolina 2006

-Miami 2007

-NYJ 2007

-NO 2008

-@ Dallas 2008

-STL 2008

-SF 2008

The following aren't exactly game-winning scores, but he led time-consuming drives that allowed us to milk the clock......

-Arizona 2008

-@ Philly 2008

Well, first of all, I don't consider a scoring drive in the first half of the 4th quarter the same thing. It's nice, but not the same thing. To me, that removes Carolina and New Orleans from your list. I don't understand the @Dallas mention since we were winning by 9 points in that game until the very end. I also won't count the Rams or 49ers games, though I'll admit he did drive us down the field to tie or take the lead in those games.

Lastly, over the past couple of days I've claimed that he's NEVER brought us back to win in the closing seconds (which is still true). However, your inclusion of the Dolphins and Jets from 2007 are two games I never considered. He won those two games for us in OT so I'd be remiss not to count that since the entire OT period is a "do-or-die" situation.

Nice post overall, I'd just like to see him actually march us down the field to win the game more often.

Schefter is right on, but I think he's leaving a part out of the equation that at least in my eyes, is the biggest problem for this team. The offensive line.

When our OL was playing well we had people talking about Campbell as an early season MVP. Our 6-2 start was predicated on a strong running game and good to great offensive line play.

Over the past few weeks Campbell has had a resurgence of sorts and guess what, it just so happens that Buges troops have been playing their guts out and have been able to give Campbell solid protection.

The way I see it what sets Washington apart is the offensive line. That's what the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys all have had in common over the years, and it's not surprising to see the Cowboys starting to sputter all of a sudden with their best lineman missing time.

This is where it needs to start for this team, in the trenches. It's been regurgitated and talked about on this board ad nauseam over the years and before that issue isn't addresses, this team isn't going to go anywhere.

We've had RG and RT to solve before the season and we didn't. We've had depth issues along the OL to address and we didn't.

It's really that simple, and Washington fans of all people should realize this. Gibbs started this tradition and he built a dynasty that was predicated around outstanding line play and that's what has to be the teams focus over the offseason.

-Carolina 2006

-Miami 2007

-NYJ 2007

-NO 2008

-@ Dallas 2008

-STL 2008

-SF 2008

-Arizona 2008

-@ Philly 2008

carolina - a TD with over 10 minutes left is not a game winning drive.

miami - a 58 yard drive in OT that consisted of 2 passing plays, for 12 yards. you can have this if youd like, but that was portis and betts grinding down a 1-15 dolphins team.

NYJ - lol, campbell threw one pass in overtime, a short pass to cooley (probably a screen) for 17 yards, the rest were runs, and a field goal. but again, if youd like to call this campbell leading a game winning drive, well the bar continues to sink.

NO - closest hes ever gotten. a TD bomb with 3+ minutes left in the 4th quarter.

dallas - we never trailed in this game ever. there was no comeback.

STL - nice drive with tons of running to put us up with over 3 minutes to go, but we lost.

SF - his TD rush got us to a tie. and we lost

do these examples impress you from a QB standpoint?

This guy hasn't seen our "Clutch" thread. I'm guessing McNabb and Romo sits to pee don't count as clutch since they failed at their bigger clutch moments.

I would say OL is what is the main difference. More than QB or any other skill spot.

If the league finally grows some balls and suspends that sleazebag Flozell Adams, we'll get to see what the Cowboys look like with a mess of an offensive line for once. Even if it's just for one game.

The only one of those whom you listed that JC doesn't have a higher ypg than is McNabb.

hes got more YPG than ryan, hasselbeck, and palmer. this is true.

by the way, did anyone catch the GB/BAL game last night? i really hope someday we can get a QB like rodgers in here. dude is just so good and so accurate. itd be awesome to look forward to seeing that every sunday.

I wouldn't say the defense is the sole reason. We gave up 7 points to the Cowboys and lost. That's not the defene's fault. Yes they should've made a stop when it matters, but you're not gonna beat many teams by scoring only 6 points. You also don't lose many games only allowing 7.

Its also tough to blame them in the Saints game too. If Suisham doesn't miss that FG we win. Yes the defense could've made a stop, but home many teams have been able to stop the Saints this year?

So I'd say the defense is more responisble for the Eagles game, but you can't really blame them for the other 2.

Sorry, when you give up 400 yds passing & at least two blown coverages for 14 pts, you're going to get a broadside or two. They had a two score lead the last two games & lost. How "vaunted" is this defense? I remember everybody saying "if this Offense can get 21 points, we're a playoff team." Well the offense has reared its head, what's the defense's excuse? That's the trouble with stats: they give you a false sense of what your eyes can see. Hell, they couldn't stop Delhomme in a bad year, a shot Larry Johnson, or rookie Matt Stafford when they HAD to, & they get a break? Not here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814c990e&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

click link for entire article

Five QBs getting hot

With a month to go in the regular season, a number of teams really need to see significant improvement in their quarterback play, and Week 13 was a very good sign that the arrow is pointed up.

Alex Smith of the 49ers, Jason Campbell of the Redskins and even Brady Quinn of the Browns played well in losing efforts. As club executives gather information to make an intelligent business decision in the offseason, this week helps the cause of those three quarterbacks.

Two other signal callers really impressed me in winning efforts: Bruce Gradkowski and Chad Henne. The Raiders and Dolphins were supposed to be on the losing end of their Week 13 games, but both passers threw for more than 300 yards and looked like guys you can build a team around.

Did they also mention that these 3 Qb's are the king at throwing the check down. Campball may get 200 to 300 yards passing per game but the ball travels in the air for most games an avg. of 10 yards per pass(except for the N.O. game) were he happened to have his best passing game ever because did finally hit some deep balls. He is not the answer. Anybody who believes that is a fool.

carolina - a TD with over 10 minutes left is not a game winning drive.
It happened with under 4:30 to go.
miami - a 58 yard drive in OT that consisted of 2 passing plays, for 12 yards. you can have this if youd like, but that was portis and betts grinding down a 1-15 dolphins team.
The other poster asked for "game-winning or tying drives." His criteria, not mine.
NYJ - lol, campbell threw one pass in overtime, a short pass to cooley (probably a screen) for 17 yards, the rest were runs, and a field goal. but again, if youd like to call this campbell leading a game winning drive, well the bar continues to sink.
Again, I'm not the one who set the bar.
NO - closest hes ever gotten. a TD bomb with 3+ minutes left in the 4th quarter.
More arbitrary criteria.
dallas - we never trailed in this game ever. there was no comeback.
He led us on a FG late in the 4th that proved to be the game-winner, as we had 23 points prior to the FG, which wouldn't have been enough, provided that Dallas still managed to score a TD when they got the ball back.
STL - nice drive with tons of running to put us up with over 3 minutes to go, but we lost.
"Game-winning or tying drives."
SF - his TD rush got us to a tie. and we lost
See above.
do these examples impress you from a QB standpoint?
Some, yes. Others, no.

Archived