Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter: QB production separate Skins from NFC East

gorebd82

Yeah, that erases everything else.

Everything else like what?

The 3 consecutive games where we've had leads late in the fourth quarter only for our defense to choke each and everytime under pressure and to force Campbell to single handedly save the day?

:secret: Adam, it's been the OL... duh

and play calling.... duh

since Sherm started calling plays, and Buges has gotten some stability the past couple weeks from the OL.... look at the Campbell and the offense's production

I agree Bubba......But it's a HARD sell fella !!!

Everything else like what?

The 3 consecutive games where we've had leads late in the fourth quarter only for our defense to choke each and everytime under pressure and to force Campbell to single handedly save the day?

You're thinking his 2 previous games were anywhere near the level of yesterday's? The performance yesterday was an oasis in the desert, so to speak.

:secret: Adam, it's been the OL... duh

and play calling.... duh

since Sherm started calling plays, and Buges has gotten some stability the past couple weeks from the OL.... look at the Campbell and the offense's production

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Two thumbs up ....people hate on JC just because it's become habit for them. They wont admit he played right with or better than Drew Brees (the NFL MVP) There was even a thread right after the game and Campbell was one of the choices on who cost us the game :doh:. Since Sherm took over the play calling 2 things have changed...the Skins 3rd down conversions have been solid to say the least...due to better play calling on 1st and 2nd downs and Sherm opening up the passing game..now the defense has to cover the entire field on 3rd downs not just Cooley or Davis. Oh yeah Sherm also reminded Zorn that Devin Thomas is on the team and should be made a part of the offense.

You're thinking his 2 previous games were anywhere near the level of yesterday's? The performance yesterday was an oasis in the desert, so to speak.

Thank you. We lost the Cowboys game 7-6. I wish people would stop talking about JC and these 3 great games. 6 points does not qualify as a good game.

Jason Campbell's career record is 19-29. He's had 6 300 yard games in 48 tries. Sorry, but that's just not good enough. Having two games a year like that will never win us a championship.

Never implied or said that in any way.

The game against Dallas was a grudge match, a defensive struggle. Campbell made more plays and also outplayed Romo sits to pee throughout the entirety of the game. He put the Redskins in position to have a 12 - 0 lead. Unfortunately, we missed a few field goals. Dallas got the ball on their final possession and completely dominated our defense on their way to taking the lead. Yea you can blame Campbell for only leading up to 6 points, but he had us in a position to win, and in control of the game for over 58 minutes.

Philadelphia was the same story. Campbell made several key plays, escaping pressure and hitting guys, to put us in position to win the ball game. We were up by 8 points, and had full control of the game with 7 minutes left in the game. That's when Philly got the ball back, drove 90 yards and scored on our defense, converting a 2 point conversion and snatching all momentum from our team.

Our defense can be creditted as the sole reason for our current 0-3 skid. They completely collapsed when it mattered the most in our 3 past games. No one ever looks at this. A lot of people just blame this on Campbell "not coming through in the clutch." I'm not arguing Campbell is clutch... nothing he has done has pointed to him being clutch. He certainly has put this team in the position to win each of the last 3 games though. He also is certaintly not the biggest problem/issue with this team.

Schefter is just wrong...

JC has been playing better as of late. Play calling and Oline play, as others have said, have contributed to that play.

However, you have to throw JC in the mix as a reason.

Play calling, Oline and JC were causes for the losses. I think you have to blame all three.

And that's why next year we should be addressing all three areas. New coach, new line, new QB. And Vinny shouldn't be in charge. Good for personnel, bad for organizational culture and direction.

Our defense can be creditted as the sole reason for our current 0-3 skid. They completely collapsed when it mattered the most in our 3 past games. No one ever looks at this. A lot of people just blame this on Campbell "not coming through in the clutch." I'm not arguing Campbell is clutch... nothing he has done has pointed to him being clutch. He certainly has put this team in the position to win each of the last 3 games though. He also is certaintly not the biggest problem/issue with this team.

Schefter is just wrong...

I wouldn't say the defense is the sole reason. We gave up 7 points to the Cowboys and lost. That's not the defene's fault. Yes they should've made a stop when it matters, but you're not gonna beat many teams by scoring only 6 points. You also don't lose many games only allowing 7.

Its also tough to blame them in the Saints game too. If Suisham doesn't miss that FG we win. Yes the defense could've made a stop, but home many teams have been able to stop the Saints this year?

So I'd say the defense is more responisble for the Eagles game, but you can't really blame them for the other 2.

When exactly did he have a stud line? What's that? Oh he hasn't and you're just speculating.

Didn't say he ever had a stud line. I'm saying a stud line doesn't solve his weaknesses. Would he play a little better behind one? Sure, so would I. A stud line makes him average on one of his good days. Gives him an extra second to miss a guy on a bad day. He is what he is, on one of his good days, an average QB. That's not good enough to move this team in the right direction. His play is a major component of the problem here. Last week doesn't change that.

I wouldn't say the defense is the sole reason. We gave up 7 points to the Cowboys and lost. That's not the defene's fault. Yes they should've made a stop when it matters, but you're not gonna beat many teams by scoring only 6 points. You also don't lose many games only allowing 7.

Its also tough to blame them in the Saints game too. If Suisham doesn't miss that FG we win. Yes the defense could've made a stop, but home many teams have been able to stop the Saints this year?

So I'd say the defense is more responisble for the Eagles game, but you can't really blame them for the other 2.

My main point is that a lot of folks talk about Jason Campbell and his lack of being a clutch player.

Yet at the same time, our defense, and pretty much every player on our team has performed worse in the clutch.

A good example is the fact that there have been more discussion over Campbell's interception against N.O. than over Seller's fumble that sealed the game.

My main point is that a lot of folks talk about Jason Campbell and his lack of being a clutch player.

Yet at the same time, our defense, and pretty much every player on our team has performed worse in the clutch.

A good example is the fact that there have been more discussion over Campbell's interception against N.O. than over Seller's fumble that sealed the game.

Most defenses can't protect a lead forever. There is some responsiblity on the offense to increase a lead and put the other team away.

I find it very unfair that our top 5 defense gives up a play or two and they get the blame. Why is our defense expected to be perfect and Campbell is defended for being below average?

Now that's true. JC hasn't made clutch plays, but alot of others haven't either. I think that comes down to coaching for me.

I wasn't a big JC supporter, but he has played better as of late, not great, but better. I don't think it would hurt to give him a one year deal and tell him he has to compete for the job.

The difference is our defense HAS won us a game before by getting a stop and getting the opposition off the field. Our offense (led by Campbell though admittedly not entirely on his shoulders) has never, ever done that late in the game.

So, even though lately our defense has been suspect when asked to hold a late lead, it does have at least SOME track record of doing so. So, by the very definition of "clutch" the defense is somewhat clutch while the Campbell-led offense has never, ever brought us back to tie or win a game in the closing minutes.

I'm indifferent about JC, however if you look at other NFCE QB's, here's how they faired in games where the D allowed more than 16 points:

Romo sits to pee - record 5-2

McNabb - record 4-3

Manning - record 5-5

JC - record 1-7

I'd say Schefter is correct. The other QB's are finding ways to win even when their D's are giving up points.

Now that's true. JC hasn't made clutch plays, but alot of others haven't either. I think that comes down to coaching for me.

I wasn't a big JC supporter, but he has played better as of late, not great, but better. I don't think it would hurt to give him a one year deal and tell him he has to compete for the job.

What makes you think campbell would accept a deal given how he has been treated by this front office and this fanbase? Unless hes given a top dollar multi-year deal(which he wont and probably shouldnt) he will not be back imo.

I agree with the article. The Skins had a solid line in 2007 and ancient Todd Collins led them to the playoffs. Campbell has played well for 2 games, maybe 3 this year and people are wanting to keep him now. I am not fooled. Even Heath Shuler had 3 good games. It's sad that the expecations have been lowered to this level...

Campbell cannot bring a team back from a deficit -when the pressure is on he usually throws an INT.

This team still needs to be blown up. Time for a new coach, QB, o-line, philosophy, GM and now, kicker.

people say this all the time. but what most don't realize is that in the crunch time, the defenses usually bring their absolute best to the table. their most elaborate blitz packages, etc. if the line doesn't hold up then it's success up until that point doesn't matter. jc gets hurried and the result is the same story.

get a line that can protect him in the clutch and he'll come through in the clutch.

I'm indifferent about JC, however if you look at other NFCE QB's, here's how they faired in games where the D allowed more than 16 points:

Romo sits to pee - record 5-2

McNabb - record 4-3

Manning - record 5-5

JC - record 1-7

I'd say Schefter is correct. The other QB's are finding ways to win even when their D's are giving up points.

This is a legimate argument, but do the Redskins have a comparable offensive line to those teams? Or receivers that have known what they're supposed to do since week 1?

What makes you think campbell would accept a deal given how he has been treated by this front office and this fanbase? Unless hes given a top dollar multi-year deal(which he wont and probably shouldnt) he will not be back imo.

Well if there is an uncapped year, he becomes a restricted FA. Plus, if he doesn't get many offers from other teams, why wouldn't he come back. I'm sure he likes the players.

This is a legimate argument, but do the Redskins have a comparable offensive line to those teams? Or receivers that have known what they're supposed to do since week 1?

The OL complaint is valid, but let's not ignore that Campbell had a pretty good OL in 2006, 2007, and the first half of 2008 (before it wore down). In fact, you could make the argument that during that period, our OL was one of our strengths, so it's not like he's been running for his life since he became the starter.

Archived