Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter: QB production separate Skins from NFC East

gorebd82

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4722581&name=schefter_adam

Q: How close are the Redskins from being able to compete in the NFC East again? Is a new coach really going to solve all their problems, or do they need new talent, too?

-- Aaron (Washington, D.C.)

A: Loving these questions that provide double answers that have validity. The Redskins are not at the level of the Cowboys, Eagles or Giants right now, but they're not far off, either. The biggest difference between the Redskins and the rest of the teams in the NFC East is the play they are getting at quarterback. Now, I don't know whether it's the coaching, the play calling or the quarterback himself -- or maybe all three -- but the production the Redskins have gotten out of Jason Campbell does not match what the Cowboys have gotten from Tony Romo sits to pee, the Eagles have gotten from Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb, or the Giants have gotten from Eli Manning. It's a quarterback league, and that's where the Redskins seem to be trailing right now. Special teams play hasn't exactly helped, either. If Shaun Suisham had made the kicks he should have this season, Washington's record would be two wins better. But any coach who goes in there is going to have to figure out how to get better and more consistent play out of the quarterback position -- whether it's with Campbell or someone else.

-----

Thought I'd post the perspective of a media member from outside the beltway.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4722581&name=schefter_adam

Q: How close are the Redskins from being able to compete in the NFC East again? Is a new coach really going to solve all their problems, or do they need new talent, too?

-- Aaron (Washington, D.C.)

A: Loving these questions that provide double answers that have validity. The Redskins are not at the level of the Cowboys, Eagles or Giants right now, but they're not far off, either. The biggest difference between the Redskins and the rest of the teams in the NFC East is the play they are getting at quarterback. Now, I don't know whether it's the coaching, the play calling or the quarterback himself -- or maybe all three -- but the production the Redskins have gotten out of Jason Campbell does not match what the Cowboys have gotten from Tony Romo sits to pee, the Eagles have gotten from Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb, or the Giants have gotten from Eli Manning. It's a quarterback league, and that's where the Redskins seem to be trailing right now. Special teams play hasn't exactly helped, either. If Shaun Suisham had made the kicks he should have this season, Washington's record would be two wins better. But any coach who goes in there is going to have to figure out how to get better and more consistent play out of the quarterback position -- whether it's with Campbell or someone else.

-----

Thought I'd post the perspective of a media member from outside the beltway.

Add to that woeful offensive line play. I don't think Campbell will be anything more than a "caretaker" QB. He still consistantly misses wide-open receivers. Anyone can see that. But the offensive line needs to be fixed.

Years of neglect by C. Montgomery Snyder and Waylon Cerrato have completely undermined what was once a very good O-line.

You mean the McNabb who is constantly booed for his lack luster performances by Eagles fans ...

and the Romo sits to pee who is under constant criticism for not having his head fully in the game and choking under pressure?

Well, at least we know what we need to shoot for to compete in the East.

He's right ...

Production from probably the most important position is a huge difference between us and them.

But, horrible development by this team of JC, paying zero attention to the O-line, bad play calling, and injuries and no depth have been big reasons why QB production is down. Not to mention instability with offensive systems.

Now, JC is not with out fault. His ability to somehow pull it out in the end of close games, his happy feet, and his inabilit to throw to covered receivers and give them a chance to make plays also play a role, a big one.

I agree with the article. The Skins had a solid line in 2007 and ancient Todd Collins led them to the playoffs. Campbell has played well for 2 games, maybe 3 this year and people are wanting to keep him now. I am not fooled. Even Heath Shuler had 3 good games. It's sad that the expecations have been lowered to this level...

Campbell cannot bring a team back from a deficit -when the pressure is on he usually throws an INT.

This team still needs to be blown up. Time for a new coach, QB, o-line, philosophy, GM and now, kicker.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814c990e&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

click link for entire article

Five QBs getting hot

With a month to go in the regular season, a number of teams really need to see significant improvement in their quarterback play, and Week 13 was a very good sign that the arrow is pointed up.

Alex Smith of the 49ers, Jason Campbell of the Redskins and even Brady Quinn of the Browns played well in losing efforts. As club executives gather information to make an intelligent business decision in the offseason, this week helps the cause of those three quarterbacks.

Two other signal callers really impressed me in winning efforts: Bruce Gradkowski and Chad Henne. The Raiders and Dolphins were supposed to be on the losing end of their Week 13 games, but both passers threw for more than 300 yards and looked like guys you can build a team around.

To tell you the truth, I'd rather have Campbell than Romo sits to pee.

McNabb is an okay QB, and Eli is...Eli.

I think the NFC East has a bunch of average QB's overall.

I'd probably rank them :

McNabb

Eli

Romo sits to pee

Campbell

Romo sits to pee and Campbell are really interchangable though. Every Dallas fan I know is about sick of Romo sits to pee, and I've heard plenty that wouldn't mind seeing him go.

well in a since he is right and in a since he is wrong

Passing yards= Tony Romo sits to pee=3325 Eli Manning=2925 Donovan McNabb=2427 JC=2724

Passer Rating= Tony Romo sits to pee=96.3 Eli Manning=89.2 Donovan McNabb=94.7 JC=87.7

TD's-INT's = Tony Romo sits to pee=+13 Eli Manning=+9 Donovan McNabb=+10 JC=+3

Jason Campbell is clearly slightly behind the rest of the Division in production, but still in the top half of the league in most stats. The difference in production between him and the rest of the NFC East QB's clearly does not account for the difference in wins. He just had to come up with a quick answer to a question and didnt bother to do any analysis beforehand.

I agree with the article. The Skins had a solid line in 2007 and ancient Todd Collins led them to the playoffs. Campbell has played well for 2 games, maybe 3 this year and people are wanting to keep him now. I am not fooled. Even Heath Shuler had 3 good games. It's sad that the expecations have been lowered to this level...

Campbell cannot bring a team back from a deficit -when the pressure is on he usually throws an INT.

This team still needs to be blown up. Time for a new coach, QB, o-line, philosophy, GM and now, kicker.

A rookie QB next year ain't gonna do anything special behind our OL. We should draft a rookie QB and let him sit for a half a year or a full year while JC takes the punishment that he's been taking this year. We're not gonna suddenly be a great team just by putting a rookie in. And if JC does perform well, we could then trade him for whatever we can get and put our rookie in after 1 full year in the NFL. Just seems rational and logical to me.

It's a shame the Raiders didn't draft Calvin Johnson instead of Russell. That could have been a good offense- CJ, DHB, Murphy, Schillens, McFadden, Fargas, and Miller would all put up good numbers.

JC has looked good recently. In all honesty, he's done everything a good QB needs to do except one. I sincerely believe that 100% of ES would support JC if he could just do one thing-win. In all his time in DC he's never been a winner except for the first half of a strange season. Putting us in position to win isn't enough anymore Jason.

A rookie QB next year ain't gonna do anything special behind our OL. We should draft a rookie QB and let him sit for a half a year or a full year while JC takes the punishment that he's been taking this year. We're not gonna suddenly be a great team just by putting a rookie in. And if JC does perform well, we could then trade him for whatever we can get and put our rookie in after 1 full year in the NFL. Just seems rational and logical to me.

I'd be happier sitting the rookie and getting some trade value for Campbell before next season instead of letting his contract expire (RFA tag) and getting no value in 2011. To trade him in 2011, he'd have to play well enough to warrant a franchise tag and the chances of that are slim. If we're going to have a one year QB, then let it be Collins, Brennan or sign Garcia.

Well get our franchise Qb in the draft this april, im not worried.

That's what I'm thinking too. We really are a few offensive linemen and a QB away from competing in the division.

The defense is generally good, our young WRs are proving their worth week after week and the running game just looked like it needed someone besides Portis back there.

This guys a frigging joke in my book. If you follow his reporting it's probably 50% correct at best, and seems to be based more on his own biased DIP%?$# way of thinking instead of actual reporting facts. It does'nt bother me when other fans hate on the Skins( WELLL... ) But when So Called reporters use that dislike or even hate to skew their reporting, I throw them in that same pile with all the other Agenda Driven so called reporters and news worthy people. Again, what a FRIGGING TWEEB !!! HAIL!!!

Yeah its amazing, everytime JC doesn't suck really bad, we get the he's improving and not the problem nonsense. :doh: He is problem number one of three problems. His problems are well established after 5 years. A stud line doesn't solve all his weaknesses. It would just make him good enough when he is having an "on" day.

None of the QB's in the NFC East are world beaters to be honest...

Romo sits to pee is having a good year... McNabb and Eli aren't elite.

The main difference is offensive line play and coaching. The Redskins coaches are scared of their shadow, they never take chances. They play everything safe and "medium".

Our defense is also a huge factor. We have the worst 4th quarter defense in the NFL by a wide margin. (Don't go look up stats, that wasn't a factual statement, we just have a constant habit of giving up 4th quarter leads game after game)

Yeah its amazing, everytime JC doesn't suck really bad, we get the he's improving and not the problem nonsense. :doh: He is problem number one of three problems. His problems are well established after 5 years. A stud line doesn't solve all his weaknesses. It would just make him good enough when he is having an "on" day.

When exactly did he have a stud line? What's that? Oh he hasn't and you're just speculating.

Archived