Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FWST - Phillips lacks in logic while Cowboys lack any urgency

HapHaszard

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1815264.html

The 9-3 San Diego Chargers come to town Sunday. A visit to the 12-0 New Orleans Saints comes after that.

Yet, here was the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys on Monday, telling the media that there’s nothing special about December.

In fact, the Cowboys are winners, Wade Phillips said. Just add up the smiles.

“Well, they’ve won eight games and they’ve lost four,” Phillips said Monday at Valley Ranch. “That’s where we are.

“I don’t think we have a team of losers.”

No. Not yet.

But CBS11-TV’s Steve Dennis, who asked the original question, made a proper point when he reminded Wade that the coach’s “winners” hadn’t exactly won anything of substance lately.

“No,” Phillips answered. “We haven’t lost anything, either.

“I think they’re winners. They’ve won eight games already. You wouldn’t call 8-and-4 a winning team?”

Oh, wonderful. The Cowboys lost a meaningful game to a division rival at, perhaps, the worst possible time, and the coach is going to argue semantics with the media?

The stage for Monday’s mini-showdown probably was set at Giants Stadium on Sunday, when Phillips told the media in his postgame interview session that the Cowboys’ habitual post-Thanksgiving woes are “something you made up.”

Right. We’ve had 13 years to make it up.

It’s been that long since the franchise’s last playoff victory. It’s been that long, 1996, since the Cowboys forged into January on anything resembling a high note.

But Phillips’ spin campaign with the media seems to be the same line of fluff that he’s currently dispensing to the team — namely, that past Decembers don’t matter. The players, he says, need to focus on the December games ahead.

That led to another trip on the verbal merry-go-round Monday, as Wade tried to void ownership of the franchise’s recent “track record” in December games.

This Cowboys team doesn’t have a December track record, Phillips said, because it hasn’t played all of its December games yet.

“You can’t say this year’s team hasn’t done that, because it hasn’t come up yet,” Phillips said, nodding as if he had just nailed his word in a spelling bee.

Well, duh. At least he didn’t start handing out pocket schedules.

The problem, of course, is that Circling the Wagons is seldom a problem-solving strategy. And the Cowboys do have problems.

click on the link above for the rest of the article

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/7873/have-reporters-fabricated-cowboys-woes

Have reporters fabricated Cowboys' woes?

In case you missed it, Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips accused a local reporter of "making up" a theory that suggests his team has struggled mightily in the month of December. Of course, the NFL now has a process by which they actually keep track of which teams win or lose on a weekly basis.

In my weekly column for ESPNDallas.com, I explore Phillips' contention that local reporters have fabricated the Cowboys' Decemeber record in an attempt to discredit the affable coach. Here's an excerpt for those of you who have not mastered clicking on hyperlinks:

Much like their affable head coach, Cowboys players insist they're not concerned about past Decembers, only this one. But it's foolish to suggest that the past is not weighing this team down. Phillips wants us to consider his overall record with the Cowboys and he suggests that September games are just as important as the ones in December. We all know that's not true.

A wise man in my home room class in fourth grade once said the first step in solving a problem is admitting you have one. Rather than constantly defending his legacy, Phillips would do better to take this thing head-on with a poignant statement such as, "I've really stunk it up in the winter months."

We admire someone who will admit his faults and provide a clear plan for how to correct them. We're all going to have our fair share of fire hydrants in the road.

“No,” Phillips answered. “We haven’t lost anything, either.

“I think they’re winners. They’ve won eight games already. You wouldn’t call 8-and-4 a winning team?”

Oh, wonderful. The Cowboys lost a meaningful game to a division rival at, perhaps, the worst possible time, and the coach is going to argue semantics with the media?

This proves it: Ken is Wade Phillips.

Son of Bum's lack of leadership and refusal to impart any accountability is stunning. The man is a good DC. That is his sweet spot. He is not HC material. I hate listening to this man speak, he's an embarrassment.

STOP making me like you!

Archived